Skoda Fabia 1.2 TSI Engine rattle noise. Anyone had the same?

Hi guys, got a bit of a rattle coming from my engine so thought I'd post it up here to see if anyone knew what it could be. Took my car for a service the other day at the main dealer and asked them to have a listen but they didn't bother I don't think.

Can only really hear it at idle, doesn't seem to matter if the engine is hot or cold. When I rev the car or move off from standstill it goes away but sometimes can be heard when creeping forward.

Is it the infamous cam belt thing? Not clued up about cars so please bare that in mind when replying!

Thanks in advance

Judging by the pictures, that is the original TSI engine so it has a cam drive chain and not a belt. Is that noise not just injector and high pressure fuel pump noise? (I don't run one just I'm just giving my thoughts)

Yeah I've had a listen to a few YouTube videos and read a few threads but can't seem to find someone with the exact same noise I think. Thought I'd post a video for a more knowledgeable member to analyse

Although fuel pumps are noisy on this engine, it does sound very much as if the camchain is stretched.

Known problem, go to dealer and quote the following TPI

Should be free as its a known manufacturing defect.

TPI 2026513-5 - Engine rattling noises from engine compartment when starting engine

Read all about it here...

TPI 2026513-5 - Engine rattling noises from engine compartment when starting engine

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

I looked into this known issue of timing chain failures prior to buying my monte 13 p. Apparently the issue concerns those cars built in 2 factories within a range of engine numbers. Skodha sent out a notice of work to dealers in November 2012 for cars effected, so yours could possibly b one effected given its a 60 plate. If you search on here, I started this thread http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/349393-monte-carlo-12tsi-105-engine-issues-what-year-effected/ and a member provided me with the link to the engine n.o effected once you cross reference with your own engine n.o. to discount the timing chain as the issue you have (hopefully). My local dealer was aware of the issue and assured me mine wasn't effected. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies

Bit of a development. When I put the AC on the rattling noise from inside the cabin seems to stop but the engine still sounds the same when I open the hood whether the AC is off or on.

Looking frpm the front, near the left hand side is some piping that goes down a tube/shield, the pipes are known to rattle against the sides, later cars have some foam around the pipes to stop this.

• Like 1

i get this noise too veery now and then when starting the car :sweat: but sibnce it goes away i never relly made a big deal of it ,today it showed up Again ,is yours constant or does it go away ? i read in a thread along time ago that it was a Rattle from one of the hosses touching something !!!

happens all the time for me, but only when the cars at standstill or creeping. Will have a bit of a play with the AC etc see if I can find out what's causing it

Edited by yus786
  • Thanks 1

happens all the time for me, but only when the cars at standstill or creeping. Will have a bit of a play with the AC etc see if I can find out what's causing it

I know exactly what it is as it happened to my monte when I had it. It's your fuel pipes, as xman stated under the bonnet on the drivers side in front of your coolant you will see 2 pipes going vertical, push them down or up and it'll go, It will come back though. I put some foam in between them and cable tied them then it stopped.

• Like 1

Just watched the video.

Can you tell me about your car in Rallye Green Metallic?

Is it Resprayed or is that a standard special edition in that colour? 

I bought it like this, it's been resprayed

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, My April 2011 roomy had the same issue and after some investigation it came out it was the infamous timing chain problem (tough my engine s/n wasn't in any official notice). I have been lucky since I have had the latest Skoda kit fitted with no charge; when I bought the car I also signed for the 4-year extension warranty......you never know!

I'd say, if you're out of warranty first try the rattling fuel line hoses fix. It is easy and if it works you will find a no-cost solution. If the noise is still there, have the car inspected. Skoda services know how to check if the timing chain is stretching out of its given limits. If this is the case,if you have had the car regularly serviced at Skoda, you should be entitled to some discount since the problem is well known and affecting many 1.2 tsi engines.

Good luck ;-)

Edited by Lorenzo

Yus, this is definitely the Cam Chain tensioner failing, so that is the sound of the chain being loose.  This wears the chain out fast, and if it does fail it will lunch the engine.  You should get this sorted out asap.  If you get any warning lights at all turn it off and get it towed.

