Tired vRS...

We have had the vRS a few years now and it has been a great little car... it is coming up to 150,000 miles and whilst in great condition cosmetically and the engine feels stronger than ever the suspension feels a little tired.

I planned to trade the car in but the Wife is rather fond of her little vRS and it has been superb. So the plan is to spend a bit of money on it to revive the suspension.

The console bushes have already been replaced with powerflow replacements but other than that it is all OE stuff that hasn't been replaced.

So what would you do first?

I'm thinking new dampers should be the first thing? It doesn't feel as 'solid' as my friends low mileage example when going over bad roads, and seems to roll a bit more than it used too... hence the dampers were my first thought. Sachs OE seem to be available for around £200.

Any advice appreciated.

Ap springs and shocks for the vrs are very good value, and would certainly improve your suspension feel, whilst being a bit lower than standard :)

You can get them for not much more than £200 if you're prepared to buy direct from Germany.

Edited by softscoop
  • Like 2

I would give the EGR valve a really good clean, if it's never been done and on 150k it would be crying for a little TLC. do the intercooler at the same time :) Costs nothing but time :)

• Like 1

The AP spring/shock kit gets another vote from me. Something I'll be doing to mine in the not to distant future. 

You then have a choice of either replacing what looks worst in regards to the other bushes or replacing the lot... personally if I was spending on the suspension kit and given the mileage yours has covered I'd replace everything. 

Front strut top mounts/bearings, smaller front wishbone bushes, and new ball joints. Could also do the track-rod ends at the same time if they have a bit of play. Also check/change the anti-roll bar bushes and drop links.

On the rear there isn't as much to change. The big rear beam bushes could be worth looking at, the rear bump stops are likely perished and I think there is a rubber mount on the rear for the springs to seat in to. 

• Like 1

Lowering springs are not going to happen... uprated dampers I might be able to get away with but it is the Wife's car and she wants to keep it standard (although it is mapped!) ... 

I will cost up the parts and see if we can do the lot in one go. 

I priced up the parts on doc, to renew top mounts, track control arms, ball joints and front wishbone bushes, at about 100quid. Plan on getting upgraded rear console bust and arb bushes from dealer.

you might as well do the lot as most of them parts will be easily accessible during the change so Labour will be much less,and when I needed a new tca that cost me 100 alone.