Maxidot fix for Pre-FL cars with RNS510 Columbus retrofit

Question 2: :D

I have had a Columbus DAB fitted to my car for over a year now and in that time I haven't been able to come out of either Audio or Navigation menus on the Maxidot screen, without first stopping Navigation or switching off the head unit (e.g., if I want to use the MFD menu or the Kufatec or whatever).

I had some info that related to the use of a Polar FIS+ box that, as an aside to the other functions it performed, it would also allow me to switch between the menus. This hasn't happened either.

I've come across this thread which says there is a fix for A5 pre-fl Octavias that have had a Columbus fitted which basically updates the gateway. Has anybody done this and is it just a case of putting the disc into the head unit and leaving it to do its thing?

I have no idea what the part code of my Columbus is, but it's apparently HW version H09, Firmware 5238 and running maps 7918.

(While I'm at it, are there any worthwhile updates to this and is there anyway you can have a POI alarm if you have active speed cameras in your database?)

Cheers

J

I'm not sure I agree with that Karlos.

The headunit is coded for DDP, the CAN gateway is a more recent one. This is, as I understand, not related to this issues - I have these menus in my Maxidot, once I use the audio or Navigation menu, I can't exit from them until I switch off the unit. I know I'm not alone, there appears to be some fix, I just can't quite nail it.

Do you have FL MFSW or only control via lever (stick...sorry Im from Czech republic:))?

Try long press of up or down button, It works for my fine, I have pre-FL car too.

Edited by karlos1987

No only via the buttons on the lever, I've tried to burn a disk image onto a CD/DVD which is supposed to have a part fix, but it isn't recognised by the headunit.

I didn't need it when I fitted my DAB Columbus to my pre FL John but I did when I first upgraded my older Columbus to 4020 firmware. But your car being older may still need something for the later Columbus I guess.  My worry would be that the DAB Columbus is on newer 6 series firmware, so not as easily modified...

For what its worth it is also mentioned on this page about halfway down: http://www.my-gti.com/3374/volkswagen-rns-510-firmware-upgrade-and-information and marked Skoda Columbus (RNS 510) Fix.

Thanks guys - I've looked at many many many links over the last 24 hours and come to the same conclusions! My car is an 07 and I have a revised CAN gateway (can't remember which one but I put it in 3 years ago when I fitted the RCD510DAB). My Columbus DAB has firmware 5238 on it and has VIM in motion activated by the seller (I've never used that, I once played a concert DVD with the screen off!), so I don't know if this has a bearing. On the VWNavi site there is a fix for head units with 5xxx firmware versions which I would have thought might do the job. I've downloaded the fix as the .rar file, extracted the .iso image and burned it to both CD and DVD, but when I put them into the Columbus it get a CD error message. Is there any advice on how to complete the process?

Use a good quality disc and burn it as sloe as possible. Make sure you "create disc from image" using something like imgburn (free).

Adam

Cheers I might try that instead then - I've been using disk utility on my mac and doing it that way straight onto a DVD, but the head unit doesn't seem to like it at all. I read something on VWNavi that suggested it wasn't possible on DAB units but that info is nearly 18 months old now. Unfortunately I don't know how to get hold of Josi who seems to be the one who comes up with these fixes.

There is another program for Macs (Imgburn is for Windows) but I dont know what it is sorry. It might be the disk utility?

The key though is you create a disc from the image rather than simply burn the iso file to the disc.

Rustynuts on here know his stuff. Might be worth a PM to him if he doesnt see this.

• Like 1

They are very picky with discs! Took me ages to find discs that it liked... turned out to like Tesco discs but disliked all the other more expensive ones I tried! lol

Hello!

I have a problem after rns510 vw unit retrofit and mfsw retrofit.

My buttons (not all) not working.

volume up and down mute and light it is ok but the other buttons refuse to respond.

In measuring bloks it work but on the screen it does nothing.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I found another solution to the maxidot columbus issue. I recently did a facelift mfsw retrofit to my 07 vrs and had to change the steering control module to the 1k0953549CH type.  After which i gained the ability to navigate in and out of nav and audio on the pre fl maxidot screen, using stalk control (LH mfsw buttons set to columbus RH disabled)  I don't know if this is common knowledge but I didn't find this in my searching, hopefully it may help someone else.