Dpf regen Question

hi all,

I have a quick question regarding DPF regens.

I've read the pinned topic above about the burning smell and the fan staying on if you interrupt a regen cycle. This happened to me for the first time last night as I parked up.

I think I can identify when the regen cycle is running as the start stop system doesn't work and the screen says 'engine must be running', there is also increased idle speed and a slight burning smell. The oil temperature also jumps up to high 90's-100+. Are my thoughts right that these are all signs of a regen in progress?

If so my query is how to tell when the process is finished and its 'safe' to turn off the car?

Once the start stop becomes available again is it safe to assume that it is then finished? As at this point the idle speed is back to normal and the oil temp comes down.

I've never had a diesel with a DPF before and my dealer didn't mention anything about it at all. I only know what I've read on here.

Thanks guys.

Usually when I notice that the start stop isn't working I'll drive a few miles out of my way until it becomes available again. However last night I couldn't do that as I was pushed for time. I turned the car off and the fan kicked in so I knew I had interrupted a regen.

I've read lots of things about people having loads of problems but also people who only do low mileage like myself say they've never seen the DPF light and have had their cars for years.

I'm going to work on the theory that as long as start stop is working when I switch off then I'm not interrupting a regen and therefore there's less chance of me seeing the dreaded light.

If you park up and interrupt the regen it will start another regen next time you drive off. I usually take mine for a quick spin 60 or 70 in forth for a few miles.

Revs return to normal and no problems in a year

Yep that's what happened this morning I got back in after i finished work. After a few minutes when start stop would normally be available it said engine must be running and increased revs etc. I just took it for a blast up the motorway and went one junction further up than needed and came back on myself. By the time I got home idle was normal and start stop was available again so I assumed cycle was finished and safe to switch off.

You dont need to worry or even think about regens, just drive the car normally and it'll sort itself out.  If you interupt a regen it'll just do one next time the conditions are right.

You don't even need think about it.

This is the correct answer! Just don't think about it.

Driving round in high gears is only wasting your time & fuel.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies guys. Hearing from people who have driven these cars for significant periods of time has put my mind at rest. My journey to work is only 4 miles each way but my journeys on my days off are much longer so I need to just not worry about I guess.

I have the 1.6TDI with DSG7. A couple of times while running around in the city in low gears (places with 30 or 40kmph limit) with constant slowing down/speeding up, I have felt that the DSG seems to be reluctant to shift up in D mode (holds gears longer than normal, especially shifting from D1->D2->D3). I have read that an on-going regen can cause slight loss of power. Can the DSG's reluctance be put down to an on-going regen? Is this normal behaviour for the DSG?