Fred Rees Garages Ltd - Haverfordwest

DGW

Originally posted by Drummond28 - Mon May 2, 2005

This Garage has Serviced my three Superbs. Firstly my Lease car, and when that was returned the Ex Demonstrator which I purchased from them. I was so impressed with their standard of care I eventually purchased a brand new Superb off them.This is a well established family run business and the owners are on hand to discuss any issues that may arrive. Some attention to the workshop is neccessary but I am a bit picky on things.

Tried to convince me that my non-standard air filter was the cause of engine stuttering and loss of power. Wouldn't believe me that it was the air mass meter at fault (known problem) and refused to replace it. After having the car for a week they finally decided that they couldn't work out what was wrong and humoured me by changing the meter, ET VOILA, it worked, - cowboys

• 6 months later...

Have complained about intermittent alarms over the three years my car has been serviced there. Last november a computer module was replaced at some expense. Now, May 2006, intermittent alarms again. Am trying double locking at night.

• 1 year later...

Be warned this garage have a large tank of Texaco Havoline oil which they put in all their cars (diesel and petrol) except those on extended service.

I was horrified when I queried the service receipt for my Fabia VRS. I tried to explain the need for a special formula on Vag PD engines but was told that Skoda UK have authorised it. I doubt that very much.

The salesman told me that "no one had complained before" and stated that they had had no oil related reliability issues with any of their cars. He also tried to tell me that Havoline was fine in all Skoda diesels. To cop it all the owner phoned me some weeks later to tell me that he wanted to ensure that I was now in agreement with the garage regarding the suitability of Havoline in all Vag diesels, I told him I was not.

There could be a real problem on the horizon for higher mileage cars serviced here. If the engines fail who is responsible?

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Booked car in to have suspension bushes replaced, received phone call a couple of days before the date saying the parts hadn't arrived. Rearranged the date for 8 days later.

Took it in at the appointed time (11.00 am) only to be told they would be running slightly late but it would be done that day, OK no problem with that. At 3.45 pm phone call, "Can't do it today, can you come in and collect it and re-arrange date". on collecting the car was told they couldn't do it for a week.

I politely refused and told them I would go elsewhere. Brownie points to me for remaining calm throughout.

I will be sending a letter of complaint to both Skoda and the dealer in due course this is really poor customer service and makes a mockery of the Quality Policy displayed proudly on their door.

• 3 months later...

I recently bought a fabia VRS from this garage. Firstly let me point out that perhaps my innocence in the world of car buying is the reason for my dissapointment and that Mark, the sales guy has been nothing but helpful, courteous and quick to reply. The manager, not so much. Within the first week the pipe from the turbo blew off and I had to be recovered, they replaced the pipe and checked over the car again, noting no faults.

I have owned the car for 9 weeks. Covered approx. 3000 miles in that time. The car is noisy but i think that is a sporty car trait however the discs and pads at the rear sounded rough within a few weeks. On inspection they are heavily scored and corroded around the outside. I took it to my local skoda dealer and they said that the discs would need changing. I told this to Fred Rees garages and they said that it was a wear and tear issue. I then returned to the local Skoda Dealer and had them perform a used car health check as they would if selling the car themselves. They completed documentation to the effect that the discs were in need of urgent replacement as were the front wishbone bushes. They also said they did not think that it was something I could have done in the time I have had the car or the mileage. I then emailed all this documentation to Fred Rees garages and to Ralph Rees, the manager. He still stood by the fact that it was wear and tear and they would not contribute to the cost which was £350.

Next I went to Skoda UK with my complaint showing them the documents from my local dealer stating there were faults and the check sheet that Fred Rees had completed on sale. Skoda UK asked for photos of the discs and pads and had a technician look at them. They came back with the reply that it was a wear and tear issue and would not help with the costs. I had to phone and email several times as Skoda would not call me back or email me. The upshot is that they will not contribute nor will Fred Rees garages even though one Skoda dealer states that I could not have made the discs like this yet Fred Rees state I did.....An independent garage also checked them and stated they are in a condition that would fail an MOT.

Skoda UK explained that they could not prove that I hadn't caused the wear, they stated that whilst all Skoda approved garages have standards to abide by, one dealer may think the work needs doing, another may not. In my opinion this renders they used Skoda checks useless as they are open to individual interpretation. Skoda UK said it could be because the VRS is a fast car which means a lot of heavy braking. I am also still missing the 2nd key from Fred Rees which they posted out to me as I took the wrong one home. I posted their key back, I have yet to recieve mine 8 weeks on.

Like I said, Nice sales man however my check has not been checked properly and they do not honour that, nor do Skoda UK and now I have to fork out £350 to replace brakes 9 weeks after buying it. Gutted. Might sell it and buy something from a massive franchise rather than believeing small garages are more honorable and attentive to customer service, the same goes for Skoda UK.

• 6 months later...

I would like to reply regarding the last item posted, I have been a Fred Rees customer for only a few months now. I bought a Skoda L&K and found the service to be excellent from both the Sales people and from the aftersales staff. The salesman Mark is possibly the most curtious person I have ever bought from, he made myself and my wife feel very important and was extremely professional in a friendly sort of way. A friend of mine suggested that I get a Skoda and that I should go to Fred Rees to buy it, he has been a customer of thiers for many years as his Father was before him. It is a family owned business that has been in Haverfordwest for over 85 years and I believe have been selling Skoda cars for the past 10 years.

There is a lot of praise for Fred Rees garage in Pembrokeshire and if my experience and that of the people I have spoken to since buying my Skoda (It seems once you own a Skoda you become part of an unofficial club where Skoda drivers Acknowledge each other)is anything to go by then Fred Rees garage is a place I would recommend all potential Skoda buyers to visit.

