PAS light on start up

I have read many posts on here regarding the PAS system but can't find one quite the same as my fault, hope someone can "steer" me in the right direction.

When I start my (52) Fabia estate tdi about 40% of the time the PAS light stays on and the steering is heavy at very low revs.

If I restart it usual goes off and all is fine, this has been going on for about 4years. I have had the car for 9 years.

My concern is teh new MOT rules that it might fail, my thoughts are poor earth wire somewhere, or the angle sensor but just guessing, the battery is old but seems okay.

Any help much appriciated 

The easiest and cheapest thing to do first is to get the battery tested, check the connections to it and check the earth wire and connection to the body of the car for any signs of corrosion.

Also with the engine off and ignition on do you see a red battery light on the dash?

Phil

Edited by Phil-E

Thank you chaps for your replies, had my battery tested by a couple of places.

National Tyres said.. Battery Test                                    Starter test                                  Charging test

volts   12.65v                                   volts  9.19 v                               volts  14.32

measures 430A  EN

rating        640A EN

Replace Battery                             Replace battery

McConechys Tyres said..  voltage   13.12v

starting capacity   35%

Battery unserviceable

Seems to start the car okay but I think a new battery will sort my PAS problem, soon find out.

Just over 9 volts while cranking isn't good!

Whether that sorts your PAS problem or not you need a new battery anyway.

Phil

I've got to do the same on mine, the battery nearly didn't make it through winter.

I cheated at Mot and presented it with the engine running, so the battery was well charged when the tester turned it off and back on for warning lights.

I've got to do the same on mine, the battery nearly didn't make it through winter.

I cheated at Mot and presented it with the engine running, so the battery was well charged when the tester turned it off and back on for warning lights.

I had no idea batteries were so expensive...

Strange as I've been getting a low voltage warning error intermittently while driving. I have recently replaced my rack (due to leaking seals) but I thought it would be down to the G250 sensor acting up. Now after reading a few posts I'm wondering if I've disturbed some thing on the battery fuse block (as accessing the fluid top up requires the unit out). The battery was replaced earlier this year and hasn't given me any issues until the new rack went in.