Greater Manchester

M30 7LW

0161 788 0471

New Car Sales

Authorised Repairer

Approved Used Car Sales

Business Sales Centre

Originally posted by Witchfinder - 29-10-2003, 13:13

Given my recent experiences with Claybank's service department, I have to change my vote to a "no". Buying from them was a good experience, but I won't be taking my car back there in future.

• Like 1

Originally posted SilveRS - Fri Jan 30, 2004

Pros; good initial purchase of car, sales staff were helpful and the service managers were helpful and friendly when dealing with some warranty issues.

Servicing costs seem reasonable for a franchise dealer.

Cons; some of the mechanics are very unhelpful and rude. I’ve never to a dealership and told to shift my car before by a mechanic. I partly blame this on the lack of room they have but some of their staff need to go on a PR course.

Curtsey cars are abysmal and have probably led me to make some ‘off hand’ comments on Felicia’s. If you’ve had the Claybank curtsey car experience then you’d know what I mean.

Overall, I would not recommend this dealership unless price was a factor, and even then I would suggest you take it for service or after sales elsewhere, especially if you need a curtsey car.

• 1 year later...

Very poor basically.

Sales staff were rude and disinterested. The service staff were totally unaware of when the cam belt should be changed on a Octavia VRS.

The car actually looked better pre valet as post valet it had polish pouring out of every hole and the polish hadn't been properly applied anywhere on the car.

Oh and they also forgot to stamp the service book, and when I went back to pick it up the next week they still hadn't done it (even though they said they had), so I had a nice 100 mile round trip for nothing.

Car was also sold has being on variable servicing, but the service light came on bang on 10k from when it was last serviced.

Car was also supplied with a directional tyre as a spare (so only any use for one side!) and it was damaged as well.

Also lied about work being done under the warrenty sold with the car having to be done at their garage. (it can be done at any garage)

Car is great (although, the steering now has play in it after only 4 months), but the garage were a bunch of cocks from beginning to end.

• 5 weeks later...

Well each to thier own opinion

I have always found Claybank very good

But you should always deal with the "Organ grinders" not the "Monkeys"

The Sales Manager, "Henry" is great. He helped me out with my options an my lease car and gave a cracking discount.

I find you get out of any situation what you put in !!

If you start off with an attitude, treating people like "Cocks" then you must expect a poor service in return.

Victor Meldrews or what

I bought my Octy vRS off them 4 years ago and found the sales experience to be OK. Since then we have bought 2 Fabia vRS's from Simpsons in Colne and found the sales experience to be far superior to that of Claybank.

The service dept on the other hand leaves a lot to be desired and I did not speak to them like ''*****''. It took them 3 days to diagnose a failed water pump, which is a common problem. There are a few more incidents of poor service that I can recall, and is why I shall not be returning to Claybank for service, or to buy another car.

Bought my car from here, Sales staff great, serviced the car (including tracking) and let me do some 'extended' test drives in it.

Like others have said aftersales does sometimes let them down, they are pricey and I had the excess polish treatment however I got a new micra for a C/Car which I was more than happy with.

Having spent sometime in their 'new' workshop up the road it seems things are on the up but as with everything it takes time. This place has come a long way from being a little car dealers to a 'large' franchisee.

• 1 year later...

Was at Claybank a few weeks ago enquiring about a 48h test drive on a Roomster

Salesman was friendly and even gave me a guided tour of a Superb so I could judge its space and size which makes me think the Roomster is a better vehicle when I come to buy another Skoda.

But I haven't heard back from them.

• 2 months later...

Having recently had my 05 TDI serviced by Claybank, I can recommend this dealer.:thumbup: The service was very good, the car was cleaned and they fixed a couple of minor warranty issues on the same day. The curtsey car was a nice little Fabia that was clean, and I didn’t have to arrange it with my insurance, unlike Horners:mad:

Subsequently I changed my car with them last month and will now have the new one serviced by them.

• 8 months later...

