Brake Pads (front) Advice 170hp tdi

servicepoint

Noticed yesterday that the car wasn't pulling up so quickly as before and as the car has now covered 27k milles its probably due front pads. I would normally just change them over myself and as the winter wheels will be coming off shortly it will be a good time to do the pads.

Can anyone recommend some pads, Mintex, Ferodo, Mintex or whatever and is there anything I should be aware off, is there a wear indicator sensor or anything like that or is it just a straight forward swap over?

Thanks.

I do quite like EBC pads and was thinking Greenstuff at £48.95, problem is when looking at then there are two options, VW calipers or ATE calipers, what would I need?

Edited by servicepoint

Out here Bendix Euro pads are advertised as being specifically designed to reduce rotor wear rates, but as mine has only done 28,000km and they are hardly worn, it'll be some time before I need any - but I'd love to know if anyone has given them a go or has their reputation become irretrievably lost?

SP,  "VW callipers or ATE callipers, what would I need?"

On the calliper itself, normally embossed on the metalwork is the makers mark. ie    "ate" or whatever.

ps. http://www.brakes4u.co.uk/super_search-jon.asp?vt=52       you can do it by reg number. 

Also compare here.      http://www.carparts4less.co.uk

Edited by Carlo diesel

Thanks all.

Nobody changed them over themselves and have any recommendations?

If it's any help they are the same as an Octavia - you might get some answers in the brake threads over there.

The VW / ATE / whatever supplier they are using this week are all the same basic single piston floating caliper. i like to pull it all apart to clean & lubricate so you need the correct tool for the slider pins & the correct tool for the caliper mounting frame (sorry, i can't remember what size they are). You can lever the piston back in with a big screwdriver when the caliper is still on or remove it & use a G-clamp. it's all pretty basic & common to many makers.

looking at that carparts4less site, I'd go with ATE pads (ATE ceramics if you can get them as they are very low dust & work well) or Textar. If you can get the ATE Ceramics then get the matching ATE rotors as they give a guaranteed lifespan with that combo. Otherwise, get the Textar rotors as well.

If it's any help they are the same as an Octavia - you might get some answers in the brake threads over there.

The VW / ATE / whatever supplier they are using this week are all the same basic single piston floating caliper. i like to pull it all apart to clean & lubricate so you need the correct tool for the slider pins & the correct tool for the caliper mounting frame (sorry, i can't remember what size they are). You can lever the piston back in with a big screwdriver when the caliper is still on or remove it & use a G-clamp. it's all pretty basic & common to many makers.

looking at that carparts4less site, I'd go with ATE pads (ATE ceramics if you can get them as they are very low dust & work well) or Textar. If you can get the ATE Ceramics then get the matching ATE rotors as they give a guaranteed lifespan with that combo. Otherwise, get the Textar rotors as well.

Thanks.

The ceramics sound good, that's what I line about the greenstuff pads, very little dust.

I hadn't thought about changing the discs, I'll give it some thought, always liked the tarox discs, wonder if they do a drilled and grooved disc for the yeti?

Are you after an uprated pad or a standard OE spec pad?

EBC are on my list of 'never to touch again' btw due to awful previous experiences - their greenstuff pads and their 'turbo' disks.

Are you after an uprated pad or a standard OE spec pad?

EBC are on my list of 'never to touch again' btw due to awful previous experiences - their greenstuff pads and their 'turbo' disks.

Probably uprated.

I've had a couple of sets of greenstuff on my Impreza and found them to be pretty good, matched with Tarox discs. For the Yeti I was just thinking of changing the pads so it might not be worth uprating them as I wouldn't be doing the discs?

Searched and found ATE ceramic however they show two.. one at 146mm length and another at 155mm, how do I know which ones fit, sates both for the Yeti 170?

I did the fronts on mine (a CR170) a couple of weeks ago.

As here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/345460-done-some-brake-work-today

After good experience with EBC Yellows on previous cars, that's what I went for, but with standard discs. Yellows are R90 approved too, if that bothers you.

Got fed up of the droning from grooved discs on previous cars when they get properly hot, so stuck with standard.

Oh and there aren't any wear indicators on my car. Had to snip the wire off the new pads.

Edited by muddyboots

Oh, and the sliders on mine need a 7mm allen bit to remove, and the caliper carriers need to come off if you want to change the discs, fairly large bolts (19mm rings a bell).

If you're just changing discs though, should be OK to leave them where they are, although it's easier to give them a good old clean up with a wire brush if you take them off.

I did the fronts on mine (a CR170) a couple of weeks ago.

As here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/345460-done-some-brake-work-today

After good experience with EBC Yellows on previous cars, that's what I went for, but with standard discs. Yellows are R90 approved too, if that bothers you.

Got fed up of the droning from grooved discs on previous cars when they get properly hot, so stuck with standard.

Oh and there aren't any wear indicators on my car. Had to snip the wire off the new pads.

Great information.

Thanks.

Anyone explain why two sizes are available?

Edited by servicepoint

Really? I know 2010 models have it so that's a real surprise to me.

With OE spec pads you can just replace the pad and not the disc (as long as it doesn't have a lip of course) but for the more expensive/higher performing pads its a good idea to bed them in together from new. If you decide on the pad, most sites then have an app that allows you to put your registration plate in to identify the vehicle - this will usually tell which specific pad you need to order. However its more than deciding you want Ferodo or Mintex or Textar as they are all available in different compounds/versions ie Ferodo do OE spec pads (which are good for the money), DS2500's (my personal favourite when matched with the 312mm disc on the Yeti), DS3000's which are more track orientated etc etc. Some places also use a name to trade a product even though they aren't as good in general quality terms ie Pagid discs sold via ECP.