Towbar for Black Edition VRS anyone?

Hi,

Just bought my second Octavia (my first was a Mk1 VRS) which is a Mk3 VRS 2.0 Diesel DSG Estate.

Took it to the Skoda Garage in Maud today, and after much hunting around they cannot find a towbar for my car.

Yes, there is a towbar available for regular Mk3 VRS Estate, but Norman explained that it is because my car is a Black Edition and the bumper clearance is barely an inch (i.e. not enough).

I'll be honest, I didn't know it was a "Black Edition" when I bought it (I just knew I wanted another VRS Octavia), so I'm feeling a bit foolish that I've bought a "non standard" car which might not be able to tow anything!

Just wondering if anyone out there has any advice before I go back to the garage with my tail between my legs!!!

Would hate to have to put it back or sell it, as it is a lovely car.

Additional info: It is for towing an Ifor Williams Twin-Axle Box Trailer, and also a caravan with Alko ball stabiliser.

Thanks.

Hi,

Just bought my second Octavia (my first was a Mk1 VRS) which is a Mk3 VRS 2.0 Diesel DSG Estate.

Took it to the Skoda Garage in Maud today, and after much hunting around they cannot find a towbar for my car.

Yes, there is a towbar available for regular Mk3 VRS Estate, but Norman explained that it is because my car is a Black Edition and the bumper clearance is barely an inch (i.e. not enough).

I'll be honest, I didn't know it was a "Black Edition" when I bought it (I just knew I wanted another VRS Octavia), so I'm feeling a bit foolish that I've bought a "non standard" car which might not be able to tow anything!

Just wondering if anyone out there has any advice before I go back to the garage with my tail between my legs!!!

Additional info: It is for towing an Ifor Williams Twin-Axle Box Trailer, and also a caravan with Alko ball stabiliser.

Thanks.

never heard of a black edition mk3 vrs,is it a dealership special, i know the black edition octys have an added lower skirt on the rear bumper, but they were based on the se model,

Just had John from Skoda on the phone this morning. He told me that no towbar exists for my car.

Thanks for the feedback folks!

Looks like I'll have to part company with this car as that is a deal breaker :-(

Just had John from Skoda on the phone this morning. He told me that no towbar exists for my car.

Thanks for the feedback folks!

Looks like I'll have to part company with this car as that is a deal breaker :-(

Plenty of vRS owners on here have had towbars fitted without issues.

Why don't you take it to an independent fitter who is not completely stupid?

If they don't even have a clue what your car is or what they sell, how can you trust them to put the right towbar on?

Edited by Huskoda

Hi,

Thanks.

None of this seems quite right. Some sales people are saying that the black edition has VRS looks but a more comfortable, less harsh ride which is true. Are you completely sure it's a VRS and not an SE? If it has sat nav and you didn't add it as an extra, this is definitely the case.

There is an RS challenge offered outside of the UK that comes with Black pack and black (not anthracite) Geminis and sone other bits and bobs...but saw this is a UK car so year with the masses its just a Black vRS estate.

Towbar is available for that car for sure

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Decided to keep the car, and it is booked in for stock towbar fit a week on Monday. There will be some bumper mods required, but it will be out of sight underneath to all but the closest observers.

Also decided in the interim to go with full loom w/13pin electrics etc so in that respect I'm glad I've taken some time to research exactly what I needed.

Many thanks to Norman at Maud for answering my plethora of questions!

• 3 years later...

westy_towbar.jpg.f7f967990a3ceee229f61151c86e1ede.jpg

13 hours ago, Gaz2jake1978 said:

Hi Sadcafe just wondering if that towbar worked out ok for black edition estate vrs? Having similar problems with mine.

Holy thread resurrection batman....

just get on to PFjones and give them your reg. ive got a detachable westfalia fitted on my vRS, black edition is just a trim level nothing else. black paint on mirrors etc.

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Haha 1