Paranoid about DMF. Please help.

Hello everyone, just read lots of horror stories about failed DMFs and I'm getting paranoid as car will be out of warranty soon. Could you please listen to the recordings below and let me know if you can hear anything sinister? Dealer says all is fine, but as I said I'm paranoid.

Car is 2.0 TDI 140 DSG, almost 3 years old, with 37000 miles.

Thanks

View My Video

View My Video

Edited by jozisko

Sounds pretty normal, though it's hard to tell from a recording as the quality of the sound after recording on a phone microphone and audio compression isn't likely to be very accurate. Have a listen for the metallic noise on this recording and the way it goes away for a while after he blips the throttle for comparison though: 

The usual symptoms of a failing DMF are juddering on pulling away no matter how smoothly you let the clutch in (Not to be confused with the slight hesitation felt moving off for the first time when the engine and gearbox oil are cold - this should be long gone by the time the temperature gauge starts to move). Usually as they are failing they develop free play, so sometimes when going from putting power down to overrun such as driving over the top of a hill you'll feel a clunk too.

If there actually is something wrong, don't be tempted to replace the DMF on a common rail TDI with a single mass flywheel as there have been enough reports of crankshaft and bearing failures as a result of the extra stress a single mass flywheel transfers to the rest of the engine on these units. The CR's were designed for DMF from the beginning while older engines got DMFs as add-ons after being designed for single mass originally.

The best test for a worn DMF is to accelerate hard at a slow speed (30mph) in too high a gear (6th).

If it judders all is not well.

I get slight vibration when I do this. But that was always the case I don't think it vibrates more than it ever used to. 

Thanks for the replys guys. 

To preserve the life of the DMF it is advisable to minimise the strain you place upon it.

For this reason I often change down earlier, keep the revs a little higher than usual and definitely ignore the gear change indicator on the dash - this is designed purely for improved fuel consumption - not the longevity of the mechanicals.

My thought is that a few extra pounds spent on fuel is easy shadowed by a premature DMF replacement.

Bough my used 2010 superb 2 months ago, had it 2 weeks when noticed odd sound. A new dmf, clutch and a reconditioned gearbox housing (clutch breaking up damaged it) later cost the garage I bought it off £1750!!! Just to cheer you up!

hello all,

12/12 140 s combi manual. just completed 143k in 2 years plus.

no hint of dmf probs.

Is that miles? Either way that is a serious amount of driving in that time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hello,

that,s miles.   3 problems along the way.

fuel tank sender unit seal@ 19k,

clutch master cyl @ 107k,

alternator failure @ 134k, otherwise faultless.

now sold @ bought a 13/63 140 s combi dsg.

a doodle to drive @ hopefully reliable.

thankyou to all forum members for great info.

cheers.