Oil drain plug loose - near miss!

dr_goal

Today, after my wife returned from the shops, moved the car from the driveway again shortly , and noticead a puddle of oil where it was standing. Went to inverstigate and noticead that the drain plug was wery loose aand just hanging on a thread or two! Rotating from just a gentle touch, well-oiled, obviously. With the oil slowly dripping! Checked oil level overall - not far off from the norm level. Screwed back and tightened the plug a bit, to stop the leak, but now is the question:

What  was that?? The car (2yo) has been in Skoda dealer just recently (5 weeks or so) for a 20k service. The oil was then changed. The mileage after that was probably just 00's of miless. Can I check somehow if they installed a washer there for the plug, can I see it? Can this be due to some underlying issue, apart from them not tightening it up properly? The oil seems quite dark to me, but many people seem to mention that it is a norm.

Any advice what shall I do now, or what I check? I will of course let Skoda know about this near-miss...

I guess few more miles driving and this thing would have fallen off and all the oil spoiling the Nature instantaneously... and good-bye the engine...

That was close. Check you plugs!

Goal

"The oil seems quite dark to me, but many people seem to mention that it is a norm."

On a Petrol not nessasarily. 

And as Urrell says, But alternatively, could be interrupted on undoing sump plug!!!

Was the oil actually changed?

Should not be so dark if it was almost zero miles ago...

I would take the car back, and ask them to change the oil & filter, at their cost, as a good will gesture at the very least.

A dealer (allegedly) forgot to tighten some propshaft bolts on mine, so I'd happily believe a routine job like an oil drain plug could be left loose.

I reported mine to Škoda UK who were very interested to hear about my experience. I wasn't after anything from them but thought they should know about it; they thanked me for the report and said it helps identify sloppy workshops if people report such issues.

A dealer (allegedly) forgot to tighten some propshaft bolts on mine, so I'd happily believe a routine job like an oil drain plug could be left loose.

I reported mine to Škoda UK who were very interested to hear about my experience. I wasn't after anything from them but thought they should know about it; they thanked me for the report and said it helps identify sloppy workshops if people report such issues.

Just to add- on the Invoice for the service they list Oil filter, obviously, and a "Screw". Is it what it is called, screw? Hardly a descriptive term... Will be visiting them later today, see what they say.

Just the usual lost in translation of the VW / Skoda part computer. 'Screw',  Lost in Translation like with 'factory trained technicians'.

'screw'

WN 908 132 2  

£1.89 each plus vat £2.27

Part No WN 908 132 2

http://www.germanautopartsdirect.co.uk/p1030/SUMP-PLUG/product_info.html

Happy end, went to dealers today, they appeared genuinely surprised, but the plug was tightened to correct torque, think they replaced it. Said they will have some internal investigation. Seems like case closed.

Thanks all for help and advice and support!

Now i will be watching for oil drops forever, another thing on my paranoia checklist.