Individual mode

Just out of curiosity, those of you driving on individual mode, what is your setup? And why?

I have a mostly highway commute to and from work of about 20 miles (34 km). Much of it is single lane each way with limited overtaking opportunities to get past heavy vehicles and bad drivers. I love the power and torque of my 184 hp Scout but with the high cost of fuel in Norway, also mindful of the economy.

You mean the profiles selectable by the "mode" button?

Im curious about that aswell. Does it really do anything usefull?

How does the sportmode differ from selecting sport with the dsg?

Firstly, there is no alteration of fuel/air MAP, no more power, it just affects the throttle responce and if you have DSG, the gear chamge points.  In addition, Sports mode weights up the power steering a bit.

Eco mode = lower rev gear changes and slower delayed throttle responce also, Eco disengages the drivetrain whe you lift off the throttle to allow free wheelling

Normal mode = average rev gear changes and an accurate throttle to pedal responce although, I feel the fly by wires pedal delay

Sport mode = higher rev range gear changes (never below 4K) and usually at the redline, kick down mulitple gears when you floor it, if I'm in Sports mode on CC at 80mph its in 7th, floor the pedal and it changes down to 4th and doesn't change up into 5th until100mph at the redline. The throttle is shortened also ie. half pedal = full throttle, ths all makes the car very responsive, vRS's do alter the sound levels of the false engine noise.

Notes. Eco mode is ok but, you've gotta remember the throttle lag/delay when you see a gap in traffic, Sports mode is noisy and allerts police with speed traps you're coming, CC in any mode saves fuel although, will not allow Eco to free wheel.

In Northern Norway the diesel is about £1,3 and unleaded 95 £1,5. Its a bit cheaper down in sourthern Norway.

This with a exchangerate of £1 = 10NOK.

Not sure about the exact rate atm, but its in that neighbourhood.

In Australia, the diesel price is now $1.25 AU which is about 0.69 pounds.  Petrol is now under one dollar AUD with discount dockets.  Love this at the moment as 6 months ago diesel was $1.60.  Currently very cheap to run my VRS TDI.

I found that the Eco mode suited the car better in the recent snow we had, it softens the response of the 184 in the poor conditions .

As far as the other modes go I find normal with a knock back of the stick into sports position more than ample. :whew:

• Like 1

But what about Individual mode? Has anyone set this up and is using it instead of the preset modes (Normal, Eco, Sport)? I have been using Eco lately but find the ACC response too slow, leading me to consider Individual mode with most options set to Eco and ACC set to Normal.

I must admit, I tend to leave mine on normal for day to day driving (2.0tdi DSG). Sports mode isn't suited to a diesel engine in the slightest (why buy a diesel to change up at the redline?? it's well past the torque curve) and in Eco I find the DSG box to be quite awkward in matching the revs when it comes out of coasting mode - plus it is far, far to lazy out of junctions and roundabouts.

Once or twice a month I will put it in Individual mode for a long motorway drive - everything is set to normal except the steering which I have on 'sport', it seems to help in cross-winds and is generally more suited to the straight road.

Edited by jon_r

As far as the other modes go I find normal with a knock back of the stick into sports position more than ample. :whew:

+1 but beware of doing it before the engine is warm, flooring it in sports mode with a cold engine not only does your engine harm it also can bring up an EPC warning and shut the engine down into limp mode, not what you want when you were about to overtake !!!

Yes, I am using Individual.

I've put same settings as Sport Mode except for the Engine (I selected normal).

I've been explained in the forum that the engine was reset to normal at each start-up (with the dsg) to save the gearbox. Consequently I keep now normal and use the gear shift to go sport.

For Air Conditionning, I selected Eco initially but it turned out not to be sufficient in winter to avoid the formation of moisture on the windshield.

On mine (manual) I like the engine in sport, everything else normal. I know there is not actually more power available, but I do like the sprightly engine response in sport, makes it feel a bit more like my previous 1.8

I don't particularly want the heavier sport steering so leave that in normal, and the a/c mode I couldn't care less about!!

2.0 150 Elegance estate manual....Sport steering (as too light otherwise) but normal everything else.

The sport throttle map is crap on the 2.0 TDI 150 at least IMHO, the car is punchier and goes better in normal and the throttle is much easier to modulate. In other words I dont think it actually serves to make the car more reponsive to the throttle rather finding the sweet spots on the throttle is much more of a guessing game and makes it harder to drive swiftly as a result.

My 1.4 TSi is the opposite!

With engine in sport mode, when you want to accelerate smartly  it is as if you have changed down two gears and floored the throttle.

Rather nice and very predictable.

If at another time you don't want the grunt you just don't hit the throttle as much.

I use the Individual setting:

Steering - Sport

Engine - Normal

Lights - Sport

A/C - Normal

Like others have said, I prefer the heavier steering. I also found it strange when going from Normal mode to Sport mode and the steering has changed. The last thing I want when deciding to throw the car around a bit more are different control inputs. I also kind of like the headlights moving around to follow the steering :)

Edited by NetScaler

I know I could just go and play around, but I'm inside in the warm right now: Does the 'Engine' setting in the individual mode affect the Sound Generator? Might set it up to all sport except the engine if it'll make it a bit quieter at higher revs.