Possible premature end to our Yeti ownership

Just noticed the topic and was about to post that I had a similar prang (middle of a sandwich as well) and the car was repaired.

Never felt quite the same though (mental thing I think as there didn't seem any physical problems) so ended up changing it for the current one.

Pleased to see your Yeti is repairable, even more interested to hear the garage restored your Smart Roadster. We have a Roadie Light, I purchased back in 2005, love it to bits but it's starting to look a little sad and is a bit of a handful to keep in a straight line these days. Was it a complete restore or just body work?

If you go on to sell it privately would you have to declare the damage repair?

No if the car isnt written off and is fixed as part of an insurance approved repair you dont have to declare any damage and nothing goes on record.

We had an 08 Polo which had a nasty rear end shunt at 2 weeks /250 miles old and got repaired...badly first time round so nearly 9 months off the road but we sold it on and there were no markers on the vehicle record.

Edited by pipsyp

Don't HPI checks pick this sort of thing up?  To be honest that's the only reason why I've ever had them done in the past!

Pleased to see your Yeti is repairable, even more interested to hear the garage restored your Smart Roadster. We have a Roadie Light, I purchased back in 2005, love it to bits but it's starting to look a little sad and is a bit of a handful to keep in a straight line these days. Was it a complete restore or just body work?

I'll drop you a PM so as not to take this thread off topic!

Don't HPI checks pick this sort of thing up?  To be honest that's the only reason why I've ever had them done in the past!

Nope. HPI searches are just for outstanding finance, stolen markers and any declared write offs. If it's reapired then it's not written off and therefore there is no record for HPI to find.

This is why, despite all these services, you should always check shut lines, weld lines and for overspray on any used car purchase. 

Without wishing to be a misery...

it may be worth noting that any panels that have been repaired/replaced (including adjacent undamaged panels where the paint has been blended in) will no longer be covered by the Skoda paintwork/anti corrosion warranties (3 and 10-12 years), but will instead be be covered by whatever warranty the repairing body shop allows (typically 3 years)

I had this very problem when a rust issue recurred on my Octavia tailgate only to discover that the warranty repair by Skoda invalidated the remainder of the Skoda warranty, and another where rust on the leading edges of the rear doors wouldn't be repaired as the back edge of the doors had been blended when there was damage to the rear quarter.

This might be worth discussing to ensure that the repairs really do put the car back to what it was before the accident.

• Like 1

Bit late for that seeing as I will be collecting the car today!

They have fitted all genuine skoda parts so rust will not be an issue anyway and there was no paintwork done to any of the doors so the zinc-inclusions issue should not be affected (this being the only place the Yeti seems to suffer paint issues anyway).

Onwards and upwards, you deserve this rusult after the accident,hope you both recovered,ps what was going to be you next car if the yeti was unrepairable.

Did you get the a/c regassed...

I think you're trying to be "clever" by that remark? Yes it was as it happens - as the condenser was destroyed in the accident.

So what point are you trying to make exactly?

Yeti side decals, bet I can guess who sold you those.

Tony

Got them from a guy in Portree, Skye... Do you know him?

Glad to see those roof bars are still holding up...! ;)

:-)

Spot on Tony - Marie - just checked my e-bay invoice from her!

Well well, how did you know I got them from her? I didn't quite understand why she was selling them - her car (in the ad photo anyway) had them fitted and judging by the photo it was taken at the Portree cattle market (I know Portree very well!).