First Service Cost

sweeney

Hi

I have had aquote for the first service on a 2014 Yeti 4 x 4 on variable service plan of £197.00. The car has covered 15800 miles.

This seems a little steep but I wonder if anyone has had a better offer recently? I need it to be serviced at franchise as bought car on PCP

Many thanks

It might help if you put where you are in the country in your profile then someone might know somewhere locally that is cheaper.

However the price quoted is comparable to what I paid some years ago.

Skoda do have a menu pricing structure that most dealers seem to abide by.

I paid £170 for the first service (also variable and around 15,000 miles) on a 1.2 TSi about two months ago. Franchised dealer near Southampton.

Today I requested a price from my Skoda dealer for just a oil change and filter, 10255 miles, 3 years old, and the next service is programmed for December 2015, so as I do lot of short trips, and I am from the old school of thought, I do understand modern oils last a lot longer.

but I feel waiting until next December more slug will build up in the sump due to short runs.  ( bought the wrong model should have gone for petrol.)

So the quote was for £121.50 for the oil change and filter, I think I will wait for the weather to warm up and get the spanners out and do it myself, its the under guard that takes the time to remove.

Cost of intermediate (9000 mile) oil and filter change for my CR110 Yeti in Jan was £44.43.

- 4.5 litres of Castrol Edge FST 5w30, VW507 spec.

- Bosch filter

Both from Euro Car Parts.

Labour: zero, as I don't charge myself.

Time: about 30 mins. But then I went on to fit new disks and pads on the front and flush + replace the brake fluid all round. So in the end the whole lot took half a day, what with checking everything else, lube for the locks and hinges, having a good nose around while I had the wheels off, etc.

• Like 1

Cost of intermediate (9000 mile) oil and filter change for my CR110 Yeti in Jan was £44.43.

- 4.5 litres of Castrol Edge FST 5w30, VW507 spec.

- Bosch filter

Both from Euro Car Parts.

Labour: zero, as I don't charge myself.

Time: about 30 mins. But then I went on to fit new disks and pads on the front and flush + replace the brake fluid all round. So in the end the whole lot took half a day, what with checking everything else, lube for the locks and hinges, having a good nose around while I had the wheels off, etc.

Man after my own heart.  I don't know what I was thinking must my age, I have never had a garage do an oil change, mind you this it the first new vehicle I have ever bought, so I was being careful.

Edited by CHILLEY

Man after my own heart.  I don't know what I was thinking must my age, I have never had a garage do an oil change, mind you this it the first new vehicle I have ever bought, so I was being careful.

Yeah, while one is fit and able it's always a dilemma, DIY vs. dealer. On a vehicle still under warranty, you don't want to give them an excuse, just in case.  My Yeti is 2010 build and on 120,000 miles now, so no longer a dilemma but a no-brainer decision. After some very poor experiences on main dealer servicing on other makes while I had a series of company cars as my daily drivers, I have come to mistrust them and would much prefer either the independent I know and trust, or myself - so I know with 100% surety the job has been done properly, not rushed, what materials and parts have been used, etc. Plus gives me a chance to check how things are aging and wearing elsewhere (e.g. disk + pad thicknesses, wear rates, etc.), so I can predict fairly accurately when the next expenditure will be due.

To complete the cost story for the January service on the Yeti (completed on my drive as it was quite a mild weekend here in balmy North Yorks.), the total cost for all the parts, including disks, pads, coppaslip, brake fluid (Castrol DOT4), and a fuel filter as it was time for that too, came to a total of £132.  If you really wanted to ramp up the cost like dealers do, then add £5 for a quarter share of the Gunsons power bleed kit for the brakes that I've used four times since new (but will use again in future), and teeny tiny share of the cost of the ramps, jacks, stands, tools, torque wrench, etc. that I've had for donkeys and share that between all my owned cars. OK, so for the January service on the Yeti, it was properly dark by the time the wheels where going back on and torqued, so a couple of £s for a share of the inspection lamp (a.k.a. LED torch) I bought last year to replace a 20-year old lamp.  

This is not about service cost but about what is done on a first service?

The reason I ask is that my FL Yeti has just had it's first of three free services and has come back with some MFD anomalies.

First thing I noticed was that the trip, which was showing 235 miles when it went in was now showing 7.5 miles. I then noticed that the clock was 12 hours out and the the MPG memory 2 had changed from 42.1 mpg to 34mpg.

I can't think of any reason why these should have changed except perhaps the garage had disconnected the battery.

I haven't contacted the garage yet as it's got to go back on Monday so that they can drop the headlining to check the aerial base.

I'll query it then but I wondered if anyone here can offer any reason for these changes?

Fred

Update:

Dealer said that there had been a recall done on the car that involved disconnecting the battery. "An exhaust flap" was how he described it".

Thanks for all the replies. Can't seem to see on the Skoda website where it gives prices from individual dealers but maybe looking in wrong place?!

It doesn't tell you the price at an individual dealers, just what the approved prices are for those dealers who wish to abide by it.

Here...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/servicing/

Ask the dealer what it is they intend to change for the £197.

The most they'll do is:

Oil

Oil Filter

Air Filter

Fuel Filter

Pollen Filter

Brake Fluid

The least they'll do is the oil and oil filter which is £139.

Everything else is unlikely as the remaining items are rarely changed before 3 years / 60,000 miles.

Personally I'd get them to change the oil and fuel filter. I'd then buy the air and pollen filters and fit them myself, 1x Torx 25 screwdriver, 10 minutes and no mechanical experience needed.

Had the advisory come up on the MFD the other day saying oil change required in 400 miles. 

Was a bit confused as the cars only done 8.5k.

Emailed the dealer and as long as i take it in for the 1st service before it gets to 10k or reaches 12mths old then it'll be ok, so not sure why the 400 mile advisory came up.

Anyway, dealer quoted £123 for its 1st 'lubrication' service. Includes oil, oil filter and inspection.