Should I or shouldn't I?

Ok, I suppose I am going to get flamed for this but I'm going to give it a go anyway. I guess I might get rather biased responses, I have a dilemma, a good one I admit,,....

So my company car lease is up for renewal and I currently drive a Supber 2, 140bhp diesel Elegance plus Columbus satnav and a couple of minor extras.

I've been considering a number of other vehicles in what you might call the compact executive class, BMW 3 series, Merc c-class, Jag XE. The latter of these for me seems like a serious contender and I've test driven it :)

Cost-wise there is little in it over the contract period, between a superb l&k and a jag xe portfolio. The jag will be a bit better tax wise and possibly mpg, but it's a more expensive car to start with, so things balance out,

I don't need such a large car any more although I'm used to it, but I like my creature comforts and bang for buck skoda has spoiled me with the superb and an Octavia l&k before that.

Part of me Is really close to thinking....but it's a Jag, it's as British as I could probably get, I fancy a change, go for it. But at the back of my mind there is a little nagging doubt, that a new superb is the sensible option

So given this choice, why might you choose a new Superb? Or wouldn't you?

Edited by madfiddler

Amazingly ive given myself a similar choice if i decide to one day get rid of the Octy.

Superb Mk3, or XE.

Well for me the Superb failed because of its looks, and the specs. Nothing fitted just right, and id prefer not to go adding extras (anyway I could possibly go 2nd hand).

The XE on the other hand. It looks super (sorry Skoda, but Scotland have one up on Czech Republic when it comes to car design), and the Prestige spec fitted spot on.

Anyway the XE wins hands down. Sorry, hands and feet and head down. There just isnt a competition.

I havent driven the XE, but if its anything like the current XF, then it beats most things out there. Skoda just arent in the same league, not by a country mile.

Yes the L&K may provide more toys, but from what i can tell, most of them are gimmicks. A tv tuner? Oooooh just what i want in the car. Not.

Jags are very well specced even at basic trim, and the Portfolio you mention has a fantastic spec. OK perhaps one or two less gimmicks than the Superb, but everything else makes up for it.

You say you dont need a large car anymore. So, weigh it up and see what really is the sensible option.

Cost- You reckon about equal overall.

Most comfortable drive- Id hazard a guess the XE will kill off any Skoda in this respect. I like large cars for this reason, but if you are going into the executive type car, then you dont need such a large car for this respect.

Nicest interior- Jaaaaaag

Build quality- Again id take a guess at the Jaaaaaaag

So, when it comes to the head the Jaaaag wins. As for theheart, well i suspect thats the same answer.

Dont get me wrong, Skodas are brilliant, and there is very little id choose over them, but they dont come close to a Jag, So, if you can get the costs to come out about equal, you really dont have a choice. It has to be the Jag.

Hiya :) 

I had this choice last time around - and picked the more obvious "premium" brand. 

What i've discovered is that I really miss the friendly response the Superb gets everywhere it goes. Its almost ruined the 325 for me! I guess you can't really get away from how a car makes you feel, and whilst there are very few cars around that make you feel special anymore - I do enjoy feeling like I made a secret choice or put the smart money in. 

What do you gain over the Jag? A bunch of driver assist systems, cheaper options (hopefully!), a little exclusivity, potentially better service (see JD Power!), and if you value comfort - DCC.

If it was my money - I'd pick the Superb, get it in the best colour (personal preference), pan roof, 19's and have something really rare and fully loaded! Its the choice I'm about to make. If they EVER release the option pricing :) 

Thanks everyone.

We'll if anyone wants to know anything about options the on the superb, LeaseDrive loaded it to their system yesterday so I can check. As far as I know it's all RRP, they do t look for deals until you decide to order.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

We'll if anyone wants to know anything about options the on the superb, LeaseDrive loaded it to their system yesterday so I can check. As far as I know it's all RRP, they do t look for deals until you decide to order.

