1.2 TSI 90PS vs 110PS

Hi guys,

I am looking into buying a new fabia, which would be my first new car.

I have the option between 1.2TSI 90PS (5 gear manual) vs 110PS (6 gear manual).

I do mostly country roads, 90km round trip daily.

What do you suppose would be the main difference between the two apart from one being quicker. They are priced almost the same and I am thinking about the 6 gear manual. However, I am concerned whether this will impact fuel economy.

By the way, what do you reckon is the actual fuel economy on country roads?

ive driven the 90ps manual and have the 110dsg

really happy with my choice! engine has plenty of torque from very few revs.

the gearbox may be the deciding factor as theres very little difference unless youre thrashing them!

I think youre better off asking a couple of dealers to try them and decide.

110 all the way - I can't see there being much (if any) real-world difference in mpg as you'll not have to work the 110 quite as hard to make progress.

I testdrove the 90 and ordered the 110! The 110 is a great little engine, I get great MPG already after only 1000 miles. The 90 felt suprisingly slow (compared to a 105 dsg roomster), so I went for the 110. I don't remember the consumption figures by heart, but there should not be a big difference, and I suspect that the 110 might even be more economical on longer runs thanks to more torque and better gearing.

• Like 1

What was the difference between the 85 and 105 engines? As they are only a tweaked version with different engine maps.

From power bands I've seen it appears the torque is over a wider rev range on the 110.

I did want to fastest petrol fabia available with a DSG

I went for the 110 hp very much because of the 6 speed box, which by some to me incomprehensible reason isnt available for neither the 90 hp gasoline engine nor the 105 hp diesel. Lower revs at highway speeds are always attractive for the lower noise level.

IMHO

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I'm considering buying a pre registered (april 2015) 1.2 tsi 110ps  Fabia Estate, It has 0 miles on the clock, been sitting the dealership show room all that time.  I just wanted to check, because I never thought to ask the dealer on the phone, is the 6 speed box just a new thing (model update) or do all Fabia MkIII's with the 1.2 tsi 110PS engine have the 6 speed box?

Thanks!!

Hey guys,

I'm considering buying a pre registered (april 2015) 1.2 tsi 110ps  Fabia Estate, It has 0 miles on the clock, been sitting the dealership show room all that time.  I just wanted to check, because I never thought to ask the dealer on the phone, is the 6 speed box just a new thing (model update) or do all Fabia MkIII's with the 1.2 tsi 110PS engine have the 6 speed box?

Thanks!!

1.2 tsi 110ps with DSG has 7 gears

Having done a test drive of both and not wanting a diesel because my usual local driving would probably mess up a DPF I went for the 90 but only because  could not find a significant difference (to me) between the two and suspect that the 110 is actually a more stressed engine. Certainly would not have the DSG because although they should have got it sorted now, I have read too many bad reports about it.

• Like 1

Having done a test drive of both and not wanting a diesel because my usual local driving would probably mess up a DPF I went for the 90 but only because  could not find a significant difference (to me) between the two and suspect that the 110 is actually a more stressed engine. Certainly would not have the DSG because although they should have got it sorted now, I have read too many bad reports about it.

That would be your loss then.

Looking at honest Johns car reviews it seems there is a lot of trouble with VAG DSG`s. Have they sorted it yet? I suppose the people who get the new models are the unwitting testers for new stuff.

Looking at honest Johns car reviews it seems there is a lot of trouble with VAG DSG`s. Have they sorted it yet? I suppose the people who get the new models are the unwitting testers for new stuff.

No problems with the two on my drive.  "Honest" John lacks credibility with me.

yetifabia,

did your Fabia not require the Service Campaign Field Action on the DQ200 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG.

Plenty have had an issue and require the Preventative Measure of a Work Wide Recall which excluded Europe,

yet required the changing the Factory Fill Synthetic Oil to Mineral and the ECU Software Update.

Then there were those that had clutch pack failures.

Obviously a small number considering how many were built in the 4 years of the ones with possible issues.

but then a poor response from VW , Audi, Skoda, Seat to customers concerns was just poor Customer Services & the VW way.

Ignore the paying Customers.

Obviously now all new DSG will be fault free....

Vorsprung Durch Technik

yetifabia,

did your Fabia not require the Service Campaign Field Action on the DQ200 7 Speed Twin Dry Clutch DSG.

Plenty have had an issue and require the Preventative Measure of a Work Wide Recall which excluded Europe,

yet required the changing the Factory Fill Synthetic Oil to Mineral and the ECU Software Update.

Then there were those that had clutch pack failures.

Obviously a small number considering how many were built in the 4 years of the ones with possible issues.

but then a poor response from VW , Audi, Skoda, Seat to customers concerns was just poor Customer Services & the VW way.

Ignore the paying Customers.

Obviously now all new DSG will be fault free....

Vorsprung Durch Technik

Yes it had the recall, like many new cars do for many reasons.  No problems before and no problems afterwards.  I think you blow this up out of all proportion every time you post.

For anyone who has driven the 1.2 TSI 90PS and the 110PS engine,  How dd you find the two compared at motorway speeds?

I have test driven the 1.2 90PS version with the 5 speed box, and TBH I found it severely lacking in any oomph when I floored it at 60 MPH.  A lot of noise once it wound up a bit, but not much of an increase in speed at all.  Am I likely to see better performance at motorway speeds from the 1.2 110PS version with it's 6 speed box?

