Canton -A different perspective

Having read threads on Canton sound quality, I agree that the quality from the radio is adequate and initially wasn't too impressed. However having loaded lots of tracks over the weekend onto my iPhone, the quality of the audio has been transformed. I have turned down the bass, turned up the Canton Surround and am now really pleased with the result. I haven't started the thread to start a technical conversation ref file types etc. it's simply that audio from CD burnt to iTunes seems to have unlocked the sound. I have had Bose and Bang & Olufsen kit in the house and enjoy listening to a wide range of music but can't see the point in spending much more than the Canton or equivalent if you're in a moving vehicle with road noise etc to disturb the sound, unless you can drown it out with ear-bleed inducing audio levels to try to achieve concert hall clarity.

• Like 1

My Canton is great with the Columbus. My real disappointment is the DAB. I upgraded from my 2013 Columbus in the last car to MIB in the new. I do the same trip every day and the signal is only 80% of the previous unit. The weird thing is that when it cuts out you can press the preset and it comes back for a few seconds. The cut out appears to be too sensative. It is booked in for investigation and possible software upgrade Friday. Currently on 0370.

Anyone else had problems?

If you have Columbus, try playing some tunes encoded as FLAC - it jumps another level :)

If not, make sure your rips are at the highest quality possible - 320kbps - you can tell the difference with Canton.

Andy, if I convert an already ripped or downloaded file from iTunes format (mine are generally AAC I think) to FLAC, does the quality improve or do you need to go back to an original cd or something?

Agree my old cd ripped stuff is better than iTunes purchased downloads on the canton. Mine likes a bit of soul music and Otis reading namely!

Best sound though is the Bad Boys 2 DVD - I believe this was very high quality encoded dvd at the time (why they never put it on blu-ray, well when I last checked!)

Edited by Exeterj

Andy, if I convert an already ripped or downloaded file from iTunes format (mine are generally AAC I think) to FLAC, does the quality improve or do you need to go back to an original cd or something?

Agree my old cd ripped stuff is better than iTunes purchased downloads on the canton. Mine likes a bit of soul music and Otis reading namely!

Best sound though is the Bad Boys 2 DVD - I believe this was very high quality encoded dvd at the time (why they never put it on blu-ray, well when I last checked!)

You'll need to start from a lossless format, eg CD to benefit from flac format. When converting to a lossy format like mp3 or aac, compression is used to reduce file size but this loses some of the original data. You can not get this data back by converting from aac or mp3 to a lossless format like flac.
  • Like 1

My Canton is great with the Columbus. My real disappointment is the DAB. I upgraded from my 2013 Columbus in the last car to MIB in the new. I do the same trip every day and the signal is only 80% of the previous unit. The weird thing is that when it cuts out you can press the preset and it comes back for a few seconds. The cut out appears to be too sensative. It is booked in for investigation and possible software upgrade Friday. Currently on 0370.

Anyone else had problems?

I seem to think the DAB and FM reception are poorer on my MY2015 Estate on 0370 than they were on my MY2013 Hatch on 0220. Let me know if you get a SW update and it fixes it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

My last which worked so well was a Columbus in a Mk2 hatch with a rooftop antenna. My current car is an estate. I wonder whether a replacement sharkfin with a dab antenna may be the answer?  I will keep you posted.

Garnett

I just asked for a SW update on my setup with Canton. What a massive improvement!! I had to turn down the sub after the update. The quality of the sound is so much crisper. Dont know why, but thats the case!

I just asked for a SW update on my setup with Canton. What a massive improvement!! I had to turn down the sub after the update. The quality of the sound is so much crisper. Dont know why, but thats the case!

Which infotainment unit and which version number are you now on?

I booked the car into the dealer to have the DAB checked tomorrow. Also raised it as an issue with SUK Customer Service so they could authorize it. Not holding out too much hope but they knew the issue. I loose the signal but get it back if I elect the station. The multiplex search is set too sensitively.

All done - updated to 0390. It rather helped that the Service guy had the same car and knew exactly the problem I was having.

DAB reception so far is faultless, but needs longer to prove. Normal cut out spots on the way home now have reception.

I also think there is a substantial improvement to Canton. Full volume 320 kbs will now go to full volume without any distortion.

Fingers crossed!

Afraid not - They have a weekly update CD from Skoda. With authorization they copy files as instructed onto a USB pen drive and that goes into the car to do the update. It took a good 90 minutes. I emailed customer service and booked it into the dealer at the same time. They rang the dealer while I was there to give authority for the update.

As I explained, the dealers know about the problem as they have it on their demo cars so should not be difficult to convince them.

Good luck.

Garnett.

Afraid not - They have a weekly update CD from Skoda. With authorization they copy files as instructed onto a USB pen drive and that goes into the car to do the update. It took a good 90 minutes. I emailed customer service and booked it into the dealer at the same time. They rang the dealer while I was there to give authority for the update.

This has got to be the most unreasonably complicated software update scheme imaginable. They need an "ok" from the manufacturer to do an update that should be user upgradable and frankly that should happen automatically OTA. And why? Because of some nondescript licensing policies...geeze...

I really hope Tesla and other new players to the car market force an industry wide shift in these policies. Car companies seem to be in the dark ages when it comes to updates.

Edited by kallekilponen

This has got to be the most unreasonably complicated software update scheme imaginable. They need an "ok" from the manufacturer to do an update that should be user upgradable and frankly that should happen automatically OTA. And why? Because of some nondescript licensing policies...geeze...

I really hope Tesla and other new players to the car market force an industry wide shift in these policies. Car companies seem to be in the dark ages when it comes to updates.

Are the finnish dealers as difficult as the british regarding updates?

But no matter how it goes, it still seems like a very 1990s way of updating software.

This is a feature list of a software update Tesla is pushing out (over the air) in a few days:

https://imgur.com/a/x7SVg

And they regularly publish updates with feature lists this long, for all their customers, automatically, free of charge...

Edited by kallekilponen

Hi Genoa

Best to start with the problems you are having. Skoda won't just do it unless you have a problem. Mine was poor DAB reception in the UK and I could prove it as I had a previous Columbus DAB in my Mk II to compare with.

What is happening with yours?

Garnett