Awesomeness, any chance of cut and paste from the L&K page? :) 

L&k 150bhp manual, p11d value is showing as

£28685

Candy White is the zero price colour, all others are £360, interesting the same colours cost more on a lower trim car

Zero cost leather options are unfortunately (this puts me off a bit) beige and brown.

I don't know about the legalities of sharing at this stage and as all these are loaded up I am surprised they are not now all In the UK configurator or with dealers. If there is a specific item you are considering PM me :)

No choice for me as I need an Estate for various reasons.

If I was looking at the saloon though then XE would be in my list with the Superb III. However, if I spec up an XE PORTFOLIO 2.0 i4 240PS Petrol (Automatic) to have similar options to the Superb L&K 2.0 TSI 280PS 4x4 DSG the Superb is over 10K cheaper. Makes a difference to me as I will be buying the car, not on a lease or company scheme.

No choice for me as I need an Estate for various reasons.

If I was looking at the saloon though then XE would be in my list with the Superb III. However, if I spec up an XE PORTFOLIO 2.0 i4 240PS Petrol (Automatic) to have similar options to the Superb L&K 2.0 TSI 280PS 4x4 DSG the Superb is over 10K cheaper. Makes a difference to me as I will be buying the car, not on a lease or company scheme.

i'm the same, need an estate.

Unfortunately the XE isn't in our company car list and the numbers don't stack up for me to take a car allowance. My choice will come down to BMW 3s, Passat or Superb

L&k 150bhp manual, p11d value is showing as

£28685

Candy White is the zero price colour, all others are £360, interesting the same colours cost more on a lower trim car

Zero cost leather options are unfortunately (this puts me off a bit) beige and brown.

I don't know about the legalities of sharing at this stage and as all these are loaded up I am surprised they are not now all In the UK configurator or with dealers. If there is a specific item you are considering PM me :)

Thanks for that. Has the Estate been loaded yet - be keen to understand P11d on an SE-L 150 DSG with a few options.

I'll drop a PM if that's OK.

I wouldnt touch the Superb just yet , I like a new model to run for a couple of years before I take the plunge, let all the bugs get worked out .

I'd go for the Jag as well

• Like 1

I wouldnt touch the Superb just yet , I like a new model to run for a couple of years before I take the plunge, let all the bugs get worked out .

I'd go for the Jag as well

The XE is new as well - could easily be in the same situation?

What do you gain over the Jag? A bunch of driver assist systems, cheaper options (hopefully!), a little exclusivity, potentially better service (see JD Power!), and if you value comfort - DCC.

A bunch of driver assist systems? I'll list what i can csee on the Jag, and then work out what really worthwhile systems it misses compared to Superb.

Torque vectoring by braking

Hill start assist

Brake pad wear indicator

Lane departure warning

Front assist

Emergency brake assist

Rear parking aid

Traffic sign recognition

Tyre pressure monitoring

Keyless start (obviously)

Approach Illumination

Auto dimming rear view mirror

Rain sensing wipers and auto headlights

Bi Xenon headlights

The main things i can see you missing out on, are ACC, powerfold mirrors (if you want them) and possibly a rear view camera.

Could i live without them? Definitely.

Oh, not sure about your exclusivity. Loads of Skodas on the roads now. Less than there are Jags. So id say the exclusivity is with the Jag.

Edited by JungleJames

@jungleJames.....ACC is available only on autos (makes sense) and for Jag its a £1500 option. I was looking at a manual, although the autos also have the assisted start facility (for snow and ice conditions). Power-fold mirrors and rear view camera (parking pack) are options on all models, as are blind spot indicators - all of which I added to the standard XE Portfolio before comparing with the Superb L&K. the self-parking gizmos and 360 degree cameras are all extras too, also in the £1000 range but they aren't things I would be looking for anyway.

as a fully maintained lease and it being a new car under warranty I can live with some hiccups and I have my own company and the lease company working for me if that's necessary. reliability on Jags is great as is skoda. So on this front I'm not worried about either being new model cars.

