Buying used Roomster - anyone got a view on what to get?

duotwr

Hi,

our Mk 1 Fabia is starting to get a bit creaky - it's been a great car over the last 7 years or so having cost hardly anything to maintain, and cranking up around 130k miles.

I'm looking for something to replace it which will serve as a family car for me, wife and 2 young kids. Mostly city driving, although with 3-4 longer journeys each year, when it'll be loaded up with camping gear etc.

I've been having a quick look at used Roomsters. I see I can get a 1.2 petrol 2011 version, with less than 20k miles on the clock for around £7k. Does anyone have a view on whether these are reliable, good value etc - and anything I should be looking out for when buying this kind of model/mileage?

any advice gratefully received.

Keith

Hi Keith,

I own a 2008/08 Roomster Scout that has a 1.9tdi PD engine. (no DPF) It's been a great car covering over 90k miles in my ownership.

Its now quite heavily modified (i took it over from my wife nearly two years ago).

If you can find one with a panoramic sunroof, I'd highly recommend this, the kids will love it and it makes the cabin really light and airy.

P1020619.jpg

Engine wise, I've not heard anything 'bad' about the 1.4tdi PD engines aside from some owners mentioning it felt underpowered.

That said my father in law has just traded in in 57 plate 1.2tsi which served him well for longer journeys and a number of well laden trips to Western France and back.

Lastly, if you purchase one with halogen projector head lights I would recommend installing an HID kit (around £30) to give much better range and beam pattern than any uprated bulbs I tried.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

We have owned a 08 Roomster 3 1.4 TDi for the last 6 months and it’s a fantastic family car, also pleased that we held out for a panoramic roof as said it does give the inside of the car a light and airy feel. The car is surprisingly entertaining on a cross country blast and relaxing on the motorway.

It did take some time find the right car, although it looks like there are many second hand Roomsters on the market many of them seem to be of low spec, many that we looked at for example didn’t have glovebox lid.

.....pleased that we held out for a panoramic roof.....

Yes, it makes an enormous difference to the car.  I would not want a car without one.

.....many second hand Roomsters on the market.....seem to be of low spec, many that we looked at for example didn’t have glovebox lid.

That will be the Roomster S  (poverty spec.)

Probably best avoided because of the lack of creature comforts and (in the case of pre-facelift cars) the use of low-power engines.

Thanks for the replies. Been mainly looking at used SEs - which I'd like to think include a glove box lid. To be honest, the idea that this was an optional item hadn't even occurred to me.

I'll do a bit more research on some of the differences. Panoramic roof and roof bars are two things that I'd like to make sure are on the model we get.

Keith

SE had the creature comforts e.g. glass roof, alloy wheels, sunset glass, aircon, electric rear windows and yes - glovebox lid.  But roof rails were an option.

Scout had most of the above including roof rails, but glass roof was an option.

Roof rails can be retro-fitted but at considerable cost because it involves removing the headlining.

I believe there is no roof rack available for a rail-less Roomster 

Good luck with your search.

I also agree with the others - I've an 08 '3' and the panoramic roof is just wonderful - I've the 1.6 petrol engine coupled with the DSG auto box and it's a pleasure to drive.

Would agree with the above Duo, they tick all the boxes re town and longer driving. Great cars, unbelieveable amount of space inside. The rear seats are slightly higher than the front ones, so kids love it as well as individual reclining rear seats!! I`d look for one with the tsi engine, no dpf problems, excellent economy and reliability. Get a minimum of an SE spec and as the others have said try for the panoramic roof, which came as standard on the SE after a certain date (but dont ask which)..Happy hunting :sun:

A little hijacking here!

I'm also lookin for a Roomster and one of 2 things on my list is the panoramic roof and cruise control. But sinse I now know you can install a CC afterwords it's ok. 

But my question are about the seats, does all seats have (don't know the word but the roll that you can adjust for your back)?

But my question are about the seats, does all seats have (don't know the word but the roll that you can adjust for your back)?

Assuming you mean lumbar support? AFAIK the Roomster does not have this.

It has regular 'up and down and reclining' options.

One year ownership of 1.2TSi 86hp.  I intend on doing a full review of my 'year' on this forum for what its worth  .  9,000 miles and later today first service (an oil change if thats what you call the first service!).

I have had the 105hp engine in a fabia  Monte Carlo before hand, and recently helped my sister acquire a Rapid with the 105hp engine.   The difference in performance is really marginal, only notice it higher up the rev range.

Look for the petrol tsi engine,  it really is a gem, the low down torque makes it feel like a oil burner with out the issues associated with a DPF.

You will find some cracking deals on SE spec, depending on the budget you have.

I love it.  My wife hates the 'look' but concedes its great to drive, and so practicable. 

I believe there is no roof rack available for a rail-less Roomster 

The X-Rack Stealth SQ works well. I have no roof rails and not willing to spend the outlay required to retrofit them plus there are stories of the holes rusting through afterwards.

Bought it on ebay for somewhere in the region of £30, obviously it's not a full size rack but we carried the tent easily on top, weight around 30kg. It could have carried more but managed to fit the rest in the boot. If there are longer items like ladders, canoes, christmas trees it copes with them well although you need to use the tow points front and rear for long loads extra security.

It's relatively easy to dismantle, fits on nearly every car, and the straps don't come through the windows unlike most soft racks. So my wind deflectors stayed safe.

post-86877-0-42402500-1424604129_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I also agree with the others - I've an 08 '3' and the panoramic roof is just wonderful - I've the 1.6 petrol engine coupled with the DSG auto box and it's a pleasure to drive.

Auto gearbox on a 1.6 '08 "3" is not DSG.  Conventional 6 speed.  I know 'cos I've got one !

Still a nice car and the conventional auto box is tough and reliable.  Much more thirsty than the 1.2 DSG though and VED is high.

Yes that's what I'm meant!

Not even the sport seats? Are there any other seats that is bolt on in the roomster from another skoda, vw that does have that?

Sport seats doesn't have adjustable lumbar support. They're available here in Finland with Dynamic Package but that's not available in every country. Seats are the same as in mk2 Fabia RS.

Here's image from my car (MY2014 Roomster Scout with a lots of extras):

IMG_0626.JPG

For another 3k you can have a brand new SE 86hp 1.2

Currently 9995

Put a lump down deposit bank the difference and use that to pay the finance if you can't stump up the full amount in one go

Or PCP it

Hello Jimmy Swede,

I wanted some lumbar support for my Roomster, and for my work Peugeot Partner van, solution a mesh backrest lumbar support bought off the internet for very little money, x2, they have an elastic strap that goes around the seat back, black steel frame plus fabric mesh, also gives better ventilation in summer;

I also use a Friel Wedge, a firm, strong fabric-covered foam wedge that sits at the back of the seat base, the mesh thing rests just above the wedge.

Richard