comfy ride

Recently my 2.0tdi Dsg elegance estate returned to my ownership and i can honestly say I have missed the smooth comfy ride it offers. I had genuinely forgotten just what a smooth and relaxing ride it offers.

What is starting to annoy me with mine is after just over 12 months of ownership is the amount of trim rattles that have developed during my 21,600-odd miles. The roads here in Leicestershire aint the best, but what has highlighted the issue is mine has gone in for a minor bodywork repair and I've had the use of a similar age (but much higher mileage) Passat - and that has no rattles/bumps or otherwise annoying in-cabin distractions.

My old Mk2 was perfect the whole time I had it - this new model is starting to drive me mad! I think a lot of the noise is generated by the variable floor in the boot, I have had in all the possible positions and still get the bangs and crashes.

• Like 1

Well not that it's any consolation to you steveb but that helps with my decision to now not spec the variable boot floor on my Elegance Combi that I've been pondering the last few weeks!!

• Like 1

Well not that it's any consolation to you steveb but that helps with my decision to now not spec the variable boot floor on my Elegance Combi that I've been pondering the last few weeks!!

It is a useful addition in many scenarios, so don't discount it just on my OCD low-annoyance threshold :D !

I think I need a couple of days' making adjustment and judicious use of foam/cardboard to silence it.  

Over here it's not standard on the Elegance spec, it's a €171 option. I've already specced up the car a lot, which will be money I won't see back when it's time to change the car! I can see how it would be handy in lots of ways but not sure if it's worth €171. Was just on to my dealer today to change the fog lights, just one of numerous times I've changed things around, think he's getting sick of me at this stage!!

Yeah, forgot it's a cost-option on the Elegance outside the UK. Wouldn't have specced it myself for sure. The heated screen and seats however have been a useful addition!

Yep, have gone for heated seats and screen, although by the time I get the car they won't be needed for a good while! Also went for leather/alcantara seats which is a €1450 option here!

To many rattles? Just turn up the rattle cancellation device :-) the car I'm using just had the front doors removed and thr rear tailgate so this doesn't bode well for being rattle immune. At least the ride is comfy enough

To many rattles? Just turn up the rattle cancellation device :-) the car I'm using just had the front doors removed and thr rear tailgate so this doesn't bode well for being rattle immune. At least the ride is comfy enough

Ha! Agreed - in my feckless youth that is exactly what I would have done; but as I've aged I tend to listen to Radio 5 Live more. So no antidote to the rattles :(  

Back on topic, the ride is more supple than the older model to me - UK winter roads notwithstanding.........pot-holes anyone?

Whaaaat? Standard here. Struggle to understand the regional differences on specs.

Both cost extra here in Finland too*. In fact I haven't heard of them being standard outside the UK.

*(I checked both for mine, the VBF gives some extra space for small items, and makes loading and unloading heavy items much easier. And the alcantara is just so much nicer than the alternatives.)

I think my 2.0l Diesel DSG Mk 3 rides worse than my 1.4 petrol DSG Mk2 FL estate. I think it's pretty choppy, only slightly improved by my tall profile winter tyres.

However, I went in a colleague's 2013 A4 Quattro estate the other day and it had an even more choppy ride than my car. The Bluetooth was good though.

I actually rather miss my 2010 estate. It was better built than the Mk 3. With the Bolero replaced by a good quality 2 DIN satnav with Bluetooth, DAB etc, it would have been a cheap ride. I like their looks much more than the Mk 3 and the leather interior and plastics were all superior to those in the current car.

But I sold it for £2000 more than I paid for it from the finance company when the PCP came to an end. And I got an extra three months' driving before it went.

I'm not really complaining! Will we all be buying petrol cars next time round?

The Dill

My apologies. Website/ internet/ computer issues. Saying it hadn't posted when it had

Thank goodness for that! I thought it was Groundhog Day :D  :D

• Like 3

comfy ride?

In town its bashing and crashing all over the place, and making lots of noises while doing so, which only increases the uncomfortables in my brain.

I do have non mulitlink version, I guess those with mulitlink are better ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Located (and removed) most of the cause of my anguish; it appears the plastic cubbies and covers to the left and right of the variable floor (where the retractable cover is stored when removed from its runners) are the cause. 

Bliss! As it's a company car I will put them back when the car is returned in a couple of years, but for now - no crashes and bangs to distract me!  :D And the rest of the interior trim appears to be reasonable well put together I've discovered since getting rid of the offending items.

Another advantage on removing these; with the bag/curry hooks just above this area, bags used to sit proud on these, now they're gone bags hang freely from the hooks (like in my MK2 Octy.

So the VBF can be removed - fully? I was under the impression it couldn't be?

No, just the 2 sides with flimsy covers and the plastic cubbies beneath - these were the source of many a rattle for me. Cheap plastic and loose fitting.

• Like 1