@Coops - no probs, but no Estates or Greenline are on the system yet. I understand Estates will be about a month behind the hatch

• Like 1

@jungleJames.....ACC is available only on autos (makes sense) and for Jag its a £1500 option. I was looking at a manual, although the autos also have the assisted start facility (for snow and ice conditions). Power-fold mirrors and rear view camera (parking pack) are options on all models, as are blind spot indicators - all of which I added to the standard XE Portfolio before comparing with the Superb L&K. the self-parking gizmos and 360 degree cameras are all extras too, also in the £1000 range but they aren't things I would be looking for anyway.

Oh i know all of these are options on the Jag.

I was purely pointing out to someone else that you dont lose many 'gizmos' on the Jag.

Just checked as well, the XE has electrically adjustable, and heated, front seats.

The difference in numbers of gizmos between Skoda and Jag isn't that great at all.

Edited by JungleJames

A bunch of driver assist systems? I'll list what i can csee on the Jag, and then work out what really worthwhile systems it misses compared to Superb.

Torque vectoring by braking

Hill start assist

Brake pad wear indicator

Lane departure warning

Front assist

Emergency brake assist

Rear parking aid

Traffic sign recognition

Tyre pressure monitoring

Keyless start (obviously)

Approach Illumination

Auto dimming rear view mirror

Rain sensing wipers and auto headlights

Bi Xenon headlights

The main things i can see you missing out on, are ACC, powerfold mirrors (if you want them) and possibly a rear view camera.

Could i live without them? Definitely.

Oh, not sure about your exclusivity. Loads of Skodas on the roads now. Less than there are Jags. So id say the exclusivity is with the Jag.

Hiya,

I was answering the OP here (briefly confused that you were the OP!?!).

You miss, Adaptive Chassis, Traffic Jam Assist, Lane Assist, Cornering Headlights, 3 zone climate, heated windscreen, 10GB hard drive, Apple Carplay and automatic boot & I'll do you a deal, I'll give you a quid for every Superb you see tomorrow more than an XF/XE.

Not keen on a protracted debate or being trolled here. Was trying to help the OP with my opinon. 

Edited by JamesKlement

Hiya,

You miss, Adaptive Chassis, Traffic Jam Assist, Lane Assist, Cornering Headlights, 3 zone climate, heated windscreen, 10GB hard drive, Apple Carplay and automatic boot & I'll do you a deal, I'll give you a quid for every Superb you see tomorrow more than an XF/XE.

Not keen on a protracted debate or being trolled here. Was trying to help the OP with my opinon. 

sorry matey I am now confused as to what you were confused about! :)

not sure about the trolling comment everything seems good in this thread to me and all the opinions are actually helping me, I don't expect everyone to have the same opinions and neither does anyone else.

all the things you mentioned there on the superb aren't necessarily standard even on the L&K I think - bear in mind I am looking at manual transmission. But other than the traffic jam thingymabob and 10GB HDD (pretty tiny by today's standards I use a portable 350GB 2.5" HDD in the car!) they are available as options on the XE

I've spotted only two XE's on the road since I've been looking over the last couple of weeks. I won't take your bet because of course the superb iii hasn't hit the streets yet so not a fair comparisons. There are plenty of superb ii round this neck of the woods though

no dissing needed and no one looking down anyone's noses at anyone else's decision as far as I can see :)

XE and Superb are great cars in their own right and what's best for one person isn't necessarily so for the next

I think I'm 99% decided btw :)

Its not an easy decision when 3 Skoda's in a row have given me a lot of trouble free driving and a heck of a lot for my money

sorry matey I am now confused as to what you were confused about! :)

not sure about the trolling comment everything seems good in this thread to me and all the opinions are actually helping me, I don't expect everyone to have the same opinions and neither does anyone else.

all the things you mentioned there on the superb aren't necessarily standard even on the L&K I think - bear in mind I am looking at manual transmission. But other than the traffic jam thingymabob and 10GB HDD (pretty tiny by today's standards I use a portable 350GB 2.5" HDD in the car!) they are available as options on the XE

