Budget big brake upgrade?

andee1234

This has no doubt been posted but im after a cheap option to a big brake upgrade, would i be looking at an octavia VRS setup? any other options to look at?

Im just thinking calipers off an OE setup that I could get abit cheaper second hand.

Im having issues with uneven braking, the pads are unevenly worn and the car dives so im thinking the calipers might need a refurb but I just want abit better stopping power in general now.

Thanks

The "normal" brake upgrade is to 312mm brakes from say an Octavia. You may get urn hands on this setup for around £100 give or take.

A "big brake upgrade" such as Brembo from a Seat Leon Cupra R or Tarrox brake callipers for example will set you back £400+

• Thanks 1

Bleed the full system witth fresh fluid and get some brembo discs and Ferodo DS pads, cheaper than 312 upgrade and better in my eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i totally agree. :)

Yeah im in a mapped VRS, the brakes are shocking! So I could possibly get a TT setup as well?

I wouldnt go down the LCR brembo route as its out of my price range, im just after a cheap upgrade really

I think you may need bigger wheels than the standard 16" alloys if you were to fit LCR brakes

Yeah im in a mapped VRS, the brakes are shocking! So I could possibly get a TT setup as well?

I wouldnt go down the LCR brembo route as its out of my price range, im just after a cheap upgrade really

im running 220bhp atm and the standard brake setup was cooked in 2 miles if I drove like a tit got tarox setup now and have tried to cook them and I can't !

Guest BigJase88

Decent discs and pads.

Had 312mm on my last VRS and shocking braking compared to aftermarket discs and mintex pads on my current stock brakes.

Use your noddle then

Uprated pads and new discs on 312's will murder the same setup on 288's

Common sense

Has anyone heard of or used Carbotech XP8 or XP10 brake pads? The guy's over on the Pulsar forums swear by them. Apparently the stopping power and it's ability to cope with heat are unrivaled although they suffer from brake squeal due to the nature of the compound.

This is what the owner of one of the Pulsar forums says about them. He knows his stuff and is very well respected over there, maybe worth a look into.

"without a doubt the best pad's on the market at the moment are the carbotech
supreme stopping power over any other pad ive tried so good for fast road and track alike (im running them on my gtr)
they are expensive to buy initially but they last over twice the length of other pads with hard use so are cost affective in the long run
downside is they are noisy and a bit dusty too"

Use your noddle then

Common sense

Use you're noodle then because you're spending twice as much when the op said he didn't wanna spend much :laugh:

Edited by tommccabevRS

Guest BigJase88

Use you're noodle then because you're spending twice as much when the op said he didn't wanna spend much :laugh:

Its all relative

312's discs and pads is 'not that much' imo compared to 323 brembo's discs and pads

Its all relative

312's discs and pads is 'not that much' imo compared to 323 brembo's discs and pads

I don't think there's a difference in the pad prices on 312's and brembo's it's just the discs. I'm due new discs and pads for my brembos and the Pagid discs on CP4L are about £73 or summet each -.-

Use your noddle then

Common sense

Ah okay then. Both single pot callipers and pad compound will make far more difference than the surface area difference.

Only IMHO and experience when using my noddle of course :)

Guest BigJase88

Ah okay then. Both single pot callipers and pad compound will make far more difference than the surface area difference.

Only IMHO and experience when using my noddle of course :)

Which is why i said 312's will be superior to 288's when both using same uprated pads

Plus they dont look like milk bottle tops

Has anyone heard of or used Carbotech XP8 or XP10 brake pads? The guy's over on the Pulsar forums swear by them. Apparently the stopping power and it's ability to cope with heat are unrivaled although they suffer from brake squeal due to the nature of the compound.

This is what the owner of one of the Pulsar forums says about them. He knows his stuff and is very well respected over there, maybe worth a look into.

"without a doubt the best pad's on the market at the moment are the carbotech

supreme stopping power over any other pad ive tried so good for fast road and track alike (im running them on my gtr)

they are expensive to buy initially but they last over twice the length of other pads with hard use so are cost affective in the long run

downside is they are noisy and a bit dusty too"

I have XP8s in my clio which I use as a track car. Awesome pad but verging on overkill for the road and you need to bed these in well ( i.e. Hammer till smoking) to avoid constant brake squeal which again using my noddle and experience (see above) might be difficult on road and with vrs callipers. I think they do a road pad - bobcat IIRC - and if it's as good as the XP8s it will be perfectly sufficient.

Looking at just over 200 for a set of XP8s.