2015 Octavia Estate 1.4 DSG - City Stop/Start Driving MPG

As per the title, I would like to know the average MPG most be people get with city driving with plenty of stop and start on the Octavia 1.4 DSG Estate?

Thanks

Edited by chris1012

1.4 TSI DSG hatchback here. Most of my journeys are <5 miles, from cold I get around 30 MPG, when warmed up a bit more, 33-35? On a short trip to Tescos (1 mile) it's 28 :p

1.4 TSI DSG hatchback here. Most of my journeys are <5 miles, from cold I get around 30 MPG, when warmed up a bit more, 33-35? On a short trip to Tescos (1 mile) it's 28 :p

I guess on the estate I should be expecting less...

I guess on the estate I should be expecting less...

Very, very marginally.  The data on Skoda UK's website shows the estate weighing only 12kg more than the hatch - the equivalent weight of around a quarter tank of fuel.

Everyone WILL have a different answer to this question because there are too many variables and personal driving habits variations to take into account.

For instance I drive to the in-laws retirement village which is 1.5km away negotiating a 3 T-junctions, 2 mini-roundabouts, and about 150 metres of 1st gear across speed bump infested terrain. From a cold start and driving with reasonable care I normally get 8.5l/100 but if I have to use the A/C on a hot day then it drops to 9.5l/100.

Tonight I drove to the local late-night supermarket, about 1.3km with one less T-junction but flows better and no other traffic and drove REALLY carefully for economy (just for laughs) and got there showing 6l/100 for the journey. Cold engine start but ambient temperature was exactly 20 deg C.

TMWNA would probably do the same journey at 20 l/100.

I have the 1.4tsi manual estate but the Australian consumption figures for the DSG version show it as being about .5 l/100 more economical.

Put simply, you will get what you get, but the Octavia is better than most other comparable cars due to being relatively lightweight and with relatively efficient engine/transmission.

It is capable of good performance or great economy, just not at the same time.

• Like 1

You'll have to be doing many cold runs to get much below my fuelly sig.

I'm getting a bit worse than you ;)

I could blame the wife as she drives the short distance home from work every day, but it is more likely my heavy foot, I just love the 1.4 too much :D

As Gerrycan says, it depends how you drive, be gentle and it will be pretty good, drive like you stole it (but safely kids!) and you'll sup it dry quick, but hopefully with a smile on your face

I'm getting a bit worse than you ;)

I could blame the wife as she drives the short distance home from work every day, but it is more likely my heavy foot, I just love the 1.4 too much :D

As Gerrycan says, it depends how you drive, be gentle and it will be pretty good, drive like you stole it (but safely kids!) and you'll sup it dry quick, but hopefully with a smile on your face

Does the current 1.4 TSI still have that satisfying turbo whine when accelerating and awesome exhaust port noise when changing gears?

I drove one of the first gen 1.4 TSI engines on a Golf with a 6 speed manual for a while, and it was a hoot driving around town. Every acceleration resulted in an instant grin just because of the sounds.

Does the current 1.4 TSI still have that satisfying turbo whine when accelerating and awesome exhaust port noise when changing gears?

I couldn't say as I have the stereo wound up - I'm loosening up the canton you see ;)

Perhaps I'll notice more in the summer with the window down and the roof open :D

• Like 1

See my Fuelly for what I'm getting. It's mostly short stuff, trips of less than 5 miles plus a few of 10 to 15. Haven't done any long trips yet, and as I got the car mid-December it's all been done in cold weather with heater on, lights, heated seats when the wife's in the car, etc.

I averaged nearly 40 overall in my Mk2 FL, same spec, so I should think the Mk3 will improve significantly once I do a few long trips (and I've got a few coming up) and benefit from the warmer weather.

Oh yeah, any motorway/A roads trips of any distance especially with family in the car and you're into the mid 40's on the MPG

Oh yeah it does, sports mode in auto actual seems to hold it too long, most of the torque is done by 4K so, half throttle in normal mode gives better shove but, with some practise semi-manual in sport gives best results and allows you to play with the exhaust port noise to your hearts content. 

Whilst at 5am I generally get a clearish run but, since the 2008 economic downturn, more worried about their job security mid-managers are on the roads earlier and the later start time of work therefore, I get nothing like the clear runs I used to when I travelled at 3.30am, average speed back then was 59mph without using a NSL in a Mk2 TDI PD 140.

Ours is a 1.4 Estate manual and we're getting a long term average of 38mpg, but that's on longer city trips and the occasional rural drive.

The estate is only slightly heavier than the hatch, so will have little impact on city consumption and you're likely driving too slow for the estate's aero make much difference either.