Just had a small warranty job done on my Octy VRS CR TDi

Considering they are now really busy since Horners has now gone

I still found them to be helpful and courteous

They phoned me yesterday to say the part was in, and were able to fit me in today no problem

Hope they can keep it up :)

• 1 month later...

After i recently purchased a vehicle from claybank i would not recommend them. I dealt with Henry the assistant sales manager and he is a good promiser but a bad keeper. I have ended up with having to do the work on the car that they promised to do for me myself all i can say is its a good job i'm a car mechanic because they were not even going to do the timing belt and it was over 4 years old so that says it all for there service deparment. But now are getting things sorted out.

Edited by MOTOBOY 423

• 2 months later...

Found them really keen and intersted when I bought my Octavia - low miler. But when I asked for a spare key it took them about 6 months to obtain! Some of the xcuses were classic! The front discs were not up to scratch but they would only pay half replacement costs. They said it was due to the car being a low miler - I paid a premium at the time for such a car! They want it all ways. Next Occy VRS and Fab Vrs was bought from Alex Lawrie . Great service and after sales unlike Claybank ( 2/10)

• 3 weeks later...

I have owned my Octavia Vrs for two years, purchasing it new from CLAYBANK. During my ownership I endured the incompetence of Henry at the point of sale, the dismissive nature of CLAYBANK management when I returned the third time to have defects rectified and what could best be described as the debacle that is their customer service department.

I intended buying a new diesel Vrs estate when my present agreements ends and have steadfastly refused to leave CLAYBANK in spite of their continued abuse of my loyalty. My latest visit to them (May 09) has left me doubting my sanity by staying with them.

There are two sides to every story, good luck. I have had enough.

Only ever used the parts department on the otherside of the M60. Bought replacement coil packs, which were cheaper than aftermarket ones from local motor factors. Also had to get a replacement locking wheel nut, sold me the one out of their master set rather than me having to wait for a new one to arrive, have found them to be helpful and courteous. Not had to use main showroom or service (get that done at Awesome) so have no idea what the staff are like, but from what i've read from the post above sounds like i'm not missing anything.

I first visited Claybank two years ago. I had to go to their cramped dump of a service centre to buy some parts, and was treated to their mechanics driving in 3 different cars and doing a handbrake turn in every one of them to line them up with the ramps. Second time, earlier this year I couldn't even park so I left.

• 1 month later...

I got my 54 Fabia vRS from here in early 2007. The car was jump-started by the owner of the dealership off a battery pack, which somehow damaged the dash unit, frying the electronics! I noticed this as soon as I drove the car off the forecourt for the test drive, and they insisted that it had been fixed when I picked it up the following week. It hadn't, and continued to play up so I took it in twice, for a combined total of three weeks during which time their 'electricians' couldn't work out what was wrong with it(and no I didnt get a coutesy car till I demanded one, then it was a mucky little 1.2 53 plate Fabia that stunk of cig smoke/ash!:thumbdwn::thumbdwn:) During my second week of driving the scabby little run around to and from work I went and bought the haynes manual, sat down with a brew and traced it to the box of tricks in the display. I then phoned their workshop and told them what it was, and low and behold the next day they told me that they'd found it, replaced it under warranty and it was ready to pick up! Then I made the mistake of taking it in for a service twelve months later, during which they phoned me to tell me it needed new discs and pads all around and that it'd be about £300 all in. At the time I didnt have the time to do it myself so I told them they could do it. Next day I picked the car up, and was asked for the sum of £593:eek:!!! Even with the cost of the sevice that was WAY over what they'd said it'd be, but, as they'd done the work, I knew I wasn't getting my car back without coughing up, so i paid it. The moral being get it in writing before saying 'yes'! I discovered just last month whilst doing my own service that the air and oil filters were the ORIGINALS, which they'd supposedly changed at its 40K service the year before!!:rotz: I've since refused to take it back for service *******************************

Edited by DGW
Inappropriate mention of another company deleted.

• 2 months later...

Claybank seem to have had a mixed response.....i bought my vrs 7 months ago and so far all has been well. The salesman (Mohamed) was friendly and polite and i went back a few times testing different cars-he didn't pester me, just let me do it at my pace:thumbup:

After i bought the car it had to go back in to have the rear elec window fixed which i didnt even know about until i tried it a couple of weeks after i bought it and before i could ring them, they rang me! It was fixed without fuss as it should be under warranty.

