Turbo hesitation?

ok yet another new owner anxiety!

I have noticed that particularly when in second driving around a roundabout or similar low speed controlled manouvre, the car accelerates and then seems to hesitate (you can notice the lack of acceleration) and then pulls again after a second or so. Is this simply turbo lag or something more sinister?

Car seems fine when being booted its only this gentle type of acceleration that is needed when navigating tricky situations. And I know the answer will be 'just boot it everywhere!' but I have only had it a few days!! :rolleyes:

Mine does exactly the same thing (and always has), but I've never figured out if theres anything wrong or not. I think its just a 'feature'. I've heard others asking about the same problem on here.

I don't think its turbo lag, because as you describe it accelerates, then slows, then goes again, almost as if it thinks you are going to boot it, then decides you didn't want to after all.

IMO, Turbo lag is just the time spent waiting for the turbo to spool up after you boot it.

I do not think it is lag. I believe it is the pneumatic solenoid valve holding back boost until the RPM picks up, the ECU is limiting the power delivery, you need a remap!

I have the same in mine after a remap, when running on full boost it cant decide whether or not you mean it!. Turn boost down and its fine. Also if using 97 ron fuel its worse.

I bought myself a new N75 valve after a previous discussion to see if it would make a difference - but haven't fitted it yet :rolleyes:

Another thing with mine - it does it a lot less when the aircon is on! BTW mines permanently run on Shell Optimax.

Can't remember if ive tried to solve by switching ASR off - will give it a go at lunchtime...

The Diesels suffer from the same symptoms. I had the turnover/ changeover valve (possibly N75 or N18) changed under warranty and that fixed the problem. I think its caused by the wastegate/ valve not closing and causing a drop in pressure for a split second.

Although after 3 months my diesel is starting to play up again. :mad:

JD

just talked to a mate who has had a few turbo cars in the past and its more than likely boost spiking, caused by the extra solenoid alongside the actuator (enables a limp home mode if the ecu detects problems) being too slow to react to the boost ramping up and so you get the initial big boost, it then panics and cuts the boost before reacting again and allowing the boost to come back to the proper controlled level. only fixed by fitting a better aftermarket boost controller. interesting stuff!

ok yet another new owner anxiety!

I have noticed that particularly when in second driving around a roundabout or similar low speed controlled manouvre' date=' the car accelerates and then seems to hesitate (you can notice the lack of acceleration) and then pulls again after a second or so. Is this simply turbo lag or something more sinister?

Car seems fine when being booted its only this gentle type of acceleration that is needed when navigating tricky situations. And I know the answer will be 'just boot it everywhere!' but I have only had it a few days!! :rolleyes:[/quote']

Try cleaning and resetting the throttle body.

Does it happen when heated up or is it more noticable when cold ?

Any fault codes showing up ?

Mine did something similiar, had fault code 17705 and it needed a new DV (sticking when cold), its much better now.

Mine seems to hesitate in second at around 3500 revs. First, it accelerates really well, then it hesitates, then it's off again. Finding it quite irritating. Thought it may be just a vRS characteristic, but after reading this thread I'm not so sure! Car has only done 1800 miles!

Still experimenting with this but I find if I put foot down and it gets to point of holding back, a subtle kick off/on the pedal and away we go again. Is there an explanation for this? or could it be indicating a faulty DV or something.

• 2 weeks later...

My Seat Cupra has the same problem, mainly in first. You pull away and then its liek the turbo cust out briefly before kicking back in.

Seat have looked at it before but i had the "No fault code so no problem" answer! I wondered if it could be the MAF sensor, i have heard that they don't always show a fault code.

My 1.8t 4x4 is in the garrage now getting this looked at, same problem, second gear just seems to drop off, also yesterday i could not out accelerate a citreon c5 diesel!!! gutted!!

hope the garrage find the problem!

My vRS is in today too, *hopefully* getting this sorted. It's strange 'cos sometimes the car accelerates really smoothly, but then other times the hesitation happens- did it really badly in 4th the other day on 3/4 throttle. Seemed to lurch badly and have about 5 flat-spots!

I'll let you know what happens.

Well I have just picked mine up again, they said there were no fault codes, and they drove it and could not get it to happen, same here, it was playing nice on the way home!! don't know if this problem would show on a fault code or not, so will have to wait and see.

My VRS did this, I asked on this forum, but nobody wanted to help! I took mine to the dealer, they were really helpful, no fault codes came up but there was a split in a pipe from the turbo and they replaced a seal too! All on warranty I might add! Best of luck chaps!

Charlie, exactly the same with me! No fault codes and car is fine... so far. Interesting what martyc said- I'll have a good look around under the bonnet later.

Charlie, keep us posted if you find anything and I'll do the same. I definately wasn't imagining it!