Waxing.

snapseller

I am a big fan of the auto glym range. Others will say some other products it totally depends on what you like.

For me the AG range is good value easy to use and is readily available :)

Best bet is to get to halfords and see what takes your fancy.

I washed polished and waxed mine the other day and well the rusults speak for them self in my progress thread :)

+1 for AG range,

tried cheaper ranges like simoniz etc and nowhere near the AG range results, you can go more expensive but at the end of the day it is all down to preference and budget (also how much time it takes to apply)

Hi

I assume you mean wax and not polish...two different product types + there are sealants

However' I'm not going to give you a recommendation because there are may different favourites

Firstly a couple of questions:

1. Do you have a budget? They range from a few quid to over £2000 !!!

2. How often do you wish to rewax? Some are more durable than others

Crucial questions when deciding what to buy

May I suggest that you read these guides:

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/choosing-paint-protection.html

Then have a look at their waxes and see what falls into your budget or takes your fancy

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/natural-carnauba-waxes.html

or here

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/cat_4.html

Any more questions..Please feel free to ask

• Like 2

I've found nothing better than Greased Lightning Showroom Shine - saw it some years ago on one of the TV shopping channels. It's supposed to be used to clean and polish the car without the use of water, but I use it after I've washed and dried the car - it gives me an excellent shine and is brilliant for removing tar spots etc.. Have tried everything else including carnauba wax but the Showroom Shine gives me the best finish and is so easy to use.

I was waiting for the last comment! Thanks for all the answers; I'll have browse around Halfords next time I am passing it. I am still not entirely  clear about the difference between polish & waxing - don't they do the same thing? (excepting the final comment of course)

@ snapseller

Polish contains a varying degree of abrasives to 'cut' away microns of paint to shine the surface

Light polishes are primarily used to remove contaminents and some contain fillers to mask fine scratches and lay down a small amount of protection (AutoGlym Super Resin Polish does this)

Other polishes are designed to work with polishing pads, primarily sponge or Microfibre, to cut away a layer of paint and remove fine scratches

Its usual to use a light polish afterwards to further enhance the paintwork with a light finishing pad...prior to waxing

Waxing, lays down a layer of wax that further enhances the shine and protects it against environmental damage, such as acid rain, UV light, road salt, water spotting in hard water areas.....etc....

It also makes the car a lot easier to clean and dry afterwards

Have a read of this:

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/what-does-polishing-do.html

@ snapseller

Polish contains a varying degree of abrasives to 'cut' away microns of paint to shine the surface

Light polishes are primarily used to remove contaminents and some contain fillers to mask fine scratches and lay down a small amount of protection (AutoGlym Super Resin Polish does this)

Other polishes are designed to work with polishing pads, primarily sponge or Microfibre, to cut away a layer of paint and remove fine scratches

Its usual to use a light polish afterwards to further enhance the paintwork with a light finishing pad...prior to waxing

Waxing, lays down a layer of wax that further enhances the shine and protects it against environmental damage, such as acid rain, UV light, road salt, water spotting in hard water areas.....etc....

It also makes the car a lot easier to clean and dry afterwards

Have a read of this:

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/what-does-polishing-do.html

That's a good article but unless I missed it there doesn't seem to be any reference to claying?

Fred

486bf62c00b0e4e44bafb72d519fd238.jpg

I love this stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought a bottle from Amazon on the strength of this post and used it for the first time yesterday. Quick wash and squegee and then went round each panel giving each one a couple of squirts and and rub over with a microfibre cloth. It's rained cats and dogs here this morning and the rain is 'balling' and standing in the biggest drops I've ever seen. I'm a convert :D

p.s. emoticons don't seem to work in quoted text??

Edited by longedge
  • Like 1

I normally use Meguirs clay but picked up one of these at the weekend http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/cleaning-body-repair/detailing-products/farecla-g3-body-prep-clay-mitt

Surprising quick to use and no chance of the clay slipping out your hand

Thanks, I did a little online research and these seem to be getting a lot of thumbs up, bought one today, just need to wait for the rain to go to try it out!!!

Thanks, I did a little online research and these seem to be getting a lot of thumbs up, bought one today, just need to wait for the rain to go to try it out!!!

As ChrisRs advised you can use soapy water as the lubricant or a Quick Detailing spray. Be sure to keep the area your working on wet as the clay mitt will drag otherwise.

• Like 1