Electrical issue + Screen wash pump

Howdy,

A friend of mine who runs a Skoda Fabia (mk1) 1.4 2002 has some really odd issues with his car. Firstly the electric windows swap, like the left control will lower the right window and then the right control will lower the left..and sometimes it swaps. I have no idea whats causing this. 

Secondly out of the blue the screen jets for the front and back have stopped working, headlights are fine, windscreen wipers are fine but just nothing out of the jets, no noise coming from the pump either. Was thinking possibly a fuse? or just a faulty pump. 

Any advice?

Window switches swapping is a known fault, as to what causes it, no idea. Sounds like either a fuse or the pump. If you have checked the fuse and still no joy, check for voltage at the connector to the pump. If you have 12v the pump is knackered.

Cheers guys, will take a look at the fuse when i get a chance, any other fuses that i can swap it with to definitely make sure that it is the fuse before i order a new one?

With regards to the windows, hopefully someone knows as I'm clueless :L

Ordering up a new fuse? I always make sure that I have some spare fuses available for this sort of issue, but then maybe I am waiting for a problem to happen!

For as long as cars are fitted with filament lamps, a spare bulb kit, for me, is an essential part of the car, and these kits include a selection of fuses, which you can add to to make them suitable for that car.

Edited by rum4mo

Suits me, i'll take a look at his car when I have the chance.

Fuses aren't actually i even though of ordering spares of actually, I have had so much work done on my car now if it breaks *touch wood* i'd cry..as would my bank. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Fuse is fine, apparently a garage said it needs a new pump, picking it up tomorrow. Am i right in saying this is a wheel off job? and then a simple switch? (I have the manual at home so will be following that)

Put the steering on full right lock or remove N/S/F wheel.

Undo the appropriate Torx screws on the front of the wheel arch liner and undertray and bend the liner back to access pump. You can wedge the liner with a bit of wood or suchlike.

Pull off the two pipes from pump and drain the fluid into a container if necessary.

Disconnect the electrical plug from pump by pulling up the tab on the plug with your nail and pulling plug upwards.

Pull pump upwards out of rubber seal in washer reservoir.

Reverse process to fit new pump, fill reservoir and enjoy squirty squirty :D

Note: You might want to use two small cable ties round the pipe connections on the pump to help prevent them popping off, as they are inclined to do.

Thank you! Will be giving it a go today if the weather decides to perk up. Out of curiosity, what can cause it to go? He has an old 2002 but saw no signs of it fading away, simply stopped working one day :(

Out of curiosity, what can cause it to go?

They just sometimes do. I've seen them where water has got into the inside of the motor.