1.2 dsg TSi or 1.4 dsgTDi ?

Hi New to Fabia forum. Have at present a Octavia 2.0 TDi Dsg and thinking downsizing to Fabia Mk3

and help in deciding would be appreciated. Especially with what engine to have

Hi Darnell,

I have the 1.4tdi DSG, and it is great.

Pulls really well, feels much faster than it is, I do use sport mode for steep hills as it sometimes starts to run out of steam, but this works really well.

Some think it is noisy, I personally don't, it actually sounds quite gruff almost sporty when pushed.

Economy is generally good, I have had 74.9mpg out of it, but usually get 60-66mpg on most trips. In heavy traffic this can drop to early 50's though.

Mine has done about 1600 miles, so economy should be a pretty good indicator now.

You will just have to weigh up the extra outlay versus the savings in Diesel and tax etc.

It will depend on your personal preference, annual mileage, trip types and how often you drive with a loaded up car.

If you do 10,000+ miles a year included some longer trip and/or regularly drive with a bit more weight in the car then the TDI might be better for you.

If you do a lot of short trips then go for the petrol.

Phil

Ive got a 3 cyl 80 hp mk2 tdi, "Greenline", meaning more environment friendly I suppose. Its very light as they saved on the most, unfortunately also on sound isolating material as it feels, but for shorter rides, city driving etc its a terrific and very peppy car. For longer tours the sound level is exhausting. That, of course, is a quite personal thing, but Im partly deaf :) - or at least isnt my hearing as good as it used to be, but I never use my hearing aids when driving. That car.

The new 110 hp Mk3 is a whispering wonder in comparison, at speeds below 120 kmh at least. Its not the motor making noises but wind and tires. Also not really that diesel torque, but fair.

Id recommend a test drive of both models. The tdi wasnt available for a test drive when I ordered, hopefully the sound isolation is better in the new mk3.

Thanks to all I don't do many miles a year and cost difference is no problem.

I was thinking of going to the 1.2 TSi but wanted to know if it is as powerful as the 1.4 TDi

as I have only been used to diesel motors.

Any help will be appreciated

It is as powerful yes. The way it delivers the power is different and will rev a bit more.

If you don't do many miles then a new DPF diesel might not be ideal.

The 1.2 TSI seems pretty frugal and from what I've read/heard pulls pretty strong and is a perfect match with DSG.

Phil

No problem darnell - glad I could help!

I've had many diesels in the past and love the way they drive.

Due to the fact I don't drive many miles these days DPF issues meant that I've gone for petrol.

The 12 TSi DSG combo is a great choice IMO

I think our next car will end up being a petrol.

DPF would probably give us grief due to most of our journeys being short.

We recently had a 1.4 Turbo Mokka with a 6 speed auto. I really liked how much torque the engine had for a little petrol.

Also had a ride in a colleagues Mini One 1.5 Turbo. Had a load of grunt low down and she was averaging over 50mpg.

Small petrol is where it's heading!

• Like 1

I think our next car will end up being a petrol.

DPF would probably give us grief due to most of our journeys being short.

We recently had a 1.4 Turbo Mokka with a 6 speed auto. I really liked how much torque the engine had for a little petrol.

Also had a ride in a colleagues Mini One 1.5 Turbo. Had a load of grunt low down and she was averaging over 50mpg.

Small petrol is where it's heading!

Yes it looks like  1.2 DSG ESTATE IS FOR ME mANY THANKS TO ALL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1.2 has plenty of torque! I have the 110 dsg and really feel that it's powerful enough.

Easy to get 50+mpg and have had 60 a couple of times.

Gearing is long enough but over 60 mph and the consumption does go up quite a lot.

I've not had any power issues however I haven't driven flat out in a while

• Like 1

The whole world is moving away from diesel. (Except the Northern Irish who are slow to catch on). Get a small turbo petrol. There is really no justification for diesel these days as they are horrible polluting things even with the DPF. And in future, DPFs are going to be a residual value killer along with the DM flywheels. Petrol is the way to go with cheaper long term running costs. Oh and don't believe any of that superior fuel rubbish either. Fill it up with the cheapest fuel you can find...

• Like 2

The whole world is moving away from diesel. (Except the Northern Irish who are slow to catch on). Get a small turbo petrol. There is really no justification for diesel these days as they are horrible polluting things even with the DPF. And in future, DPFs are going to be a residual value killer along with the DM flywheels. Petrol is the way to go with cheaper long term running costs. Oh and don't believe any of that superior fuel rubbish either. Fill it up with the cheapest fuel you can find...

+1

Though diesel may be a tad cheaper for a few years to come if you are at high yearly milages. Still is for certain, during the driving season.

But; petrol is the new diesel :)

• 2 weeks later...

I would agree. I've had the 1,2 TSI (both as 105 ps in a Yeti DSG and a Roomster DSG, and now the 110 PSI in a Fabia II HB 6 sp man) for several years, and I could not be happier. I think the diesel would only be relevant if you were pulling a lot of heavy stuff on trailer, but then you would not be looking at a Fabia anyway  :D

I have to admin that I have not driven the 1,6 CR Diesel, but I had the old 1.9 PD in our first Roomster, and compared to that I think the TSI is a much better engine. It has more or less the same low torque and driveability, and can still pack a punch if needed. And even with the car fully loaded (2 adults, 2 kids, camping gear, life wests etc) it is still cruising along nicely at 75 mph without breaking a sweat. 

• Like 1

Another vote for the 1.2 TSI from me,

I've had the CR engine before, the 1.6 TDi and whilst it was good the additional cost and the then higher fuel costs kind of made it pointless unless you do the extra mileage.

The TSI isn't a compromise, as another poster said small engines are the way forward, there is plenty of torque and it's hard to believe it's a small capacity engine most of the time.

• Like 1