1.2 TSI 90PS vs 110PS

I have now done over 1700 miles in my 1.2TSi 110 manual gearbox estate, including two 350 mile round-trip motorway journeys (with wife and 3 mid size dogs) and the rest made up by my regular 50 mile each way commute, which is usually with 2 -3 passengers over a 75/25% mix of dual carriageway and 2 lane trunk road and with a little round-town work thrown in between.  My average consumption since picking up the car is over 48mpg and with the engine run in and loosening up I have not found a need to change down when cruising even on inclines steeper than those found on motorways.  The more miles that I do, the more impressed I am, as the fuel consumption is working out to be only 10-12% less than my previous 1.6TDi Mk2 Fabia hatch used over exactly the same conditions (I usually see over 50 mpg now on my trip average consumption, and my 'since new' consumption is still slowly improving).  This suggests that Skoda dealers really need top make sure that the demonstrators are well run in before they are used for buyers to make a decision against so that potential buyers such as The TokRa see the car as it will be once they own it.

• Like 3

I have now done over 1700 miles in my 1.2TSi 110 manual gearbox estate, including two 350 mile round-trip motorway journeys (with wife and 3 mid size dogs) and the rest made up by my regular 50 mile each way commute, which is usually with 2 -3 passengers over a 75/25% mix of dual carriageway and 2 lane trunk road and with a little round-town work thrown in between.  My average consumption since picking up the car is over 48mpg and with the engine run in and loosening up I have not found a need to change down when cruising even on inclines steeper than those found on motorways.  The more miles that I do, the more impressed I am, as the fuel consumption is working out to be only 10-12% less than my previous 1.6TDi Mk2 Fabia hatch used over exactly the same conditions (I usually see over 50 mpg now on my trip average consumption, and my 'since new' consumption is still slowly improving).  This suggests that Skoda dealers really need top make sure that the demonstrators are well run in before they are used for buyers to make a decision against so that potential buyers such as The TokRa see the car as it will be once they own it.

You have a good point there. I have no idea what mileage was on the demonstrator I drove.  I didn't think to check!!  I'm glad to hear you are happy with your car though!!!

Recently test drove a TSI 110 SE with just shy of 5k on the clock, which felt like it had less go then my Spaceback TSI 105 even when new. Slightly disappointed as I'd have expected a 16v motor to be at least on par if not better than an 8v of the same capacity but in this comparison at least it was not the case.

TP

Ahh, uhm, I drove the 90 hp for one hour back in January so comparison wont be. This last weekend I was in Stockholm, meaning about 1400 kms on motorways. The 110 hp does it fine at 120-130 kmh but accelerating from there for a quick overtake will unveil the smallness of the motor, the oomph will not really appear.

Which again probably is a really unfair comparison as the car I drove only a week before that was the 2,2 liter 170 hp/400 Nm German Panzer.

Well tbf, the 90ps version is roughly 75bhp/ton , and the 110ps roughly 90bhp/ton.

Its not going to take off like a Ferrari at motorway speed.

• Like 1

Well tbf, the 90ps version is roughly 75bhp/ton , and the 110ps roughly 90bhp/ton.

Its not going to take off like a Ferrari at motorway speed.

Maybe because it aint no Ferrari :D

And I didnt buy my car for that reason, in all Im satisfied.

For the milage Im getting about 6,4 l/100 kms. Yoy may translate that into mpg yourself. Its a fair value considering my driving.

For the milage Im getting about 6,4 l/100 kms. Yoy may translate that into mpg yourself. Its a fair value considering my driving.

I know it isnt lol. Thats my point..

You buy a 1.2 turbo, it goes similar to a 1.6 N/A petrol, its not gonna set the world on fire.

I dno what people expect lol.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It is really weird to me, rated power outputs of different vehicles.

I have the 90ps 1.2l tsi Fabia hatch, and I also ride 1.2l Triumph Tiger Explorer with 137ps. The bike is my main drive, for commuting, and the Skoda is a motorised shopping trolley/trips out/weather too crappy for bike vehicle.

Same engine size but completely different animal on the road. So on the face of it I say yes, 110ps version of the Skoda 1.2 engine will give a very different experience to my 90ps one. But...(!!)... even my Triumph bike (which will blitz a Ferrari if I want it to) will drive precisely the same and show same petrol consumption as my Fabia DEPENDING on how I drive. Yes, I have the figures to prove it, but the important thing is the compromise between performance, comfort, and economy. The Triumph bike will happily accommodate any mood, and switch behaviour instantly, the Fabia will only accommodate the comfort and economy side and won't switch to anything else instantly... if at all. So its all down to what perceptible difference there is in performance between the Fabia engines, because a 1.2l engine will give similar figures regardless of tweaks in parameters..

