Superb III - Electronic Hand Brake

• 8 months later...

Picking mine SE L hatch 1.4 manual in biz grey with 19 sirrius wheels tomorrow so obvs excited. this e brake is my only worry ;o) cannot get my head around it the superb user manual makes it even more messy for me. am puzzled as to what is auto hold and hill hold (which I have on my OCT3). Is there a simple way of explaining how this ebrake works please?

ta

J

Don't worry about it.... Just take my word for it. It's fantastic. Just forget the handbrake ever existed and you will be fine. It's that good....

Don't worry about it.... Just take my word for it. It's fantastic. Just forget the handbrake ever existed and you will be fine. It's that good....

funny you say that, my wife has it on her XC90 and i just cannot stand it ;o)  wont have a choice as off tomorrow.. 

Must be different to the Superb then. What's not to like ? How does it work on the 90 ?

it doesnt ;o) just baffles me everytime i try to move her car few feet... am sure I will get used to it.. staying positive here

After a few hours of test driving, the electronic handbrake was an issue exactly 0 times.

Auto hold is great.

seems we got the same engine, good choice i date to say ;o) how does this auto hold works then? am sure the dealer will explain that to me tomorrow but I am just old grump and probably wont want to listen to him... 

it doesnt ;o) just baffles me everytime i try to move her car few feet... am sure I will get used to it.. staying positive here

:-) Like I said. Dont worry about how it works it just does. Seamlessly.

• Like 1

seems we got the same engine, good choice i date to say ;o) how does this auto hold works then? am sure the dealer will explain that to me tomorrow but I am just old grump and probably wont want to listen to him... 

If auto hold is enabled, every time you come to a full stop, the brake engages and you can take your foot off the pedal and it will "hold it down".

To go just accelerate and you're off. This is with DSG.

The E brake and auto hold work so much better in my Superb than in my pi**hat CC , in that it was clunky and unresponsive , in the Superb it all just works and I dont even think about it ..  , iirc if I removed my seatbelt just before stopping in the CC the E brake didnt engage .. some entertaining braking ensued as I was getting out ...

Edited by Wagon

Until now I have been a fan of the E brake, but this weekend the handbrake on my 150 TDi Exec Estate started sticking.  Normally when I pull away from first start the handbrake automatically disengages, but I recently I haven't been able to pull away because it has stuck on.  The maxi-dot displays a warning, but it takes a few waggles of the switch to turn the handbrake off.  I use autohold, but this has also been disengaging when the handbrake is stuck (ie the light goes off on the switch).  Has anyone else experienced handbrake issues?

The E brake and auto hold work so much better in my Superb than in my pi**hat CC , in that it was clunky and unresponsive , in the Superb it all just works and I dont even think about it ..  , iirc if I removed my seatbelt just before stopping in the CC the E brake didnt engage .. some entertaining braking ensued as I was getting out ...

That's seems quite dangerous on the CC!

So the new Superb comes with the VAG Featured electronic handbrake.

Are you a fan or not?

http://www.auto.cz/skoda-superb-iii-combi-prvni-dojmy-ze-strahova-video-87558/foto?foto=3

Absolutely combined with autohold why would you not like it. I did have a 2006 Passat that just had the pushbutton handbrake and that wasn't so good it certainly failed once or twice at a junction with the car squatting when I tried to accelerate away, but coupled with autohold it works perfectly.

Until now I have been a fan of the E brake, but this weekend the handbrake on my 150 TDi Exec Estate started sticking. Normally when I pull away from first start the handbrake automatically disengages, but I recently I haven't been able to pull away because it has stuck on. The maxi-dot displays a warning, but it takes a few waggles of the switch to turn the handbrake off. I use autohold, but this has also been disengaging when the handbrake is stuck (ie the light goes off on the switch). Has anyone else experienced handbrake issues?

Do you think this could be a consequence of the driving rain we suffered at the weekend? Rusting brake disc sticking the pads on?

Meanwhile on a manual, my only gripe with the electronic handbrake/autohold is when you stop on a steep incline, say a multi storey car park ramp. As soon as you touch the accelerator, the brake releases so you have to be bang on revs (especially with petrol engine) and clutch biting point to avoid burning the clutch or rolling back. On my previous Insignia auto I use to use my left foot to hold the brake pedal in such situations, but don't have three feet to do that in the manual. Anyone got any tips for such situations?

Do you think this could be a consequence of the driving rain we suffered at the weekend? Rusting brake disc sticking the pads on?

Meanwhile on a manual, my only gripe with the electronic handbrake/autohold is when you stop on a steep incline, say a multi storey car park ramp. As soon as you touch the accelerator, the brake releases so you have to be bang on revs (especially with petrol engine) and clutch biting point to avoid burning the clutch or rolling back. On my previous Insignia auto I use to use my left foot to hold the brake pedal in such situations, but don't have three feet to do that in the manual. Anyone got any tips for such situations?

I promise I'm not being sarcastic, but don't drive up the ramp.

I also wondered if it was the rain (an issue if it is - I live on Bodmin Moor where it rains a lot :rain: ). The car had been parked for about 24hrs, so it is feasible that the brakes had stuck on.  I'm going to keep an eye on it.

I couldn't agree more.

Coming from an Insignia that required a very positive flick of the switch to turn the handbrake on and a very temperamental hill hold function, the S3's system is seamless.

That's seems quite dangerous on the CC!

It was a pain in the arris , had to have your seatbelt on for it to release as you pulled away as well , really didn't gel with that car

I don't see it being a problem to use once you get used to them but from a reliability point of view I think they are horrible inventions. This was one of the reasons I went for the Superb II instead of a Passat or A4/A6

I promise I'm not being sarcastic, but don't drive up the ramp.

I'm firmly in the stay at the bottom of he ramp until it's clear gang. Always did it when I drove manuals after I had a handbrake lever (remember them?) cable attachment stud snap off at a critical moment! Rapid standing on anchor pedal ensued!!