Spaceback 1.6 TDi DSG advice

Hi.

I am due to test drive one at the weekend.

If anyone who owns one could provide any info it would be really helpful , particularly:

Real world MPG. I'd like  to think I'd get 85% of the book figures.

Is the 90 BHP engine coupled to a DSG box adequate, I have a thinking in my mind  that this isn't really powerful enough, especially as it'll be a family car.

Any general good or bad points/common problems.

Thanks

Hello,

I have one of this on order waiting. I hope i will receive it in the first week of June.

I'm happy to know there's another driver interested in a Spaceback with DSG and the 1.6 TDI...

I think you are going to have a great family car, with a great engine and gear box also. It isn't a powerful one, but it haves enough power to give you a great drive moments with less fuel than others.

It's not that lightweight with a honking great diesel in the front - so it will ride and handle less well than the petrol.

That said, if you do high miles (or km's) the diesel economy will payoff in the end.

I only do about 16000 miles a year so the gruff diesel could not possibly win me over from the silky smooth TSi 105.

If you like the Rapid, you should probably test drive one of each, then decide. Thats what I did :thumbup:

Edited by camelspyyder

With my 75,000 miles experience of the 1.6TDI-DSG in the Octavia II.

Pootling about on long sightseeing runs, even when heavily loaded

60mpg is achievable.

Otherwise certainly the right side of 50mpg in mixed runs, middle 50's not unusual.

Only down in the 40's when on multiple short urban runs, or on an occassional DPF re-gen as a result of such DPF unsuited driving.

The DSG probably masks the slight absolute power shortcomings of the wee 1.6TDI.

I find it phenominally good for overtaking.

Yes it gets racous, but it sure goes.

Oh!

Ignore my "fuelly" figs, way out of date and included winter trailer towing!

Edited by dieseldogg

Not driven this combination but have extensively used other TDI DSG combos as well as 1.6 TDI manuals. In the Spaceback I found the TSI 105 with the 6 speed manual better to drive after originally intending to go TDI. So as suggested above I would give various options a try if you can and see what's best for you.

TP,

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

DSG remove the disadvantage of diesel driving experience. diesel engine generally have a very narrow power band and you'll forever changing the gears. DSG gearbox ensure the rpm is in right band all the time. 

i dont need diesel cos i do a lot of short trip. but if i do a lot of milages on motorway and needing diesel. i'd make sure it has DSG gearbox

DSG remove the disadvantage of diesel driving experience. diesel engine generally have a very narrow power band and you'll forever changing the gears. DSG gearbox ensure the rpm is in right band all the time. 

It's not a disadvantage if you drive for pleasure though. DSG is rather boring to drive imho...

It's not a disadvantage if you drive for pleasure though. DSG is rather boring to drive imho...

My DSG combined with the steering wheel paddles makes me certain that my next car will have the same setup. Being able to flick down a gear or two (or three), with both hands still on the steering wheel, before overtaking is just one of the advantages.

you think its fun to change gear every 7mph? and change the gear 6 times every time you hit 45mph? then repeat again everytime you stop ?

Like our ancestors used to do.

Ok if you do that for work. I mostly use the car on motorways for example and the manual gearbox is not a problem. Like most things i believe that's a matter of taste/need/budget, no objective truths there[emoji2]

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone using Tapatalk

Edited by Vtronic

Very strange that people can own or drive these terrible DSG's. and not get them fixed because those working 

properly as designed to are pretty much a joy to drive.

Pumping your left foot up and down to operate a clutch pedal seems to be greatly over rated IMO.

Thanks all for the replies. 

It's more than fair to say that everyone in our family's missed having a Skoda since we got rid of our Mk1 Fabia nearly 2 years ago when I originally posted about this about a rapid spaceback. At that time when they were still relatively new I didn't think it they were worth the money so got a 2nd hand VW 1.6 Tdi instead.

Fast forward and well,  I ordered one of these 1.2 TSi SE Sports at the weekend (same colour as picture).

Having been diesel for 15+ years I've decided I've had enough of them, our VW 1.6 TDi Defeat Device err sorry "BlueMotion" was ok but after the EGR valve went (under warranty but still a pain in the backside) I've decided modern diesels are just too complicated for their own good.

Saying that I did cling onto the diesel idea as long as I could and even test drove the 1.4 TDi but I liked the 1.2 TSi engine more anyway, I thought it was way more fun and even with the higher mpg of the diesel, I calculated that based on our now changed annual mileage and usage it'd take 4 years to get the money back in on less fuel costs if I got the diesel over the lower price petrol, even longer if I got the DSG version.

I was really surprised how much room our little rear passengers will have, although they'll probably spend most of the time staring out the glass roof to notice to be honest.

Just the 12 week wait for it now ( probably more knowing my luck ) because I had the audacity to put some optional extras on.

It feels good to be getting a Skoda again,  whether I'll be saying that once I've owned it for a few months is a different matter!

Thanks again

post-20528-0-30183300-1455720725_thumb.jpg

Thanks all for the replies. 

It's more than fair to say that everyone in our family's missed having a Skoda since we got rid of our Mk1 Fabia nearly 2 years ago when I originally posted about this about a rapid spaceback. At that time when they were still relatively new I didn't think it they were worth the money so got a 2nd hand VW 1.6 Tdi instead.

Fast forward and well,  I ordered one of these 1.2 TSi SE Sports at the weekend (same colour as picture).

Having been diesel for 15+ years I've decided I've had enough of them, our VW 1.6 TDi Defeat Device err sorry "BlueMotion" was ok but after the EGR valve went (under warranty but still a pain in the backside) I've decided modern diesels are just too complicated for their own good.

Saying that I did cling onto the diesel idea as long as I could and even test drove the 1.4 TDi but I liked the 1.2 TSi engine more anyway, I thought it was way more fun and even with the higher mpg of the diesel, I calculated that based on our now changed annual mileage and usage it'd take 4 years to get the money back in on less fuel costs if I got the diesel over the lower price petrol, even longer if I got the DSG version.

I was really surprised how much room our little rear passengers will have, although they'll probably spend most of the time staring out the glass roof to notice to be honest.

Just the 12 week wait for it now ( probably more knowing my luck ) because I had the audacity to put some optional extras on.

It feels good to be getting a Skoda again,  whether I'll be saying that once I've owned it for a few months is a different matter!

Thanks again

attachicon.gifRapid Exterior.JPG

Great stuff - i nearly ordered that blue is the SE Sport looks really nice in it, but decided the Red was the colour for ours... if you have not seen my thread - check it out- http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/386039-arrived-my16-skoda-rapid-spaceback-corrida-red-photos-ownership-thread/

I went for the 1,4tdi,

The best option, is the LED DRL's make sure you go for them :)

The leg room in the rear is really good as you have notice, i am very surprised by it!