Running a VRS out of warranty

My mum has a '11 plate CAVE vrs with low miles on it (about 20k in 4 years), next year the extended warranty she purchased expires.

She really likes the car , apart from an ECU failure from new which took 18 months to sort its been trouble free , it does use oil but not excessively

She is worried about large potential bills outside of warranty though and therefore looking to replace it , my argument is that with such low mileage any big bill ie engine or dsg failure would likely receive goodwill from Skoda and even without goodwill no potential bill would exceed the likely depreciation that buying a new car would experience within 12 months of purchase

Whats the thoughts on this ?

• Like 2

20k in 4 years, with that kind of yearly mileage and if the car is running as it should, not using too much oil, juddery dsg, misfires or anything, I would keep it.

depreciation vs big bill, well, if the car should need a new engine or mechatronics unit etc, those service jobs would outcost the depreciation. But like you say, skoda would probably cut the cost in half or something similar of goodwill.

Depending on car model of course, I don't see mayor depreciation in a year with that kind of mileage either.

Edited by Laars
  • Like 1

my brothers keeping his out of warranty 2011 CAVE VRs, milage is up at 53k now, however he took out the skoda warranty for piece of mind once the factory warrbnaty expired.  He's done 36k in it in last 18 months and its never had an issue bar a snapped spring.  My CTHE 2013 VRS has also done nearly 20k in last 12 months without hiccup ( and i have treated her pretty ****ing mean with daily canings) without issue bar the DRL falling out.

It appears to be a lottery but despite all the horror stories there are still more cars running perfectly than not.  Still one of the best cars i have ever owned and will be hard to replace next year.

• Like 2

Has anyone found dealers who won't touch them, or offer very low valuations with their bad reputation?

dealers will use any excuse to undervalue your car. think its because most dealers are ......oh what was it my Nan used to call them? are that's it C**ts if you pardon my french.

They also seem to suffer with bi=polar disorder a lot, ie if you go in to buy a VRS from them and ask about engine problems they have never heard any with issues ever, but take that same car in the following week to trade it in and they suddenly have heard of major engine issues which is why they can't offer much trade in......... So yes agree with my old Nan's description of car dealers.

My mum has a '11 plate CAVE vrs with low miles on it (about 20k in 4 years), next year the extended warranty she purchased expires.

She really likes the car , apart from an ECU failure from new which took 18 months to sort its been trouble free , it does use oil but not excessively

She is worried about large potential bills outside of warranty though and therefore looking to replace it , my argument is that with such low mileage any big bill ie engine or dsg failure would likely receive goodwill from Skoda and even without goodwill no potential bill would exceed the likely depreciation that buying a new car would experience within 12 months of purchase

Whats the thoughts on this ?

My present conundrum - given my low annual mileage (approx. 4,000 - I did almost a quarter of my usual annual mileage going to Santa Pod and back) I'm leaning towards going for it - while I have the cash in the bank for a replacement I can't really justify it for something I use two / three days a week. Moreover I would really miss the vRS.
  • Like 3

I take it Brian that even WBAC are prepared to give you over £5,500 for your car which is around 1/3 more than it cost nearly 5 years ago.

& you will get more than that from a Dealer Trading in.

Pretty good really, and much the same as with most other cars,

only the Mk1 Fabia vRS seems to be a average cost vehicle that holds really good values now 8 years since they were stopped being built.

WBAC are offering £6k - WWAC more (with something to be knocked off, no doubt). Residual value has actually exceeded my expectation. My previous two cars (Lupo GTi and MKI vRS) fared better, but they both had above average (well above in respect of the Lupo) value retention. In terms of £s 'lost' over years of ownership I certainly can't complain.

• Like 1

Has anyone found dealers who won't touch them, or offer very low valuations with their bad reputation?

My experience was quite the opposite , I p/x'ed my 12 plate Cave for a new Octavia a couple of months back , the dealer offered me a couple of grand more than WBAC , granted my car was a low mileage and mint condition, the dealer put over £2k over the trade in price on the window and an extra years warranty and it was gone and registered by its new (over the moon) owner in two weeks. 

The dealer said that Fabia VRS's are extremely "good news" and dont hang around for long.

• Like 2

WBAC are offering £6k - WWAC more (with something to be knocked off, no doubt). Residual value has actually exceeded my expectation. My previous two cars (Lupo GTi and MKI vRS) fared better, but they both had above average (well above in respect of the Lupo) value retention. In terms of £s 'lost' over years of ownership I certainly can't complain.

Round our way wbac and wwac are handled by the same guy

From what I heard this week,the agent finds faults with your car and values less than the internet offer

He is then paid a percentage of the difference for his trouble

Round our way wbac and wwac are handled by the same guy

From what I heard this week,the agent finds faults with your car and values less than the internet offer

He is then paid a percentage of the difference for his trouble

Interesting. Glasgow south must be different agents as WBAC (Gorbals) and WWAC (Hillington) are about seven miles apart.