Vrs engine death.

Nobody is pretending anything.

Not sure what your interest on the subject is actually,  have you any information that is new, or from your own actual experience?

The OP has had a Replacement engine already, so what is your point.?

I suspect until you drive a Twincharger, dip the oil, fill it with petrol, and get to know them other than reading about them

you might never know.

??

Why do you suspect nobody bothers to read the Owners Manual.?

Its you that does not have a manual or the car, and just has to refer online to that information.

& just as a point, the 1.4 TSI & TFSI 180ps & 185ps is the 132 -136 kw engines mentioned.

The same Possible Oil Consumption Warning Existed before these engines did.

It is a VWG Cover their arses short of get out.

Not sure what lessons VW have learned, they changed the engine, there was some improvement, 

there were still failures, they have discontinued the engine other than in the Seat, 

and very very few of those have sold.

The only one seems to be, keep admitting nothing it will all blow over, nobody really noticed anyway.

Edited by goneoffSKi

It's out of warrenty. So even if I didn't put a remap on it are u really saying Skoda would change it for free? I know I'm goin to be pushing my luck when I speak to them but I'm not holding much hope up.

Yes, I think Skoda would have replaced the engine.

1. Your rights to go out to 6 years, not Skoda's 3. You would have to prove an inherent issue at point of supply but I think that wouldn't be an issue in this case.

2. You'so already had a replacement, which would have 2 years Skoda warranty as a new part when they fitted it, so the part would be free, if not the labour to fit it.

The 2 Year Warranty on new parts does not apply when the parts are supplied under warranty, (as set out in the Warranty.)

the Warranty normally just runs on the Original Period.

But some Members here as part of the agreements getting compensated on Expenses also had the Warranty Extended on the Engine.

Also some Members that had Warranty Companies that had to Underwrite the Replacement Engine, 

or had to Contribute to the Cost of Purchasing the Engine then have Automatically a 2 Year Warranty on the Base Engine that was purchased.

http://skoda.co.uk/sitecollectiondocuments/brochures/warranty-booklet-single.pdf

Page 4 & 6 Exclusions &

'replacement parts warranty'.

There is a thread started by 'vrskeith',  on Consistent treatment of owners that have had oil consumption problems'.

But obviously Remapping the Original or replacement engine invalidates the warranty on a engine.

Edited by goneoffSKi

OK, but he still had all his rights under SOGA before APR modified the mapping, so he would have had a very good case to pursue the original supplying dealer for a replacement engine.

Great you help him then please.

You are taking a rather different attitude it appears to me from the thread in the Fabia lll section where it seemed that the 'Volkswagen Group' could do no wrong and i was 'Defaming' them.

You did defame them. I have a written legal opinion that says you defamed them.

I don't think I've changed my position at all. All I'm saying is he will likely get more traction from chasing APR than Skoda.

Skoda are not exactly perfect. They are undoubtedly managing a very bad situation to control what potentially is a financial disaster. In this case they replaced the engine, which is as much as could be expected. The OP then went to APR, one of the last companies still remapping the 1.4 twincharger and he paid them money.

The engine has now apparently died. If he had not had it mapped, Skoda might have been leaned on to help him out again. As it WAS mapped, Skoda will consider themselves free and clear because they will say the remap caused the issue. That puts APR in the frame. They will say it wasn't them, it was the fact that the engine was inherently weak. But APR are in a position to supply subsidised or "at cost" labour and parts, which is probably about as much help as the OP can expect at this point.

And your "spit my dummy out" attitude is pathetic.

• Like 2

And your "spit my dummy out" attitude is pathetic.

Now now, let's not get silly. We all have opinions and they are all valid. Gosh even vxh26 has made some valid points!

I think in this situation the OP is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Both Skoda and APR have no obligation to lend a helping hand. I'm sure when you get a map you are entering into a 'at you own risk' agreement?

it's threads like these that make me glad that I washed my hands of my early CAVE engine VRS. Great cars but are clearly ticking time bombs. :-(

• Like 1

whilst i can agree with all the posts here and its comforting to know we are all honest as the days long, i wonder how many here, come px time will be as honest.

yes ive always used 99 ron fuel, no ive never ever thrashed my car, not a drop of oil used sir, never scratched an alloy or had one repaired, i could go on and on here but im pretty sure all of us will tell a little white lie and say our cars a great example of a VRs come the time to sell

what im getting at here is that unless your asked a specific question you tell them nothing, thats not telling any lies its just not offering any info not asked for

And whilst two wrongs dont make a right, the same can be said that revenge is sweet, nobody at skoda or their representatives told ANYONE here that there cars WILL use oil and to check it every few hundred miles when they were buying their cars, or that the plugs dont last 40k should i go on?

