Bolero for Amundsen+, straight swap? Worth it?

Im thinking of changing the Bolero stereo in my Octavia for the Amundsen+ and wondered if it would be a straight swap in terms of cabling and installation? and is it worth the change?

The main reason for changing is I need an aux input and the satnav would be nice (although not essential). If not the Amundsen what else would people recommend? The chinese units look interesting and something with bluetooth audio streaming would be good.

worth it YES

stright swap YES migt need a new ariel

well worth the swap i changed from a STREAM to one and its the best mod i have done!!!

Thanks Paul, I assumed it would need a new aerial due to the GPS, any idea what one?

Well you will need one for the GPS however the one i had came with a new one so cant realy say which is the right one

What i meant was for the normal radio as theres 2 inputs (was on mine anyway) so need a farka (sp) splitter :)

As above, yes, well worth the upgrade. 

Although some might disagree, avoid the cheap Chinese units. You get what you pay for. That's why they are cheap. I bought one a few years ago, and returned it very sharpish. Biggest load of rubbish I have ever bought.

As an alternative to the Amundsen, have you thought of a Columbus? Many of us, including me, now have Columbus units in our cars, and can't speak highly enough about them. With an aftermarket FAKRA GPS aerial that plugs straight into the back of the unit, the Columbus will go straight in, and may not even need coding. Coding will be needed if you have maxidot and want the audio/nav menus to show up there.

Mike

Thanks Mike, the Columbus is certainly something I've been looking into. The only problem is it hasnt got a direct aux in like the Amundsen. Do you know if there's anyway around that or even better whether there's a Bluetooth a2dp solution that fits the Columbus as that would be preferable?

With the Columbus, you will need the separate bluetooth module to integrate with the head unit.

As far as the AUX input, on a 2007 Octavia Elegance, you should have a dedicated AUX input in the central armrest. Lift the armrest up, and you should see the AUX socket inside, close the the drivers seat.

Mike

The 2011 Estate doesn't have the arm rest or aux input annoyingly, unless I'm either being blind and/or stupid! :-)

Having said that, I was sure that all the later models had a Bolero/AUX socket combination installed? If you press the media button on the Bolero, and then press it again, does an AUX menu come up on screen?

Mine have an aux socket in the armrest.

As far as the AUX input, on a 2007 Octavia Elegance, you should have a dedicated AUX input in the central armrest. Lift the armrest up, and you should see the AUX socket inside, close the the drivers seat.

Mike

Sorry to gatecrash the party !

But I have a vrs with the aux socket and dance audio unit...

I get no sound when I plug my iPod in, I think you have to press the CD button on the unit a few times, but still no sound...

Anybody got any ideas ? Thanks guys !

Hi all.

I'm looking to upgrade my bolero and was wondering if the Amundsen+ would be able to do the following:

- sat nav

- dab

- Bluetooth streaming (from iPhone)

- some form of iPhone integration to receive calls

I found these on eBay, does this look like what I would need:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Amundsen-RNS-315-RNS315-E-Navigation-System-Sat-Nav-VW-Seat-Replace-510-/301536991566?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item463501594e

Comes with antenna and maps loaded, so I assume I would just need a new fascia?

Hi all.

I'm looking to upgrade my bolero and was wondering if the Amundsen+ would be able to do the following:

- sat nav

- dab

- Bluetooth streaming (from iPhone)

- some form of iPhone integration to receive calls

I found these on eBay, does this look like what I would need:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Amundsen-RNS-315-RNS315-E-Navigation-System-Sat-Nav-VW-Seat-Replace-510-/301536991566?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item463501594e

Comes with antenna and maps loaded, so I assume I would just need a new fascia?

From what I can tell you won't even need a new facia. I've just gone for a Amundsen+ so I'll let you know what it's like and how the installation is when it arrives.

I think it does all of what you ask except for Bluetooth streaming, which it needs an add on unit for. The DAB will need another antenna. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Edited by Stubrew

From what I can tell you won't even need a new facia. I've just gone for a Amundsen+ so I'll let you know what it's like and how the installation is when it arrives.

I think it does all of what you ask except for Bluetooth streaming, which it needs an add on unit for. The DAB will need another antenna. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Ah nice, so are you upgrading from the Bolero as well?

So does the Amundsen+ definitely have built in DAB? I've seen most of the items on ebay have a GPS antenna, but no mention of any DAB extra kit.

Let me know how you get on!

Ah nice, so are you upgrading from the Bolero as well?

So does the Amundsen+ definitely have built in DAB? I've seen most of the items on ebay have a GPS antenna, but no mention of any DAB extra kit.

Let me know how you get on!

Yep, should be arriving tomorrow so I'll let you know!

The Amundsen Plus can be a standard radio, or a standard radio with DAB, or a standard radio with DAB and Bluetooth. I haven't seen a standard radio wth Bluetooth and no DAB, but they might exist.

Ah right that's interesting.

Is there anyway to tell which ones have certain features? Do I need to look at RNS315 and not RNS310 for example?

The descriptions from the sellers never really clarifies which features it has and I can't find anything online about it!

The Amundsen Plus can be a standard radio, or a standard radio with DAB, or a standard radio with DAB and Bluetooth. I haven't seen a standard radio wth Bluetooth and no DAB, but they might exist.

I can confirm that you can also get an Amundsen Plus unit which has Bluetooth, but without DAB.

• 5 years later...

OK, several years later on this topic.

My 2013 Superb was totaled last week, managed to get a 2018 Octavia but it hasn't got satnav or CD player, there is a dummy front in the glove compartment for the CD. It has a Bolero fitted and I want to fit either the Columbus or Amundsen for the navigation. Now for the question noting it is a 2018 model estate, can I fit them, is the wiring in place and what else do I need to think about. Get me out of this problem before my 8 year old grandaughter kills me for not having a CD.

1 hour ago, Chaindrive said:

OK, several years later on this topic.

My 2013 Superb was totaled last week, managed to get a 2018 Octavia but it hasn't got satnav or CD player, there is a dummy front in the glove compartment for the CD. It has a Bolero fitted and I want to fit either the Columbus or Amundsen for the navigation. Now for the question noting it is a 2018 model estate, can I fit them, is the wiring in place and what else do I need to think about. Get me out of this problem before my 8 year old grandaughter kills me for not having a CD.

You'd be much better posting this in the MK3 Octavia section - the MK2 and MK3 are based on different platforms so this thread won't help you.

That aside, quick few answers:

- The 'dummy front' in the glove compartment is the radio, the part in the middle of the car is just a display and touchscreen/buttons.

- I don't think there are any options for a CD player, you'll need to move your granddaughters music to MP3 (or similar) on a USB stick or SD card.

- It is possible to upgrade from a Bolero to an Amundsen/Columbus but it might be more expensive than you think.