temp gauge

stann01

hi, just a quick question, my temp gauge hardly ever gets to '90' it sits just below.

only a couple of times i have seen it be at '90'.

also the heater does not really blow really hot? on full any way.

does any one know whats going on with it?

thanks in advance.

If it's not getting to 90c and also the heater doesn't blow hot hot,  then it'll be your thermostat that needs changing.

get a genuine one along with the rubber o-ring from Skoda or VW parts dept.  

I changed mine in the summer,  the parts cost like £20 from VW.

Its very easy to DIY this,  the thermostat housing is located on the front of the engine block, so access is dead easy, nothing gets in the way really.

If it's not getting to 90c and also the heater doesn't blow hot hot,  then it'll be your thermostat that needs changing.

get a genuine one along with the rubber o-ring from Skoda or VW parts dept.  

I changed mine in the summer,  the parts cost like £20 from VW.

Its very easy to DIY this,  the thermostat housing is located on the front of the engine block, so access is dead easy, nothing gets in the way really.

Hi guys,

Sorry to hijack...

Having the very same issues as the OP.  Mines never gets to 90(just below), but my heating works fine !!  I feel my mpg is down 35mpg, no map ect.. just std ?

Do you think it would be the stat or the CTS or both ??

Cheers

Brendan

I was under the impression that the 1.9TDI should never actually reach 90, and read as "89" degrees. 

My heater blows hot air, but never reaches sits bang on 90, but a little below.

I'd agree that the temp guage tends to read just below 90C.

As to the heater, it could be airlocked; check that the heater pipes are hot and hard (ooh er mussis) when the heater is on and the engine is up to temperature. If they're still cool and squishy, sort that out before worrying about the thermostat.

IME failed thermostats never let the engine up to temperature, or cause overheating.

2004 1.9 vrs? Is it a hard swop on one of these. My temperature gauge goes up and down when going up and down hills? I thought it might be loose, but can't seem to find where it is in the engine bay. Have you any idea where abouts it is?