Briskoda - Project Cars Thread

Ally_bassman

Resurrecting a bit of an old thread here, but hey.

Are you still playing Project Cars? It is literally the only game I play with limited time I have available for gaming! I've put in hours and hours and became pretty damn good at it with the controller. I generally play on 100 difficultly and 100% race length. Completed many championships and currently racing in LMP1 in the endurance series.

As much as I love the game it is definitely lacking without a wheel. It forces the use of assists like traction control as the back end stepping out is damn near impossible to catch with any sort of consistency. Controlling the amount of opposite lock with a controller is very difficult.

Anyway the point of all this is... I've been considering getting myself a wheel - the T300RS in fact. Looks like it's the best option on PS4.

The problem is I just don't know where to put it and if it will be comfortable to use. I have my PS4 in my living room hooked up to a nice 46" Sony Bravia. I can't picture how I could set it up to use without re-arranging my living room! Did you buy a stand for it? Do you use yours while sitting on the sofa?

I really want to play this game with a wheel but I can't decide if the hassle is worth the pay off.

Cheers.

I certainly am! To be honest it sounds like we are In a similar predicament, I play Project Cars when I can.. which isn't as much as I'd like!!

Yes, the T300 is a quality piece of kit, the Feedback from the wheel is amazing, but the pedals are poor in comparison. I have mine connected to a Wheel Stand Pro Deluxe V2: http://wheelstandpro.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=61

It's easily folded away out of sight. When using it I sit on a dining chair in front of the TV. Once we move and have more space, I intend to have a more permanent setup.

Don't be fooled though, using a Steering wheel with this game in no way makes it easier!! I found myself re-learning the game and the way I drive it. But it's bloody satisfying and immersive!

I certainly am! To be honest it sounds like we are In a similar predicament, I play Project Cars when I can.. which isn't as much as I'd like!!

Yes, the T300 is a quality piece of kit, the Feedback from the wheel is amazing, but the pedals are poor in comparison. I have mine connected to a Wheel Stand Pro Deluxe V2: http://wheelstandpro.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=61

It's easily folded away out of sight. When using it I sit on a dining chair in front of the TV. Once we move and have more space, I intend to have a more permanent setup.

Don't be fooled though, using a Steering wheel with this game in no way makes it easier!! I found myself re-learning the game and the way I drive it. But it's bloody satisfying and immersive!

That's the stand I was just looking at.

I noticed a lot of comments about poor pedals when reading through some reviews. I sort of imagine pedals to be quite awkward to use anyway.

I can see it being a very steep learning curve having played racing games with controllers all my life!

I had thought perhaps using a kitchen chair with the stand. Be good if I could find a way to comfortably use it on the sofa. I'd love one of the playseats but I just don't have the space in my flat!

I think I'll be mulling over this for a while!

• Like 1

• Administrators

SWMBO discovered the PS4, so I've not touched it in 4 months. I was also wondering about wheels, but the PS$ will it won't it chip debate put me off bothering till the market filled up and the price dropped. I'm confident the game will be good for a few years, so I'll grab a wheel when I think SWMBO has done chasing dragons.

I was so close to ordering it yesterday! But decided to put my sensible head on and wait. I've got accountancy exams in December so probably best not to add another distraction.

Think I will go for the T300RS though. I'll get it ordered in time for Christmas - as a nice gift to myself!

Good man, you won't be disappointed with it!

Only thing I can suggest is, Project Cars force feedback model is pretty brutal, coupe that with the brutal FFB model that the T300RS can produce means your wrist are going to hurt.......fast! I turn my FFB down to around 85-90 depending on the car I'm driving.

Good man, you won't be disappointed with it!

Only thing I can suggest is, Project Cars force feedback model is pretty brutal, coupe that with the brutal FFB model that the T300RS can produce means your wrist are going to hurt.......fast! I turn my FFB down to around 85-90 depending on the car I'm driving.

Cheers for the tip. Did you follow an online guide for setup or just play it by ear? Seen a few referred to on the Project Cars forums e.g. http://pcars.oscarolim.pt/ - to be honest the numbers mean jack all to me, but I'm sure they'll be more clear once I have the wheel and start 'fiddling'.

The more I read, the more I read about the pedals being very poor. Particularly the brake. Apparently it's not progressive and difficult to be consistent with. Have you modded yours at all? Here's a DIY mod I seen someone recommend: http://www.isrtv.com/pc-racing/diy-thrustmaster-tx-and-t300-rs-brake-pedal-mod/ - the top comment suggests an even easier mod!

I could see myself in the future maybe upgrading the pedals and possibly getting a shifter. I think it would be quite fun for some cars, particularly having the option of a sequential shift with a stick. Although I'm not desperate to have a clutch. I don't even need to bother with that with my real car!

I did indeed! The project cars forum is very useful, there are the 'Jack Spade' settings which are very good. I use that as a loose guide then tweak to suit.

Adding a squash ball behind the brake will give you some better progression and feel. But I plan to upgrade them sometime!