Im not a dishonest person but i will treat Skoda dealers the way they treated me, if they dont ask a specific question i dont offer the info

Fair points but personally , I have always run my car on 99 , never kerbed or scratched an alloy (all four replaced under warranty due to corrosion last year) but drive the car quite hard , don't believe you can "thrash" an auto or modern limited engine really but mine doesn't use oil at all.

Mine is being traded due to wanting something bigger but these engines do have a well deserved reputation which in my opinion makes voiding the warranty by remapping a very risky move .

Ultimately I feel that spending money tuning a car like the Fabia is much better spent in buying something with better performance or better potential in the first place.

• Like 2

Sorry i was asking Thomas about his Spark Plugs after he bought his car and found it was ill.

Sorry poor pictures, but commonly how one plug ends up.

That looks to me like detonation has killed that plug , any engine that burns oil is much more prone to det since oil in the combustion chamber lowers the octane level

Again much more likely on a remapped engine

Those were not in Remapped Engines (or ones that used too much oil, but they were not hard used cars, just runabouts)

but ones that had been run on 95 Ron & 97 ron, and one plug was from a Polo GTI that the owner had put in for a Full Service and was told the Spark Plugs had been changed.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Those were not in Remapped Engines (or ones that used too much oil, but they were not hard used cars, just runabouts)

but ones that had been run on 95 Ron & 97 ron, and one plug was from a Polo GTI that the owner had put in for a Full Service and was told the Spark Plugs had been changed.

still looks like detonation for whatever reason

Yes.

Often found on the Engines that have not had the Latest Software applied.

After all that is why VW Update it, because they have had vehicles experiencing issues on the Software they had from the Factory.

Many Dealers missed doing it,  there were updates for the CAVE from between 2009 & 2012.

Then the CTHE from 2012 was given a Update as the SEat Ibiza Cupra 2013 was Launched, and since there are CTHE owners 

that have been told a Softwear Update has been done just in the past 6 months.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

In Dealership Techs you trust,

because there are owners of early CTHE engines that have enquired and been told there is no Software Update,

while other have been told their vehicle has had one.

Yes.

Often found on the Engines that have not had the Latest Software applied.

After all that is why VW Update it, because they have had vehicles experiencing issues on the Software they had from the Factory.

Many Dealers missed doing it,  there were updates for the CAVE from between 2009 & 2012.

Then the CTHE from 2012 was given a Update as the SEat Ibiza Cupra 2013 was Launched, and since there are CTHE owners 

that have been told a Softwear Update has been done just in the past 6 months.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

In Dealership Techs you trust,

because there are owners of early CTHE engines that have enquired and been told there is no Software Update,

while other have been told their vehicle has had one.

was there an issue with the injectors at some point ?

Your Replacement engine is Young.

So check, get them to check, was your Replacement 'New' a Complete Unit not a Short Unit or a Factory Refurbished Unit.

So once the Head is off, they will know if yours can be rebuilt if it is Piston & Rings only.

Or valves / head.

Richf,  yes on the Injectors, but that was the Sirocco & first Seat Ibiza from 2009, and early 2010.

vRS first built after that was shorted out to my understanding.

Th3Grinch, Nath & i have some of the earliest Twinchargers in the UK,  there were a few others, no idea who still has them on here.

TheGrinch has had a new engine in his.

I will. There is a case file open on it now because it's haf and engine change before and customer service carnt tell me what was done under warranty so will be getting into contact with the dealership that changed the engine.

Ultimately I feel that spending money tuning a car like the Fabia is much better spent in buying something with better performance or better potential in the first place.

Depends how you define potential.  A custom stage 1 from a few companies in eastern Europe that have done some serious study on this engine will make the car as fast as a Megane RS. Then a stage 2 is where the fun starts. 250 bhp with a vRS means faster than stock cars with 300+ bhp. Here's a rather shocking acceleration measurement with a proper vbox from someone running such a great stage 2 car in Greece (252bhp/40Nm). It may be a bit slower in 0-60 but when rolling, that thing goes quicker than Impezas, EVOs, S3, M135i and a few >4 year old Porsches amongst others. I was actually checking it out and that is M3 E46 performance. You don't come across a lot of cars quicker than that very often. And that's just a stage 2 with an untouched engine and turbo. Obviously no need to talk about the price and how cheaper it is than buying any of the aforementioned cars.

