TDI VRS - momentary losses of power

Hello everyone.

So after 4500 miles of driving I'm starting to notice a small issue developing with the car, I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same issue.

Driving along approx 1500-2000rpm, suddenly it feels like you have taken your foot off the accelerator, or a misfire is occurring. No fault lights or any codes registered - does this sound like the dreaded boost pressure sensor issue?

Also, I'm noticing an rattle from the engine bay when accelerating, only when the sound generator is off, I see there were a few threads about this before. But I'm not sure of the symptoms are the same.

Any experience will be handy, is there any Ecu upgrades available yet or pressure sensor upgrades?

John

I've had the issue with the feeling of taking your foot off since dot. It only does it on one part of one road in my area (going down hill) power comes back if I press the pedal a little more. It seems like some kind of fuel saving effort from the ECU as it right on the point the turbo really looks to come into play but I'd only be guessing. I've never seen it to be a problem though.

I had a rattle when I first got the car after about 1000-2000 miles which sounded like it was around the bulkhead and it turned out to be the drivers knee airbag rattling. Don't know if this is the same thing pal.

Mike

I've experienced a flat spot when driving on a trailing throttle when going downhill and pressing the throttle gently- is that what's happening? If so it's a 'characteristic' of the tdi, though I don't know what's causing it.

Cant say I really notice on my 150 TDI but understand its a characteristic of the TDI motors and not a fault....something to do with emissions control or something.

Given the car is drive by wire who knows what the ECU/potentiometer electronics are doing in that regard.

I don't think this is the same thing. I get it on flat surfaces and it didn't do it before I got the new boost sensor. It's not like the power loss we used to get on the mkii vrs

Guys

I have posted the answer I got from Skoda Customer Service on this very issue (the original title thread above) on the thread that MEB90 mentions above. 

Billy - unfortunately what you are saying makes perfect sense based on what Skoda have told me - the hesitation / flat spot is down to the flywheel protection software built into the ECU coming and cutting back the engine power under certain conditions which i can only conclude coeincide with maximum load being applied to the flywheel / clutch. 

I spoke to Superchips today to see if their chip upgrade cures the problem but they could not give me a straight answer because they have never seen the problem.  Their R&D work was done on a DSG based car and they didn't see any hesitation during the dev work but as Sworrall your car also is doing the same thing it doesn't look as if the problem just afflictes manual box cars which is what I was beginning to think.

We all need to complain about this issue when we go to our dealers otherwise Skoda are not going to do anything about the problem - that is very clear to me after the conversation I had with SCS again today.   

I'll be taking mine in soon. It's just getting a day I'm free to travel there and paying for a courtesy car. The explanation is bunkum for me as it only happens with very light/almost no throttle

Yes, I agree.  I am not impressed with the explaination I was given. This is not acceptable on a new car costing well in excess of  £20k. 

I find the problem worst on country roads where you can be on and off the throttle a lot.  I take it into the dealers and of course they don't see it as we go out on A roads.  I work out in the sticks so i travel down the same twisty roads every day and I see the problem every day.  Really spoils the car.  Certainly wouldn't recommend this model to anyone else unfortunately.  If the issue is software related they should be able to fix it relatively easily - assuming the clutch and flywheel is not a weak point on these cars?????

Sworrall - yes please let me know how you get on.  I will be very interested to hear what reason you get given for the problem.  If they even acknowledge it that is!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Mine doing exactly same, jan 14 vrS diesel manual. Driving on coast roads yesterday in traffic 35/45 ish. Did it about 5 times. Had it in twice they hook it up to laptop take it for a spin and tell me it's all ok. Not happy.

My does it too. It got worse in the run up to the second of my two breakdowns.

Pretty poor really. We can't all be wrong, so there is definitely an issue that Skoda either won't or can't fix.

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing to do guys is to complain to your dealer and if they don't listen and record the issue formally then make a formal complaint direct to Skoda customer service. 

Perhaps then they will do something about this problem.  If we do nothing then nothing will change.  I have been driving diesels for the last 20 years and none of the engines in the cars in question - some Skodas, have been as poorly set us that in my VRS.  "Simply Clever" is not an expression that comes to mind!