Exactly the same thing with my 60 plate 1.2 TSI 105 that had 37k on it.  I notice that you have a bunch of gunk around the seal on the left hand side of the engine, where the black plastic part meets the engine (this is the cam chain cover).  Has this been replaced before?  It can be easy to mess this up, the chain and the tensioner should be changed at the same time, the problem can recur if you do one and not the other.  Also, it is essential to use the latest revised parts because the ones fitted between 2010 and 2011 are obviously s***.  Also, the seal holds oil and can fail if not installed correctly.

I think I am going to start a new thread to keep track of these cam chain issues.  Yus, take a look at my post here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/344005-12tsi-cam-chain-problem/page-2#entry4234376 and go to your dealer.  Do not accept anything less than 35% Skoda contribution towards the bill.  It should be possible to get more and I think you should aim to get them to pay for it.  I want to start to raise this as a wider issue to Skoda UK when I get some time.  When I had my car at my local dealer there was another poor guy there with the same problem.

Looking forward to hearing about what goes down, let us know here.

Ooops, I didn't pay attention to the video, and, definitely YES, that's the noise of a defective cam chain tensioner. I agree completely with Hussein, go and have the car serviced as soon as possible, to avoid further damage. Remember:

- check they are going to install the latest kit from Skoda (in Italy is V 03F 198 158 B, I do not know about UK, it could be different);

- check they are going to replace all relevant parts (chain, tensioner, etc.);

- if you've had the car regularly serviced, ask for a good contribution...everybody at VAG knows about it!

I had my car in today for a similar noise and they fixed it it in 5 minutes for no cost. They said the fuel supply pipe had come out of its clip and was rattling loose against the clip. They pushed it back into the clip and it was sorted.

Thanks for all the replies so far

Took my car in to the main dealer to see if they could identify the issue

The guy had a listen and opened the bonnet to move around the fuel pipes, the vibrations heard from the cabin then stopped so thankfully it seems as though it was just the fuel pipes causing the issue

The noise has started again I think but I'll have a play with the fuel pipes as they may have moved back to where they were. There is foam in the enclosure and clips holding the fuel pipes

The engineer did notice the gunk on the left of the engine and said that someone's been into there. Need to find out what could have been done and if I can identify it as I have no history for the car

Edited by yus786

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, got a bit of a rattle coming from my engine so thought I'd post it up here to see if anyone knew what it could be. Took my car for a service the other day at the main dealer and asked them to have a listen but they didn't bother I don't think.

Can only really hear it at idle, doesn't seem to matter if the engine is hot or cold. When I rev the car or move off from standstill it goes away but sometimes can be heard when creeping forward.

Is it the infamous cam belt thing? Not clued up about cars so please bare that in mind when replying!

Thanks in advance

Hi guys. Anyone know what the higher pitched whine is this clip? It comes and goes on my 1.2 TSI 105PS. Is it injectors or something? I also get a dull knocking noise when starting from cold which goes after it warmed up or greatly reduced. The knocking get worse when engine under load when pulling away and quite loud in the cabin, not sure outside. Also a repetitive swooshing type noise as well. I recorded that today will try to post up. Didn't manage to capture the knocking though. I read it could be the pistons knocking on these engines? I've never had a car do this before. Cheers Edited by Gonzini

Ref the knocking sound and without of course hearing it...probably piston knock from these lightweight low friction pistons. It's fairly common on a cold morning, but less so in the summer months when the weather is warmer. Nothing to be concerned about unless it's very very noisy. Make sure to use the recommended engine oil, not a thicker than standard version. A thicker less viscous oil rapidly hastens piston wear during start up and initial running. Your cam chain does sound noisy. There is a kit that includes the bottom crankshaft sprocket, as well as the tensioner and chain. That fixes it. Check with Skoda to see if yours has had any mods to the cam chain. It must have the latest mod to fix it. They originally just replaced the chains and sprockets with original versions. They failed too. So you must ask for the latest replacement kit with the crank sprocket which is different to the original and works. 

Edited by Estate Man