Fabia vRS Estate -Rolling Road Run

Do you have any scientific evidence or explanation to support this assertion?

Yes. My personal oil-log where I have been keeping track of oil usage with respect to conditions, kilometres driven etc over the last 4 years.

I'd say it rather speaks for itself, contrast to VW/Skoda's "scientific" analysis of this engine's (expected) behaviour where for example, lowering the max torque on standard cars would help with oil consumption, at the same time when Stage 2 tuned cars where running 350+ Nm of torque without using a drop, hmm...

• Like 1

Any tips on preparing for a run on one of these? I'm doing one tomorrow*, and I've never done one before. It's just a power test - a couple of runs up to close to redline - rather than an extended tuning session. I've had oil and plugs changed a couple of months back, and am intending to make sure the oil is topped up to full if necessary.

* Mostly for curiosity, but also because I once read a nasty rumour on a Seat forum (couldn't find the reference again) that someone's twin-charger had had the maximum torque lowered by ECU modification to cover up oil consumption issues....

No need for any prep mate. Enjoy your session and don't forget to let us know the results :-)

• Like 1

So, a funny result. As it was a group dyno day, I couldn't speak to the operator much, and of course, we ran into the traction control issue. That was solved by pulling a fuse, then he got her going, but it was done only in fourth gear. I couldn't ask for another "turn" by then, as the next contender was already on the throne.

The torque peaked at 237NM, which was a relief, but we only got up to 118kw. I'm hoping that deficit is down to the fourth gear run.

All in all, I had a good time - there was a BMW M3 there, as well as an M135 - and my car sounded OK, though not as good as the M3 naturally.

Sounds like if it had been done in fifth gear, which is where it's supposed to be run anyway, you would have seen stock figures in power and torque. I'm assuming the dyno guy probably thought the box was a DSG6, hence he went for fourth gear. That's the bad thing about group runs I guess, if the operator doesn't get it right, you don't have the time to repeat the run properly.

• Like 2

So, a funny result. As it was a group dyno day, I couldn't speak to the operator much, and of course, we ran into the traction control issue. That was solved by pulling a fuse, then he got her going, but it was done only in fourth gear. I couldn't ask for another "turn" by then, as the next contender was already on the throne.

The torque peaked at 237NM, which was a relief, but we only got up to 118kw. I'm hoping that deficit is down to the fourth gear run.

All in all, I had a good time - there was a BMW M3 there, as well as an M135 - and my car sounded OK, though not as good as the M3 naturally.

Sounds like if it had been done in fifth gear, which is where it's supposed to be run anyway, you would have seen stock figures in power and torque. I'm assuming the dyno guy probably thought the box was a DSG6, hence he went for fourth gear. That's the bad thing about group runs I guess, if the operator doesn't get it right, you don't have the time to repeat the run properly.

I was going to say... could be operator error and no understanding of DSG...... maybe he was using part throttle to avoid kickdown.

Now that I think about it, I reckon Newbie has nailed it. Most cars are autos here, and I'm sure the operator would have come across DSG's before, or at least other dual clutch autos. But he would have done at least four or five VAG cars before mine today, and all would have been either 6 speed DSG or 6 speed manuals, so fourth gear would have seemed the logical choice. I'm sure I saw 6600rpm at one stage, so I don't think he was stinting too much on the throttle application. :devil:

Edited by OzFabia

Not sure about the flywheel, but 160hp at the front wheels. It's a stock car power-wise, so hopefully it's at least 132kw (180hp) at the flywheel.

237NM is 175 lb/ft torque. Would that be a 10% loss as well???

Edited by OzFabia

^^^^

Exactly, and the Dynos are all fine, just an indication.

But the Car is strapped down and a fan is blowing cold air and you are trying to get a reading without tyres spinning with no traction 

and it is being done in 4th, or 5th.

The real beauty is you have a Twincharger and a 7 Speed DSG or 6 Speed in '6' and you really just need to know what happens 

as it goes through the gears and what it is producing maybe in 3rd when you have Super & Turbo, and then get through 

4th, 5th, 6th. & thats with people and weight in a car and traction on roads.

Something like the Real World.

Only under 200 bhp and 300Nm torque and yet that equates to being quite nippy.

If cars with the best & highest Dyno readings were the quickest on the asphelt there would be no need to put cars up against each other out of doors.

^^^^

Exactly, and the Dynos are all fine, just an indication.

But the Car is strapped down and a fan is blowing cold air and you are trying to get a reading without tyres spinning with no traction 

and it is being done in 4th, or 5th.

The real beauty is you have a Twincharger and a 7 Speed DSG or 6 Speed in '6' and you really just need to know what happens 

as it goes through the gears and what it is producing maybe in 3rd when you have Super & Turbo, and then get through 

4th, 5th, 6th. & thats with people and weight in a car and traction on roads.

Something like the Real World.

Only under 200 bhp and 300Nm torque and yet that equates to being quite nippy.

If cars with the best & highest Dyno readings were the quickest on the asphelt there would be no need to put cars up against each other out of doors.

+1 There's not a dyno as good as the asphalt... Time always speaks for itself!

Sure when you're about to remap or change something major it's nice to go some place and do a before and after run as this can give you and idea of the effect of that particular change, but as an absolute value that can be used against someone else's values it's not much good.

Better grab a 10Hz High-precision GPS receiver and do your own "dynoing" for free every time you feel like it.

By the way, those are a couple of measurements using XGPS160 receiver and RaceChrono. They give a much better idea of what the car can do on the road, especially the in-gear run:

post-76656-0-32062800-1447077362_thumb.jpg

post-76656-0-71259000-1447077366_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 9 months later...