Absolutely Flaming Livid!

Such

that's been caused by a silicone "blade", only the devil, Satan himself uses one of those things!! I used one on a black magic mk1 and it ruined the paintwork..

time for a machine polish and detail :)

Right, got a response from Motorline when they received the letter.

Met with service manager today and the owner of the valeting company, who had a look around my car. The sun was partially out, so some marks could be seen, but not on the shaded side.

He commented, in his opinion, that the car had been resprayed on some panels, and had probably been buffed, so may have been already present. 

I gave my opinion on their washing technique and he came back with his many years of experience washing cars including bentleys etc and he has never had issues.

In his opinion, the marks are "completely normal, unavoidable for a car of my age and not caused by his valeters." Again they quoted new cars have the same marks.

The service manager seems to think it is impossible to get all the marks out.

I explained the car was definitely NOT in this state before it was washed by Motorline, as I had spent 3 hours 2 days before, cleaning the paintwork and applying sealant, so I knew what it looked like.

To  cut a long story short, both agreed that this is not bad and entirely NORMAL.  I find it hard to believe that someone so experienced in valeting can really believe swirl marks and scratches are unavoidable!

The owner said he could get it waxed for me, but that was about it.

The service manager said that if I paid for paint correction, and ALL marks were removed, then he would reimburse the cost - as he really believes it cannot be done.

So, three choices -

Accept their offer to polish and wax

pay for myself and claim back - but motorline will probably use some excuse to not pay

Let the court decide. 

I will consult my legal advisor for their opinion, but any suggestions are welcome

Cheers

Think you need to name the Valeting Company so none of us fall into the same fate

Hope you get a result in your favour

Company is called INTERCLEANSE, based in Crawley - car cleaning is a small part of their business  http://www.intercleanse.com/about_us.html

I did give them a call just now and was told they have a contract with motorline dartford.

I will be writing another letter asking motorline to accept the costs involved in repairing myself - a dual action polisher and the associated polish / pads,  OR accept the costs for professional paint correction.,

Lets see how that goes

Thanks

Paul

I like this bit-

One of the keys to the consistency we achieve is due to the fact that we supply a site supervisor to ensure standards are maintained and this is usually at no cost to our customer.

They are a charity??

I do have legal cover, which I have consulted, and they advised to claim under the sales of goods and services act, as my contract is with motorline, not the valeters, 

To  cut a long story short, both agreed that this is not bad and entirely NORMAL.  I find it hard to believe that someone so experienced in valeting can really believe swirl marks and scratches are unavoidable!

This is absolutley shocking mate- what a state your car was left in! :thumbdown:

The above quote makes it obvious that the company are 'valeters' pure and simple and have absolutley no knowledge of detailing.  I share your disbelief that someone who washes cars for a living can have no knowledge on the techniques that are frequently used by professionals and private individuals to not only correct imperfections such as the ones on your car but also to prevent them happening in the first place.

He's obvioulsy totally clueless and for this reason I would not let him anywhere near your car to 'polish and wax' it.

If you go to detailingworld.co.uk and have a search you will no doubt be able to find a detailer near you who comes recommended.

You might be able to get him to go with you to the dealer and explain what can be done to rectify the situation?

I would then say that the best course of action would be to pay for a full paint correction yourself.

Make sure you get it in writing that they will reimburse you if all the marks are removed and how they will judge that.  Any detailer worth his salt will get 95% of those marks out.

Worst case scenario is you end up paying £300-400 out of your own pocket and they don't cough up but at least you will have a shiny car! But I get the feeling if nothing is done about it you will always be annoyed when you look at the car.

Best case they pay up and you have a car which is in slightly better condition than before for not much outlay.

I really would avoid the legal route as I can't see it ever getting to court, never mind you getting a result.

It's a pity you are so far away- otherwise I could drive my car to them and show them how swirl/scratch free a 4 year old race blue Octavia can be :p  :D

Thanks Stevoraith

I have bought this today: http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher-menzerna-intro-kit/prod_720.html

So I will be having a go at doing it myself, after plenty of youtube watching!

I will be writing to them suggesting they reimburse me as I feel that is is reasonable

Thanks for your support

Paul

Thanks Stevoraith

I have bought this today: http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher-menzerna-intro-kit/prod_720.html

I will be writing to them suggesting they reimburse me as I feel that is is reasonable

Thanks for your support

Paul

Paul, you will get much more satisfaction doing it yourself. Have a look at detailing world as well.

For a full correction, especially first time, set aside a full day.

Thanks, I already spend about 4 hrs just washing, but will wait for the weather to improve

I will post my progress in the styling forum when I start

It'll be hard work getting those marks out with a DA unfortunately.

I have one and they are great machines but I can't help feeling you'd have been better letting a pro tackle your car.

It will take you far longer than a day to get a good improvement on the whole car.  I suggest that you have patience and aim to tackle a panel or two at a time, at least to begin with.

If you head over to detailing world, look at the guides that DaveKG put together.  I did a tuition class with him a few years back and what he doesn't know isn't worth knowing.  He's also now a school teacher so has a good way of explaining things.

Good luck!

Thanks Stevoraith

Thanks for your support

Paul

I can't imagine why they would agree to pay for a tool which you have no idea how to use

You might end up doing more harm than good, then what are you going to do

You'd have been better off going to a pro detailer first who would be able to give a good indication whether or not he could get the marks out, in which case Motorline have said they will re-imburse the costs

You'd have been better off going to a pro detailer first who would be able to give a good indication whether or not he could get the marks out, in which case Motorline have said they will re-imburse the costs

The service manager did say this, but i feel that he would look for any marks present to avoid reimbursement. I need to get this in writing from him too.

I fear another thread from the OP "where's my clearcoat gone" as the heading! Its worth getting a PDG esp if the car has already had correction. O dear!

Not sure why you think its already had correction? certainly not during my ownership, although the service manager does seem to feel that some panels have been resprayed - I again cannot confirm this as no accidents or insurance claims were recorded or admitted when purchased.

I may just take it to get looked at first by a pro detailer

Thanks

well took it to KDS in gillingham and was told that it can be corrected to better than new, their Gold detail, buy at a cost of £825+ vat. All marks would be removed

The chap also took paint thickness measurements, confirming that some panels had been painted, and a look under his bright light showed up more marks that I had not seen before!

Now, I would not expect motorline to foot the bill, even if the service manager agrees to reimburse if all marks are removed, as they only contributed to some of the marks,

I must say I was surprised to see just how many more swirls and previous buffer trails were revealed under a halogen light!

After seeing the real state of it now, I am kind of inclined to not pursue this any further, as I feel now it is unreasonable for Skoda to contribute to making good as I has not realized just how "bad" the paintwork is, although to the untrained eye, it still looks good!

I may just tackle it myself, one panel at a time..