Suzuki Vitara (New model) and S Cross Thread

I think one of the reasons that Suzuki recently split with VW is they didn't use any VW engines, or rather VW wouldn't let them have any at a low cost. Think Suzuki has had the last laugh there :D So far the on line review are not mentioning the Fiat engine as the source, even though it sounds suspiciously like the Fiats 1.4 turbo engine.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So?

Expand!

Tell us all the naughty bits.

It's the sz5 model with the 1.6 diesel engine. Finished in turquoise with the black roof grille and wing mirrors. So far driven 250 miles mostly around town and am averaging 50 to the gallon although I expect this to rise once it's run in properly. Sat nav and on board phone and Bluetooth all work well however I can't get the mirrorlink to work with my Samsung Note 4.

So far I have found the build quality to be quite impressive with no squeaks or rattles. The engine appears quiet until revved hard. Obviously performance is substantially different to the vRS but then so are the running costs.

Service from the dealer J&J Motors in Swansea was absolutely impeccable I really couldn't fault them. Needless to say in looking forward to racking up some miles in it now.

Neil

• Like 1

Nice.

I've always regarded Suzuki's as long term reliable devices that 'get the job done' types and out here at least, tend to embarrass the blundering ' biguns '.

When it comes to European sophistication it usually involves complexity.

Sometimes less IS more and gives peace of mind and a tendency to be ruggedly reliable.

Went down to look at a Vitara S with the new 1.4 engine in it.  My dead was replacing his Freelander which he has had from new and is 8 years old now.

On paper they look great and obviously my family have a big link with suzuki swifts so we know how well they are put together,  however the vitara felt very very cheap, sure it was £24k but it really did not cut the mustard.

Ended up in a Landcover dealership and ended up walking away with an order for a Brand new Landcover Discovery Sport SE Tech auto, sure it was £36k, but they gave 11k for an 8yr old Freelander, which was great as they don;t give discounts on discovery sports currently due to waiting lists.  

Have to say for the money it s a lot of kit 7 seats, all the toys you could imagine an that amazing new ingenium diesel engine with the 9 speed box, 

^^^^^^ we Aussies certainly wouldn't consider them as comparable at all.

Neither would I. Two completely different ends of the spectrum in my opinion.

• Like 1

Glad you like your Vitara. My only real complaint about my SZ5 diesel (all grip) is the steering is very dead. It's probably the most electric feeling steering I have ever driven and I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard for Suzuki to improve.  Oh and I think they use sun tan lotion to lubricate the door hinges, as it certainly doesn't seem to have anything in common with grease or proper thick oily stuff :D

I love the Land Crab. Nearly bought one as my first car. I doubt I have ever had enough friends to fill the back seat though :D

This is my old Mk11 (Mk1 was much better)

Ruined by bean counters who deleted anti-rust and molly grease in the CVs.......******s.post-114489-0-95459900-1453930427_thumb.jpeg

I loved the (almost) push-me/pull-you styling :)

Note the Pininfarina 'fins' of the Mk11 (claimed to be shorter than a Cortina but more room than a Ford LTD)......now I'm getting all nostalgic))))

• Like 1