Removing Airbag

as per these threads

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/348947-my-nipple-is-broken/

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/348791-18-tsi-pcv-and-dv-replacement-plus-mfsw-button-cleaning/

I have an issue with the phone side of the MSFW buttons. Best initial advice seem to be to try clean the connectors. To do this I will have to remove the air bag. Found this video on line. Best advice seems to be to disconnect the battery for 30 mins first, turn steering wheel 90 degrees and fiddle for the clips?

any other words of wisdom?

Yes! You could buy my steering wheel... With guaranteed working buttons! :D:thumbup:

I'm interested, how much and bear in mind I may be a bloke but I know naff all about cars, how much harder is it to replace whole steering wheel?

Don't, seriously. An airbag is a firearm. It could seriously injure you...or worse. Firefighters freeing victims from cars have been badly hurt when they've gone off. Garage mechanics are specially licenced to handle them. I was weapons trained in the RAF...and consequently know only one thing. I'd not go near one nor settle for 'disconnect the battery for 30 mins and it'll be fine.' It may be fine, or not. And if not, the price is not worth thinking about.

Done it many times , disconnect the battery , pump brake pedal a few times and leave for at least 15 mins , longer if possible.

• Like 1

Cheers, if nothing else it kept me occupied and out of wifes hairs on a bank holiday Saturday, throw in the added danger^^ of a trip to A&E and it happily justifies my subscription here per annum

Sorry, forgot one other point as hopefully this will show up on search for others to follow. The suggestion of the small mirror is a great one, makes a huge difference and makes the job much easier.

• Like 1

A week later (famous last words) but been no issues whatsoever. Not 100% sure I cleaned anything but maybe a bit of dirt in the connection or a compete re-boot did the trick but all good. Thanks for all the help.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I should really do this! It is strating to frustrate me!

I am a complete numpty and it only took me about 30 minutes. Glad I did it, follow the instructions here.