I'll be coming from a 1.9 TDI PD 100 elegance, and I'm hoping to have similar performance to that, both nipping around town, and at motorway speeds.  Is that the impossible dream!!

Thanks!

yetifabia,  good that you have had no issues and that a Dealer or Skoda UK Contacted you.

you might think i blow it out of proportion,  but then you think there was a 'recall',  which there was not in the UK.  just a Service Campaign', 

Not just a new car issue, the Problem was there from 2009-2013 before Recalls in 2012 for the World Recall, 

and 2013 in the Parts of the World that get a Service Campaign and no extended warranties because European Governments let 

VW please them  shelves.

I know approx how many Registered Keepers have never had their cars in for the Free Field Actions because there was no Recall.

So the more made aware the better, especially when the Service Campaign is a Preventative Measure, there are a fair few that had issues.

At least in New Zealand a Service Campaign has Skoda contacting Registered keepers. like a UK Recall would require them to.

http://skoda.co.nz/news/dsg-service-campaign

Edited by goneoffSKi

For anyone who has driven the 1.2 TSI 90PS and the 110PS engine,  How dd you find the two compared at motorway speeds?

I have test driven the 1.2 90PS version with the 5 speed box, and TBH I found it severely lacking in any oomph when I floored it at 60 MPH.  A lot of noise once it wound up a bit, but not much of an increase in speed at all.  Am I likely to see better performance at motorway speeds from the 1.2 110PS version with it's 6 speed box?

I'll be coming from a 1.9 TDI PD 100 elegance, and I'm hoping to have similar performance to that, both nipping around town, and at motorway speeds.  Is that the impossible dream!!

Thanks!

Ahh, uhm, I drove the 90 hp for one hour back in January so comparison wont be. This last weekend I was in Stockholm, meaning about 1400 kms on motorways. The 110 hp does it fine at 120-130 kmh but accelerating from there for a quick overtake will unveil the smallness of the motor, the oomph will not really appear.

Which again probably is a really unfair comparison as the car I drove only a week before that was the 2,2 liter 170 hp/400 Nm German Panzer.

Ahh, uhm, I drove the 90 hp for one hour back in January so comparison wont be. This last weekend I was in Stockholm, meaning about 1400 kms on motorways. The 110 hp does it fine at 120-130 kmh but accelerating from there for a quick overtake will unveil the smallness of the motor, the oomph will not really appear.

Which again probably is a really unfair comparison as the car I drove only a week before that was the 2,2 liter 170 hp/400 Nm German Panzer.

Thanks for your reply,  O.K. so if I floor it at 120 KPH it's just going to grumble and groan, not much else, but will it do the same thing at 95 KPH?

I like the styling and space of the Fabia Estate, but the engine choices sure are lacking if you like a bit of go from your car.  My 1.9 TDI estate isn't that far removed from the VRS, the only reason I'm even selling it is that the Syncro mesh between 1st and 2nd is on it's way out, and I don't fancy the cost of the gearbox strip down and rebuild :no:

I wish they had some 1.4 tsi engines to choose from, perhaps that will come in time, but that doesn't help me just now.

Edited by TheTokRa

I managed to get away from work a bit earlier from work today, so went through to the main dealers and test drove a fabia estate with the 6 speed box and 110PS engine.

Here are my thoughts, my personal opinions only!! So please take with a pinch of salt.

The 1.2 TSI engine is smooth and quiet, even when rev'd pretty hard.  I drove it in town for very short stretch, but mostly did motorway miles in it, as motorway competence was my main concern.

So, around town it was quite quick really, especially for such a small engine, and despite booting it a fair bit, I think I was averaging around 40 MPG, so not bad at all.  Pretty impressed with it around town.

That said however, on the motorway it was a different story, At around 60 MPH and in 4th gear, it will pull reasonably well, but it is working hard to accelerate with any oomph, and the fuel economy drops like a stone, but that's to be expected I suppose. On the flat In either 5th or 6th gear at a constant speed it's happy to cruise along, and you'll get half decent fuel economy , but still only around 48 MPG. 

What really let it down for me though, was on the journey back to the dealers, still on the motorway, but this time with a reasonable head wind, and heading up a slight incline in 6th gear, if you give it a little throttle to compensate when you feel it slowing on the incline the fuel economy just drops like a stone to under 20MPG.  You have to drop it down a gear into 5th, or even 4th.

For me at least, having to change up and down through the gears just to cope with the regular slight inclines and declines on your average motorway AND keep the fuel consumption in the 40 - 50 MPG range is just not acceptable, and for that reason alone, I'm going to have to look elsewhere for a small petrol powered hatchback, which is a pity, as I really like the styling and interior of the Mk3 Fabia

The 1.4 Tsi Polo BlueGT is looking a bit more promising, on paper at least, but it sure is expensive (new) and nice used examples are like hens teeth, particularly up here in Scotland where I live :envy:

Edited by TheTokRa

It should be driven like a diesel using the torque between 1400 and 4000rpm.

I dont think there is anything to gain with revs above 4000rpm. My DSG like to stay in the area between 1300 and 2000 rpm. Even with kick down for overtaking on motorway it didnt exceed 3500 rpm (in D-mode).