Karcher v brake calipers

Had my diesel Vrs for around 6 months and been having quite a bad problem with brake dust build up on the Gemini alloys. I ve been reading on here and though that a jet wash might be my answer.

Today I've borrowed one from the brother in law to see how effective it is...

On the plus side it removed all the brake dust but on the down side my brake calipers are no longer red! It took the paint straight off.

I'm gutted. Will it just be a simple case of re painting the half of it that is no longer red, or will the remaining need to come off? Can I fix it myself?

If it was the Dirt Blaster you used, the silver lining is imagine if you'd used that actually on the car!

If brake dust is bugging you that much, try something like Bilt Hamber Auto Wheels; spray on, leave it a few minutes, watch it turn the brake dust purple and rinse off with a garden hose. If the brake dust build up is really bad, agitate with a wheel brush.

I use both the Karcher and Auto Wheels on a weekly basis during the summer (got my cold weather tyres and steel wheel combo on at the mo), and never had an issue.

Some people use a glaze or wheel Polish to stop brake dust build up.

Fin

2nd for Bilt Hamber Auto Wheels. Got some this week and it brought up the wife's Cooper S wheels a treat with minimal effort.

Ok I think I'll attempt to touch it up myself. I can see loads of topics and the Pantone for the green paint. Does anyone know the Pantone for the red caliper paint?

I'd seriously consider seeing if any of the remaining paint can be jet washed off too. Then use something like Carb Cleaner to make sure all the grease has been removed before drying and painting with one of the many red high temp caliper paints that are available off eBay - 125ml will be more than adequate for all four wheels.

I wouldn't stress about getting the exact shade as you'll be painting everything anyway.

Really, you struggle to keep the Geminis clean? I'm surprised as I find the design open and day to clean.  I just use bucket of water/car shampoo after rest of car is washed and sponge the front, reach around each spoke with the sponge then use an old washing up brush to get to most of the inside of the wheel and the callipers.  Front gets a poke with a toothbrush to get between the callipers and wheel.  When I had a puncture fixed the other day I saw the inside of the removed rim was spotless.

I use armorall shield for wheels, it sprays on then helps to stop brake dust build up, I use it every other wash and it does help to stop the build up dust on my Golus wheels. I don't do huge mileages so can't comment on how it will perform on higher mileage but might be worth a punt.

Did the lance you used make wandering circular patterns and a sort of humming noise ? If so, thats the dirt blaster lance and you can't use it on cars.

I use that on my car and I haven't had a problem with it (keeping a reasonable distance of course). The only place where it did some damage was that it took some of the paint of the bumper that was loosened by a stone-chip.

But I have heard your statement before, just never understood why.

As for the OP problem with brakedust, I just use the alloy cleaner (Nigrin, Sonax or Flowey) and it softens everything up enough to get rid of it with a simple sponge, though the callipers are a bit tricky (toothbrush?).

The Dirt Blaster has its own instruction pamphlet, even when you purchase it as part of a package, which states you should not use it on vehicle bodywork.

It's primary use is to strip crud of paving slabs and garden walls, paint/varnish from decking/garden furniture.

I personally wouldn't use it anywhere near my vehicle, not even the wheels. The vario lance is sufficient.

Fin

ah, cheers,

I inherited the thing and it came of course without any manual. Since I never get closer than 50cm and only use it to move off coarse dirt before I attack it with microfibre sponge I haven't seen any damage yet. The fact that it's candy white and non-metallic certainly helps.

I'll get myself a normal lance.

I had a similar concern with oxidisation of the brake discs when I first got the car which would cover the wheels within the next day or too.

Now, after washing the car (i have to drive home from the carwash) I make sure I use the brakes a few times to dry them off before I get home.

If its been raining, I usually take a towel & dry the wheels when I get home which also helps remove any brake dust thats accumulated.

When I swapped to me winter wheels (@ ~25,000km) I took my Gemini's to the car wash before I wrapped them up for the winter & gave the a quick wash with soap & water.

Even inside of the wheel looked almost brand new after a wash & wipe without using any chemical cleaner.

I guess wha I'm trying to say is, 5minutes every week or so really helps to prevent oil & dust build-up which can be difficult to remove later.

That's definitely a diy job.

+1

you can get brake calliper paint from amazon and while you can probably see the new and old transition, you will never realistically look that close, unless your car is going on tuning shows etc.