Have you ever...?

Reading the bottle of my autoglym stuff the other day, it got me thinking about any harm to come from the products.

The shampoo for example says avoid contact with skin, but really it can't be avoided. The alloy wheel cleaner stinks and must be harmful if left on your skin. I mentions in a different thread how I get headaches from the glass cleaner but no one els does :D

I don't think I clean my car often enough to notice anything, but you detailers that work with things all day everyday, have you ever had any harm from anything?

Good to hear I suppose, like I say, I don't think I use them enough to notice, but I have had gloves on once, but just normal ones, they just fill with water and probably make things worse.

That's the sort of stuff I expected to hear!

I've had a mild acid cleaner in my eye before.

It was used to strip engines of grease and dirt etc before skimming the heads.

The stuff comes in a 20L bottle and is applied by the small spray bottles. I was beside a guy who was pouring the stuff into a spray bottle. When he put the nozzle on it overflowed so he used a rag to wipe around it. When I was beside him he caught the trigger. The stuff hurts like hell if you get it in your hands, makes your skin go very soft and if you have any cuts or Injurys on your hands it'll make them bleed and sting like a good'un!

Yeah I use proper detailing gloves, they don't cost too much and for things like purple rain or any other iron x type product I think they are a necessity.

I don't bother with gloves.  I've had 99.9% pure methanol on my skin before.  Tingles :D  Never any real damage though, and when car detailing, I definitely prefer hands on feel and couldn't do with in gloves.

Everyone reacts differently to these chemicals. And dermititis is a bugger. You play with feathers, you get your bottom tickled. Up to you though.

• Like 2

Other than when actually washing the car with a mitt I wear disposable nitrile gloves. I work in engineering and have enough trouble staying clean and dermatitis clear so its gloves all the time for me. Saves on dry cracked skin too. I'd also recommend some hand cream for after using the car shampoo.

Might sound a bit un-manly but I can tell you its worth looking after your hands... Plus you don't want dry manky skin scratching your beautifully polished paint work!

Edited by V6Jules
  • Like 3

I think perhaps because I wasn't a molly coddled kid I have adapted and shirk off what might affect other people.  I like getting hands dirty, especially when spannering :D

• Like 1

I think perhaps because I wasn't a molly coddled kid I have adapted and shirk off what might affect other people.  I like getting hands dirty, especially when spannering :D

Same here I've never really had a problem I work with dirty nasty stuff but we do use nitrile gloves only because it saves getting oil and grease all over the place, never get ill either and only ever had a polio/tetanus jab.

I agree with v6jules though because different people react differently to almost everything.

Other than when actually washing the car with a mitt I wear disposable nitrile gloves. I work in engineering and have enough trouble staying clean and dermatitis clear so its gloves all the time for me. Saves on dry cracked skin too. I'd also recommend some hand cream for after using the car shampoo.

Might sound a bit un-manly but I can tell you its worth looking after your hands... Plus you don't want dry manky skin scratching your beautifully polished paint work!

Same here buddy. A few of the lads have had dermititis at work after years of it not affecting them. And it keeps coming back.

I wasn't a molly coddled kid either. But try to exercise some common sense when handling these types of chemicals. Each to their own though.

• Like 1

I wasn't molly coddled kid either and I rarely used to wear gloves and got covered in oil, grease, general car snot then at work cutting fluids, coolants, inks and varnishes and cleaning solvents and now I get very dry hands if I'm not careful.

A lot if chemicals can cause sensitisation and once you have dermatitis you are stuck with it(I think) as long as you still expose yourself to the trigger substances.

• Like 2

So from what people are saying, just gloves are to be used if possible?

I have plenty of black nitrile gloves in a dispenser on my toolbox so can use them when applying things.

Thinking more into it, you would need a whole range of protective gear to "be safe" then.

Like has been pointed out, safety glasses used for any sprays or splashes, a mask needed for smells? A face mask for again splashes and the wind blowing products into you from spray bottles.

It's one of them things i suppose....

To be honest, I got my answer from the first post when Chris said he's never had anything and uses them regularly. Jason just backed it up for me.

• Like 1

So from what people are saying, just gloves are to be used if possible?

I have plenty of black nitrile gloves in a dispenser on my toolbox so can use them when applying things.

Thinking more into it, you would need a whole range of protective gear to "be safe" then.

Like has been pointed out, safety glasses used for any sprays or splashes, a mask needed for smells? A face mask for again splashes and the wind blowing products into you from spray bottles.

It's one of them things i suppose....

To be honest, I got my answer from the first post when Chris said he's never had anything and uses them regularly. Jason just backed it up for me.

Its always safer to wear them...But I never do...Everyone to their own

There will always be alternate opinions on any issue