I would once again like to thank all the staff at Fred Rees garage and in particular; Mark

• 3 months later...

I have discovered that the 2006 octy VRS that I bought from them has been filled with semi synthetic oil from new, which is not approved by Skoda UK. They also told me that the cam belts and coil packs had been changed prior to me buying the car, the Skoda UK records showed otherwise. The buying experience was good, and I got on fine with Ralph, but there is a problem with the workshop, at best it's shoddy, at worst they are ignoring the correct service practices. I would buy a new car from them, just not get it serviced there. The comments about ther large tank of Havoline confirms my worst suspicions (about premature egine wear from using the wrong oil).

EDIT Update after a couple of conversations with Jason, who is the service manager, and was friendly and courteous and helpful. He assured me that the oil change used the long life oil, the comments on the previous invoices was proibably either a mistake or to artificially generate a discount. The cam belts were changed by an independent garage, who did the last service when the car was with previous (2nd) owner. I asked how this could be verified, since the book had not been stamped, and they confirmed they were going to try to contact the previous owner. Can't ask for more than that.

Edited by stever750

• 5 months later...

Disappointingly had a negative experience recently; turns out my car that was sold as having the cam belts changed just before I purchased the car hadn't, which I discovered at 68k miles! Eventually we agreed that they would fit the kit at their cost, and I would only pay for the kit + vat which was fair enough. However, the car had a problem at idle when I had it back, similar symptoms as a broken throttle sensor which I had last year and fixed under warranty. They took the car back checked it over, and apparently "adjusted" it (which I thought was impossible beaing a sealed unit). Anyway, the problem was fixed; but opened the bonnet yesterday to check the oil, and found that the plastic cover was cracked, and the oil filler cap is now sat about 6" below the level of the cover, and almost impossible to remove without a pair of bolt pliers! I presume there must have been an extension from the top of the engine to bring the filler pipe flush with the plastic over, which has now vanished.

At best, this is just lazy inattentive work - it's the last time I will get any work done by them unless it is to fix problems of their making.

Edited by stever750

• 3 months later...

Had a look at an Octavia MK2 white VRS they had in stock and was genuinely interested but when it came to talking about a deal I was not impressed. First off I went through the part ex route (had a buyer lined up for my previous motor but wanted to see what I could get) They had the same car as mine on the forecourt with higher miles, worse condition and a lower model. This was up for £4999, he offered me £2200 on mine!!!! I laughed and asked him to turn round and explain the difference from mine to that one to which he said that’s turnover for you??? I then asked for a discount with an all cash deal and he went to the office came back with a photocopy of the car I was interested in and said they’ve only just knocked a £1000 off the car last week. After that I politely told him that it’s no wonder the owner can run around in an Aston Martin and that I understand profit margins but I don’t appreciate being ripped off. Found my car up the line with more spec, same age, 2000 more miles and £2999 cheaper!! I won’t be going there for anything on sheer principal. And after the reviews above on their workshop, I wouldn’t take my pushbike to them. I’ll take the extra distance of 60miles and go to sinclares in Swansea.

Edited by dtuppy

• 5 months later...

I recall a 2008 MY pre-FL petrol VRS was on sale at the same time (April 2010) that had a sticker price of £14999. It was 2 years old with around 17k miles, I've just bought elsewhere a 7mth old estate with 1.7K for almost the same price!

• 3 weeks later...

I think I have just bought the white vRS mentioned above and the sales guy has so far been fantastic, AUX and rear washer problems, the car is in the workshop tomorrow to have this sorted. They have told me that it will take less than an hour, will have to wait and see!!

As the car is covered by an approved Skoda warranty can I take it to any Skoda main dealer?

Edited by Skiddersvrs

Had the car in the workshop today, not as clean as most main dealers, but the service was good but a little slow. They managed to fix the two problems within 3 hours, just. Upside, they serviced the car before I bought it and didn't do a brake fluid change which they have said that they will do free of charge.

Does anyone know of other things that should be done at the first two year service (extended service intervals) that they may have overlooked!!

Edited by Skiddersvrs

Had the car in the workshop today, not as clean as most main dealers, but the service was good but a little slow. They managed to fix the two problems within 3 hours, just. Upside, they serviced the car before I bought it and didn't do a brake fluid change which they have said that they will do free of charge.

Does anyone know of other things that should be done at the first two year service (extended service intervals) that they may have overlooked!!

Check the service handbook, and ask for proof that the important work was done (cambelts etc), and ask what oil has been used at the services (see the previous posts). service team are nice guys, but had no idea about DV failures.

• 8 years later...

Some years later.... 

They've definitely upped their game. I've just bought my second car from them. Had some issues with a superb that I bought from another dealer, which they fixed at a mistakenly lower cost than it should have been and honoured it. The garage service has been vastly improved, I don't think it's any better or worse than any other main dealer. I get on well with their service manager, over the last few years they've always looked after me. 

• 2 years later...

Service schedules.

When I bought my car new last year, one of the managers bemoaned the fact that their workshops were always empty (because of the reliability of the cars).  So when I received a text prompt 2 months before the service was due I ignored it - I assumed it was a standard dealer trick to get me to have the car serviced every 10 months instead of every 12 (that way they get an extra service charge out of me every 6 years).

It is now 3 weeks before the service is due, still a little early but I this morning I decided to book it in.  There is a 6 week lead time before they can fit it in (mid April).  Strange, I wonder if they've downsized their workshop?