I have taken it in twice to check oil consumtion and it was thouroughly checked over-i was told there was no problem in me bringing it in if i was unsure and that this was the best and safest thing to do. I was also told that although they found nothing wron with it, if i was worried, to take it in and they would check it again.

Have had no probs with them so far and Mo still gives me a wave when i beep as i pass on the way to work:thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

I am shocked to hear your experience @ claybank,having met the new guy,in service he told me the reception was being moved from one end of the showroom to the other

( it looks much better now) the car park was rammed because about 90-160 cars were

being delivered due to the scrappage scheme over sept & october also the scottish guy was very helpfull,advised me on what my car required & delivered what he promised.I would recommend him:thumbup:

Edited by brianr1

• 2 weeks later...

Well a year in the life of a Superb owner and 1 service later. Got the car (company) Nov 08 and were great in supplying and delivery, faultless.

PDI hadn't been completed fully as both headlights were pointing sky high and the xenons were blinding anyone coming the other way. Though they rectified it on the spot when I took it in, initially they didn't believe me until after hooking it up and then using the MOT light test box.

My fogs fogged up and after taking it in and showing them, they ordered new ones and called me upon delivery to install. Faultless

Last weekend, 18k service and mixed thoughts. It was a weekend and they expressly asked me to be there before 9am, so I was. Technician had the keys to my car in his hand stood in front of the vending machine at just after 09:30. The car was ready by 11am but given it was a Saturday I would rather have walked out around 10:30.

When I called to book the car in I mentioned it needed wiper blades and when I handed the keys over I repeated it needed wiper bleades, however upon collection I was told "we have no wiper blades in". Hmm. When handing the keys over I was told recall work on the fogs needed doing, but I pointed out mine had already been swapped out.

Not sure if it was because it's a lease car, but no wash, no vacuum which I've had on nearly every other brand of car in the last few years.

Still year on, love the car, might try Preston next service as I live mid way between the two.

Well a week on and Gary took the trouble to call me to ask about my comments about the service, especially as it was he who supplied the car and as I commented before was "faultless"

He also enlightened me to the fact that the wiper blades are supposed to be long life and as such, they haven't supplied any yet as not needed to replace any. He asked me to bring the car in to ensure that they and the windscreen are fully degreased. Faith restored :thumbup:and good to see the forum works and it would appear opinions count.

Edited by beaker656
Dealer Feedback

• 2 months later...

My car was booked in for a Longlife service and I was told it would be ready in the evening - I needed it to go away with work that night.

When I dropped it off on the Monday, I was told that the belts and tensioners would need done as wellas new rear pads.

Needless to say the car was not ready in the evening so I had to travel 300miles in a 1.2 3cylinder Fabia!

However, when I picked the car up on the Thursday, I was given a free top up bottle of oil...which was nice.

Steve

• 6 months later...

I took my Octavia II to Claybank to diagnose a whining noise. They said it was due to feathered tyres and I needed a 4 wheel alignment plus new tyres. I had this done and it made no difference. My local VW dealer diagnosed it as a failed rear wheel bearing, replaced it and hey presto...the noise has gone. Pity the unecessary tyres and alignment cost me over £500....total cost £813. Who says the motor trade is getting better!!

Steve

• 2 months later...

I bought my car from Claybank Eccles brand new, its now been just over 3 years since ive had my Octavia 1.9TDI PD Classic and to be quiet honest am shocked that ive not had any problems with the car, the mileage is on 85000 and its just had its 4th vairable service and ill tell you what......

They have been amazing through out the 3 years of getting my car serviced by them, The guy at servicing "kieth" has always done a great deal, also the guy at parts "Alistar" does a good deal for you.

All it takes is to ask for a discount and they will surely look after you. :)

But am not quiet happy with the courtesy cars (too small) and the waiting list for booking one of them. :wonder:

Edited by A.Khan