Strip the body off the Fabia and halve the number of wheels, and you have a bike, but with the same figures.. Ok, now it might switch behaviours more readily, but still the same figures.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My opinion having tested BOTH versions for the extra £650 ? I/we decide the 110 was well worth the extra 70mph @ 2000 rpm is as good as our 1.6 [105] diesel but not ( quite ] as torquey & in 4.500 miles AVERAGED 53.4 mpg,pleased with our first petrol engined car since 1994 !!

• Like 1

My opinion having tested BOTH versions for the extra £650 ? I/we decide the 110 was well worth the extra 70mph @ 2000 rpm is as good as our 1.6 [105] diesel but not ( quite ] as torquey & in 4.500 miles AVERAGED 53.4 mpg,pleased with our first petrol engined car since 1994 !!

If it pleases then it's "right". Our 90ps version of the 1.2 tsi engine does just that... pleases!

Wife's new Polo 1.2TSI 110 SEL seems to have made it as far as Emden, so within a month we should be able to see what it is like to live with.

Pleased here too. 5000 kms passed since May, back and forth the 650 km route to Stockholm a couple of times, otherwise city driving only at an 6 l/100 km average in total. Thats really a very satisfying average my kind of driving considered and better than the old Octy TDI and even the CDI Merc.

• Like 1

Yeah I haven't bothered with anything but 2nd click recently (used to properly brim every other car because range was do pitiful - 300ish) Now its 480-500 miles I am not too fussed about brimming for normal driving.

I do forget when I last filled up and I'm doing 120+ miles before the guage starts to move from F (when it has been 3/4 days in the past.

I will brim it the next tank and then try and 2nd click it the one after.

Haven't done much hypermiling on this tank and it still thinks 480 total.

Yeah I haven't bothered with anything but 2nd click recently (used to properly brim every other car because range was do pitiful - 300ish) Now its 480-500 miles I am not too fussed about brimming for normal driving.

I do forget when I last filled up and I'm doing 120+ miles before the guage starts to move from F (when it has been 3/4 days in the past.

• 3 months later...

If you do mainly country roads, then the 90ps. I have an 18 year old BMW 323 4 door. My wife has a Skoda 1.2 90 ps. Obviously there is quite a difference in handling terms. However the 90 ps is great around town, and also fine on motorways. If you did regular motorway trips then perhaps the 110 ps with 6 speed manual would be a better choice. I shall keep the BM till it drops, but we are thinking of replacing the Fabia and I will go with any of the (Audi designed) petrols. With UK motorways you are lucky not to get caught in: heavy traffic, 60 limits at congestion times, or 50mph roadworks. We get about 49 to 50 mpg overall. If you get caught with the tank warning light and have to ease off - when you drop to 60 to 65 and switch a/c off (a big energy drain on a small car at speed) you get 60mpg. Perhaps a more important decision than these engines is the choice of options. The standard a/c is OK but I would go for full climate control. Also do not get daytime running lights - most people who do seem to forget that you get no rear lights on, and you cannot see them ahead of you in tunnels etc.

So, unless you do motorway journeys regularly, I would chose the 90 ps and get some sensible options.

All cars need a few miles after brimming before the needle moves off F. All fuel gauges digital or analogue, work off a simple float to read the fuel height and then electronically convert to a gauge reading. You therefore cannot have the float sitting at the top of an overfilled tank - it would soon get broken by slapping at the tank top.

Your suggestion not to get "daytime running lights" is flawed, they are probably the law now in EU, most if not all VAG cars can be reconfigured to have the rear marker lights on when DRL are on.

Also do not get daytime running lights - most people who do seem to forget that you get no rear lights on, and you cannot see them ahead of you in tunnels etc.

You are obligated to turn main beam on in the tunnel AFAIK. Or in any kind of poor light conditions for that matter. In case you have light assistant they turn on automatically anyway. 

• Like 1

Manufacturers 'Must fit DRL's' to 'New Cars' but those are ones which were Type Approved after Feb 2011.

The 2015 All New Fabia never got 'Type Approved' as a New Car, it is just running as a updated Fabia on the Type Approval, hence they were not required in EU Legislation.

By my reckoning that's 44.3 mpg ... ?