Head work

I'm toying with putting an ABF into a 2.0 MPI using throttle bodies, it's more challenging because the ABF uses a dizzy and has no cam position sensor, but I'd junk the dizzy and use the MPI coil pack and take a modified signal from the crank sensor instead of worrying about the cam sensor. I'm 95% certain it's a goer since the blocks are basically the same.

Abf, That's more my area of expertise, you can retro fit a Hall effect switch in the dizzy but it's not strictly necessary unless you want to run sequential injection anyway, the drivers side engine mounting holes are all there but they are just not used on a golf because the engine is mounted differently, so they often rust up but are fine normally if you chase the threads out with a tap, externally there are a few minor differences in those engines, the abf has an external water pump which is driven by the aux belt, and it does stick out quite a long way in front of the engine. also the abf engine is significantly taller than the later 8v crossflow engines, but that may not be a problem if you run on throttle bodies because you do away with the long runner intake manifold arrangement. And put the bodies straight on the front..

Putting the mechanical bits in is easy, it will be interfacing the wiring to the car which you will stumble on in a fairly modern vehicle like a fabia.. Not impossible, but not easy.

Putting the mechanical bits in is easy, it will be interfacing the wiring to the car which you will stumble on in a fairly modern vehicle like a fabia.. Not impossible, but not easy.

Not worried about modifying the wiring loom, I'll use most of the sensors from the MPI anyway, I'll use a simple frequency divider to halve the output from the crank trigger and shove it into the ECU as cam position info to run the ignition.

Does the ABF have knock sensor bosses? I'll use Hayabusa throttle bodies (or equivalent), MAP and TPS, a wideband lambda and map out all the emissions guff.

A full tune on standard cams should see about 200bhp.

Lots of people run a standalone Engine management like Megasquirt or similar. Always wanted to do that myself but I never got round to it was also toying with the idea of double stacking head gaskets and running a turbo or an Eaton M45 supercharger. Lot's of possibility with the ABF.

Edit here's a good source of info keep an eye out for a guy called Toyotec and rubjohnny the wiring guru they really knows his stuff iirc http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?223163-Parts-list-for-Eaton-Supercharging-an-ABF

Lots of people run a standalone Engine management like Megasquirt or similar. Always wanted to do that myself but I never got round to it was also toying with the idea of double stacking head gaskets and running a turbo or an Eaton M45 supercharger. Lot's of possibility with the ABF.

Edit here's a good source of info keep an eye out for a guy called Toyotec and rubjohnny the wiring guru they really knows his stuff iirc http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?223163-Parts-list-for-Eaton-Supercharging-an-ABF

and that's big bucks I got a motech ecu on my vxr not worth it

and that's big bucks I got a motech ecu on my vxr not worth it

Not as expensive as you would think. Megasquirt was/is a open development platform similar in a way to the raspberry pi. http://www.megasquirtuk.co.uk/

But I guess car modifying can be an expensive hobby depends how far you want to go with,

• Like 1

joys of no canbus system

It's a Fabia, it has canbus, but if you're using the standard ECU instead of standalone then everything just works, and the 2.0 MPI already has all the toys since they're all full Elegance spec. plus they have VRS 288 brakes as standard so a 312 conversion is easy.

Unsurprisingly I've already thought about this very carefully, the Fabia won't even know what's under the bonnet, the ABF will be on fully mapped injection and ignition and with throttle bodies and standard cams it should pull cleanly to 6500 rpm in top gear.

I reckon £3500 (and about 200 hours) should see it done including the engine refresh.

I would question spending that sort of wedge on it, you might be able to get a crashed up ibiza for salvage quite cheap and go down the 20v route.

I hate turbos. really hate the 20v engine, hate ugly Ibizas and hate doing bodywork, other than that I have no objections to your suggestion.

I can buy a mint low mileage Fabia, decent ABF and fully upgrade the suspension, wheels and brakes plus do all the work on that budget and have absolutely no intention of ever selling the car once built so cost is really a moot point since I want to do it properly.

I do like the 16v abf idea, i reckon you are right, it could be run in standard efi form off the fabia ecu, theres no need to make a divider circuit for the ign, just use the hall effect switch in the dizzy, thats all the 8v engine has on the cam anyway its bolted on behind the cam pulley and its just a simple 4 blade wheel just like the abf has, i do know a man that could poke that abf map on there but it may need some adaptions, dont assume the tables in the eeprom are arranged the same, theres no sai system on the abf but thats no big deal. Easy to sort out.

It's a Fabia, it has canbus, but if you're using the standard ECU instead of standalone then everything just works, and the 2.0 MPI already has all the toys since they're all full Elegance spec. plus they have VRS 288 brakes as standard so a 312 conversion is easy.

Unsurprisingly I've already thought about this very carefully, the Fabia won't even know what's under the bonnet, the ABF will be on fully mapped injection and ignition and with throttle bodies and standard cams it should pull cleanly to 6500 rpm in top gear.

I reckon £3500 (and about 200 hours) should see it done including the engine refresh.

well it impossible to run an astra vxr engine in the corsa vxr due to the canbus system been tried many time I think theres 3 corsas in the uk with the astra engine in it 1 is thorny motorsports track car and it a sri, mine and rich's red 1 that got standalone wired up by nobile if the fabia got a canbus system it will be a problem

well it impossible to run an astra vxr engine in the corsa vxr due to the canbus system been tried many time I think theres 3 corsas in the uk with the astra engine in it 1 is thorny motorsports track car and it a sri, mine and rich's red 1 that got standalone wired up by nobile if the fabia got a canbus system it will be a problem

I'll take it under advisement Steve, the Fabias canbus won't have a clue that the engine's been changed.

If you can use the same ecu and have it mapped to suit the new engine. Then can't see it being a problem.

Exactly, I've just snagged a known good 130k ABF complete for £175 so it's begun, I'll start a new project thread once things are underway.

• Like 3

Exactly, I've just snagged a known good 130k ABF complete for £175 so it's begun, I'll start a new project thread once things are underway.

What gearbox you going to be using? I still have a O2a Gearbox stashed away as I ended up using the Mk2 one.

What gearbox you going to be using? I still have a O2a Gearbox stashed away as I ended up using the Mk2 one.

The standard 5-speed found in the 2.0 MPI, I may change it when I fit LSD, thanks for the offer though.

Lol I wasn't offering unless you want it ;)

Ok, I'm not sure what your post means then.

I'm not trying to build anything other than a rapid daily driver with all the creature comforts, I'll do as little work as necessary to accomplish that end and the car will be totally standard other than the go, turn and stop part. I may even keep the aircon although I barely ever use mine. Think Q car, a nice quiet exhaust with a sportscat and a standard airbox from an R32 or whatever fits best.