Vrs mpg

Keep seeing on here how a Vrs gets great mpg but my diesel only returns 43 no matter how or where I drive it. Any ideas to improve it or am I expecting too much

• Like 1

Keep seeing on here how a Vrs gets great mpg but my diesel only returns 43 no matter how or where I drive it. Any ideas to improve it or am I expecting too much

what power you running? im getting around 38mpg

Got a k+n filter but rest standard and had over the weekend average 58 mpg, brim fill to shell just above half tank and 325 miles so far. Best mileage I've got was 585 miles then fuel light pinged. Brim fill tesco juice. That was to Scotland last year.

Had my old Fabia VRS 10 years now, and on average (not motorway, as none here in Cornwall) does 45mpg or 10 miles per litre approx..

That's going from tankful to tankful, filled to point of running fuel out onto courtyard floor and, not using the useless onboard mpg gizmo.

Bog standard still, fully serviced every year, including (all) filters.

• Like 1

Im in the same boat mate . Ive never seen over 44 average mpg . Had my car since February and ive put new brakes all round , full service including cambelt and water pump , geometry , new maf sensor , new cts and thermostat . The only thing I haven't done is boost pipes , but thats next on my list .

I get around 42-43mpg worked out real world tank to tank (trip shows 48mpg average over 2k miles since it was last reset, so that's a little off!). 

I do quite a lot of stop/start and short town runs during the week and on the weekends it gets a good warm up and blast when conditions allow, so I don't think it's too bad considering. On a steady motorway run I've seen mid 50s real world (trip was showing 60+ from memory which isn't very believable unless your going down hill with the wind behind you lol.)

I think people who expect these to give 55-60+ (real world not trip) on a daily basis are a bit naive! To get that you'd have to drive like old grandma time I think. Doable but very boring! The book combined figure for these is 53mpg iirc. Which is achieved in a lab not on the road!

There are things you can do to try and improve it:

• Keep it well serviced e.g. oil, filters and some forte diesel treatment could help restore mpg if it's been lost due to dirty injectors (it's worth a try!).
  • Keep the tyre pressures right, slightly above book figures can help. Under inflated will cause drag and seriously effect mpg. 
  • Check the brakes aren't binding and the callipers move freely.
  • Check the tracking is ok. 
  • Check the cam timing using vcds(Think it's called torsion value? - There is a range it should fall within and it is very easy to knock out when the cam belt is changed. It only takes movement the width of a £10 note to knock it out enough to result in poor starting/performance/mpg. 
  • Leaky boost hoses (though if they were bad you'd notice a lot of smoke out of the back under hard acceleration) 
  • Clean the EGR valve and inlet manifold to help improve airflow into the engine (I was gob smacked how much gunk came out of mine when I did it!)

Mine isnt vrs but the 100hp

Its been remapped too 144 with half fuel half power and still returns better mpg than it ever did.

I drive aroads and m/ways every day 5days a week geting 63.ive not been on a real long journey to test but would say id get more than that

Serviced regular too.

Tyre pressure always checked fortnightly etc

Your vrs should return easily 50+no probs

What sort of driving are you doing? When did you last change your coolant and thermostat?

Block 1/2 of the grill with correx. You'll get faster warmup and better aero. And the cooling system is more than adequate to compensate.

• 4 months later...

I'm at 600 miles so far and the light hasn't come on yet. That's a vented fill up and all rural twisty hilly roads with no motorway in sight. Trip tends to display 73-84mpg on my 25 mile commute through 4 towns and lowest on one fateful day was 50mpg. Real world brim to brim tank average for this first time will be around 65 to 68mpg trip 2 was reset at time of filling up and is currently floating around 70.2 - 70.8mpg.

My last stage 1 06 vRS BLT owned from 2 years and 20k miles was almost bang on with the trip computer never being far out from real world mpg. This one seems to be pretty similar. This one is totally stock still with 76k miles.

I strongly repute anyone who thinks you have to drive like a 'granny' to get reasonable mpg. I get to the speed limit with full use of the vRS''s power and then plan ahead and use/carry momentum and not throw away fuel braking and accelerating pointlessly like a knob. Drivers in front of me driving slower tend to be the biggest crippling factor in loss of mpg having to adjust speed for their utter failure in car control.

My light came on this tank with only 320 miles covered. 100% city driving, lots of hills although very little time spent in traffic.

My car seems to love A roads and motorway driving and will see 60mpg, but around the city of Bristol it's shocking. Trip computer is currently showing at 35mpg, so likely to be about 30/31 when properly calculated when I next full up.

I don't hoon it around either :(

• Like 1

My light came on this tank with only 320 miles covered. 100% city driving, lots of hills although very little time spent in traffic.

My car seems to love A roads and motorway driving and will see 60mpg, but around the city of Bristol it's shocking. Trip computer is currently showing at 35mpg, so likely to be about 30/31 when properly calculated when I next full up.

I don't hoon it around either :(

Aye pure urban eats fuel like nothing else! I'd say only about 15% -20% of the time I am sat in stop start traffic. Big pain I have is 25 mile commute on a cold engine then same 9 hours later to get back. No long runs as of yet :(

I'm at 600 miles so far and the light hasn't come on yet. That's a vented fill up and all rural twisty hilly roads with no motorway in sight. Trip tends to display 73-84mpg on my 25 mile commute through 4 towns and lowest on one fateful day was 50mpg. Real world brim to brim tank average for this first time will be around 65 to 68mpg trip 2 was reset at time of filling up and is currently floating around 70.2 - 70.8mpg.

My last stage 1 06 vRS BLT owned from 2 years and 20k miles was almost bang on with the trip computer never being far out from real world mpg. This one seems to be pretty similar. This one is totally stock still with 76k miles.

Even Skoda admit the BLT engined cars are 15% out on fuel consumption. The ECU has an error in the routine that calculates the MPG and they all over-read. If yours doesn't then.... Well, it's a miracle!

• Like 1

Even Skoda admit the BLT engined cars are 15% out on fuel consumption. The ECU has an error in the routine that calculates the MPG and they all over-read. If yours doesn't then.... Well, it's a miracle!

Not really since the value has always been able to be changed on VCDS to bring it closer to real world and I haven't owned the car from new. This is how my first one was sorted when getting remapped. Current one isn't as close though, as said above may be out by around 10%.  

Not really since the value has always been able to be changed on VCDS to bring it closer to real world and I haven't owned the car from new. This is how my first one was sorted when getting remapped. Current one isn't as close though, as said above may be out by around 10%.

It's not possible to change it on a Fabia as far as I'm aware. Newer VAG cars, certainly, but not the Fabia Mk I. If you know the relevant location then please share because there are LOTS of BLT owners who want to true their stupidly optimistic mpg displays.

I practically begged Ben at Shark to remap it so it read true but it's not a remappable routine in the ECU unfortunately.