Suzuki Vitara (New model) and S Cross Thread

I'm enjoying your Vitara updates Amanda, keep them coming. I can't seem to find a decent Suzuki forum. My Suzuki dealer phoned me the other day trying to get me to swap the S-Cross I have only had for 15 months, If I did it would be for a Vitara (or Yeti), but not yet, when the automatic Vitara is available and has been comprehensively reviewed. I remain delighted with the fuel economy of my petrol S-Cross. A trip to Chichester and back yesterday (from the midlands) returned an indicated 55 mpg! I know what you mean about the ride being good on diesel versions, it is the same with the S-Cross. Trouble is I don't need, and can't justify the cost of, the diesel version.

One question, how do you find the road noise? The S-Cross isn't too bad but I have read in the inconsistent motoring press that the Vitara suffers from intrusive noise? Mind you they say that about the Yeti and it isn't bad.

I find the road noise to be fine, but there again my other daily driver is an M135 which suffers quite a bit of road noise :D Also wind noise is fine too. I think it's about average for it's class in both those areas. the only intrusive noise is under load from the engine really and I can live with that.

In a way it is the car my Sedici always wanted to be.....if that makes sense?

Thanks, yes makes sense. Will go and have a look at one properly soon. I'm hoping that it offers a more upright driving position than the S-Cross which I find a bit low after the Yeti. 

Thanks, yes makes sense. Will go and have a look at one properly soon. I'm hoping that it offers a more upright driving position than the S-Cross which I find a bit low after the Yeti. 

I think the position is very slightly higher than the S Cross. I believe it has a teeny bit more ground clearance too. The seats have quite a bit of padding in the back which at first I thought was a little odd, but have grown to like the support. Also there is no heated seat on offer :( but the material of the SZ5 feels very warm to sit on, admittedly the coldest temperature I have sat in the car was about 8 degrees so far, but I think it will be fine in the winter. The high efficiency of the diesel doesn't half make it slow to warm up though.

The short length and great turning circle are a boon however, so much so I got quite a shock driving my 1 series today and trying a 3 point turn in a very narrow street.

The lead item in today's GoAuto News is dedicated to the all new Vitara if you're interested........other models also.

Sorry links on iPad are not my forte unfortunately.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Used the vehicle at work this week. Carrying colleagues and equipment around Silverstone. Everyone who got in the car was impressed with it, even though the plastics are pretty low rent and the doors feel rather light (they all drive German cars). Managed to drive 550 miles averaging 55mpg. Not bad considering reasonably high speed motorway cruising and a couple of days driving around Silverstone in first gear dropping equipment off.

The new Ssang Yong Tivoli has been in a mini test against the Vitara in Auto Express this week.

Here's a link

The cheap and cheerful Vitara seems to be still liked by the mag :)

I'm not sure which is uglier, the Tivoli or Nissan's Juke.

• Like 1

Used the vehicle at work this week. Carrying colleagues and equipment around Silverstone. Everyone who got in the car was impressed with it, even though the plastics are pretty low rent and the doors feel rather light (they all drive German cars). Managed to drive 550 miles averaging 55mpg. Not bad considering reasonably high speed motorway cruising and a couple of days driving around Silverstone in first gear dropping equipment off.

You can bet 'light' doors will be a feature on the next Yeti......you're just ahead of the pack.

You can bet 'light' doors will be a feature on the next Yeti......you're just ahead of the pack.

It was noticeable that my colleagues failed to shut the doors on my Vitara on many occasions due to the lack of inertia in the light doors :D

It was noticeable that my colleagues failed to shut the doors on my Vitara on many occasions due to the lack of inertia in the light doors :D

Our Pug has the modern light doors development but they have been engineered for a sumptuous thud....v happy)))

Edited by Ryeman

Our Pug has the modern light doors development but they have been engineered for a sumptuous thud....v happy)))

I might try to find my tin of 3 in 1 and see if I can reduce the friction :D 'Livin' the dream'.

I didn't know VW owned 19.9% of Suzuki which they have been told they have to sell out of by a London based International Court of Arbitration......apparently Suzukis were to get VW diesels.

They fell out when Suzuki bought Fiat engines. I'm guessing VW were asking too much money for a budget brand like Suzy. Can't say I am missing having a VW lump in my Vitara, the Fiat engine is a nice little engine :)

I'd aim for 10% or better. Don't know if that is possible with the new Swift though (don't know when it was launched). Best wait for a little while after a launch before the bigger discounts kick in.

They fell out when Suzuki bought Fiat engines. I'm guessing VW were asking too much money for a budget brand like Suzy. Can't say I am missing having a VW lump in my Vitara, the Fiat engine is a nice little engine :)

Agree, my Jeep Wrangler had an Italian VM Motori engine which is now a Detroit Diesel / GM owned coy and found in SKorean cars.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm liking the look of the new Suzy Ignis Crossover concept, quite a funky little thing and has an amazing lack of rear overhang. Departure angles must be silly if you actually go off road in one. It's a bit like an off road SC100 for those old enough to remember :D Sounds like they may well build this little car and it would be great to see an alternative to the mega Fiat Panda Cross :)

• 1 month later...