11054355_10203679232718125_4342690995606

Then there's hybrids or BT ranging from 300 to 350bhp with uprated internals and (some) with uprated DSG discs. Of course it's not all that cheap but a 350 bhp vRS is entering really sacred grounds in terms of in-gear acceleration. The combo of "weight-DSG-supercharger" makes these cars absolute rockets. I happen to follow several 250+ 1.4 TSI owners who are regular video posters and in general, for a different car to be a match in terms of real world performance it has to have at least 50bhp more power than the twincharger. That's just how great they are in terms of tuning and potential. The funny thing is that they run fine, no misfires no burned plugs etc. Go figure. Of course at those levels, who is doing what and how makes all the difference I guess.

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 2

You could buy an e46 M3 for what you'd need to spend on a VRS Fabia to get it close to the performance of the BMW , which is kinda my point

• Like 2

I fail to see how a used M3 E46 is really an alternative to a 2011-2013 car that is small, practical, economical when you want it to, cheap to insure and run and much much newer. If you want a track-day car sure I'd rather go with the M3 and then just leave it in my garage for the rest of the week but the people that are tuning these cars generally use/want them to be pretty good everyday performers as well, they don't drive a second car as well  ;)

• Like 2

the thing with something like an m3 is that everyone knows its fast, i like something that nobody expects to be fast to fly past em ;)

Didn't count that in at all. One of the best factors ( I chose mine over Polo precisely for this, only 1000 euros of a difference at the time where I was shopping), and probably un-quantifiable. But even if you disregard this, imagine someone looking for a quick hatch that he'll be able to use everyday and race as well. There's no way he would ever consider any 15y.o. monster, just doesn't make any sense. On the other hand, if you think that a 15k (when bought new) 2-3 y.o. car could be transformed to something like this with 2-3K more it's just crazy. That's what I meant by tuneability and potential.

That is of course if you are lucky enough to have a good one.

Edited by newbie69

I fail to see how a used M3 E46 is really an alternative to a 2011-2013 car that is small, practical, economical when you want it to, cheap to insure and run and much much newer. If you want a track-day car sure I'd rather go with the M3 and then just leave it in my garage for the rest of the week but the people that are tuning these cars generally use/want them to be pretty good everyday performers as well, they don't drive a second car as well  ;)

By the time its wound up to the performance of a M3 I doubt whether its still practical, economical and cheap to insure

A used E46 costs about the same as a 3 yr old Fabia VRS, one is an over engineered car designed from the start with performance in mind and the other is an over-complicated under-engineered compromise

I'm no fan of the BMW myself and have spent most of my life modifying cars , but I am realistic when it comes to the Fabia and think the money is better spent elsewhere , perhaps on a second car;)

The VRS is a great car but its a nippy hatch back , trying to make it into something it isnt doesnt make sense to me , chuck in an engine/dsg rebuild and its a very expensive way to go fast 

• Like 1

By the time its wound up to the performance of a M3 I doubt whether its still practical, economical and cheap to insure

A used E46 costs about the same as a 3 yr old Fabia VRS, one is an over engineered car designed from the start with performance in mind and the other is an over-complicated under-engineered compromise

I'm no fan of the BMW myself and have spent most of my life modifying cars , but I am realistic when it comes to the Fabia and think the money is better spent elsewhere , perhaps on a second car;)

The VRS is a great car but its a nippy hatch back , trying to make it into something it isnt doesnt make sense to me , chuck in an engine/dsg rebuild and its a very expensive way to go fast 

Rich,

I think even at that point it would be considerably cheaper than any M3 all costs considered. But any way, the discussion was not "what can you buy and turn into the ideal track-day car", I would agree with you in every point if that was the case. I was obviously adressing the people that have chosen the vRS or any other similar car for what it is as a whole: a modern, cheap to buy, economical, easy to live with everyday hot-hatch. So, given that they've made or are about to make the choice of such a car (for a broad range of needs that go much beyond the track), the point wa how further can you go on improving and at what cost. Imho, the numbers speak for themselves here. I actually love almost every M3 ever built and I am rather fond of BMW. By using that example I didn't mean that the E46 or any of those cars like the M135, S3, S5 etc. can be considered "equal" in any way, but I was rather quoting it as a well known reference of performance to stress out exactly how impressing those engines can be without going too crazy on mods, remember we're talking stock internals and turbo.

Again, that is IF they're a good one and obviously on the right (tuning) hands. I hope it's clearer now.