I've spotted only two XE's on the road since I've been looking over the last couple of weeks. I won't take your bet because of course the superb iii hasn't hit the streets yet so not a fair comparisons. There are plenty of superb ii round this neck of the woods though

no dissing needed and no one looking down anyone's noses at anyone else's decision as far as I can see :)

XE and Superb are great cars in their own right and what's best for one person isn't necessarily so for the next

I think I'm 99% decided btw :)

Its not an easy decision when 3 Skoda's in a row have given me a lot of trouble free driving and a heck of a lot for my money

I think I'm just not cut out for forums! Too sensitive by half. Enjoy your new car! 

I do need the Superb space (I currently drive a Superb II Combi). If you don't need that space, go for the Jag.

If I compare a Superb III L&K TDI 190 DSG to a Jaguar XE diesel 180 auto with the same equipment, in Spain there's a 14K euros difference. If you don't pay the car, go for the Jag.

No doubt about the interior and exterior styling. Go for the Jag.

Last week I went to the local Jag dealer for picking up my boss, who owns a XF. I had the chance to inspect a brand new XE. The interior adjustments were clearly poor. I had never seen such clearances between pieces in a so-called premium brand. I want to believe it was a pre-market unit, but inot sure about it...

Anyway, ask your wife. At the end they always make the decision :D

Hiya,

Aye i know you were. Just thought id point out some things.

Oh, Lane Assist is on the Jag. Well ,dep lane warning. You also have an infotainment system that can say hello to your mobile, so that pretty much covers carplay, ikf perhaps in a slightly different way. Adaptive chassis (is that standard on the L&K isnt really needed on the Jag due to its superior suspension. Unsure what traffic jam assist is. Sounds like another front assist, which the Jags have.

So as i said, nothing really decent missing on the Jag, apart perhaps from the likes of ACC.

I can be a troll if you like though. I look a bit like one.

Edited by JungleJames

Last week I went to the local Jag dealer for picking up my boss, who owns a XF. I had the chance to inspect a brand new XE. The interior adjustments were clearly poor. I had never seen such clearances between pieces in a so-called premium brand. I want to believe it was a pre-market unit, but inot sure about it...

Ouch not good. May mean i have to change my belief that the Jag would have better build quality.

Your boss has good taste though!

After a string of MG Maestro's, a 620Ti Rover and then a 75 diseasal, none of which gave an ounce of bother, my brother bought a 58 XF. Worst thing he's ever clapped eyes on and has cost a fortune in repairs. You'll get some good reviews on here and some bad.

Ouch not good. May mean i have to change my belief that the Jag would have better build quality.

I'm surprised by that. I drove one last week and it all looked spot on

Amazingly ive given myself a similar choice if i decide to one day get rid of the Octy.

Superb Mk3, or XE.

Well for me the Superb failed because of its looks, and the specs. Nothing fitted just right, and id prefer not to go adding extras (anyway I could possibly go 2nd hand).

The XE on the other hand. It looks super (sorry Skoda, but Scotland have one up on Czech Republic when it comes to car design), and the Prestige spec fitted spot on.

Anyway the XE wins hands down. Sorry, hands and feet and head down. There just isnt a competition.

I havent driven the XE, but if its anything like the current XF, then it beats most things out there. Skoda just arent in the same league, not by a country mile.

Yes the L&K may provide more toys, but from what i can tell, most of them are gimmicks. A tv tuner? Oooooh just what i want in the car. Not.

Jags are very well specced even at basic trim, and the Portfolio you mention has a fantastic spec. OK perhaps one or two less gimmicks than the Superb, but everything else makes up for it.

You say you dont need a large car anymore. So, weigh it up and see what really is the sensible option.

Cost- You reckon about equal overall.

Most comfortable drive- Id hazard a guess the XE will kill off any Skoda in this respect. I like large cars for this reason, but if you are going into the executive type car, then you dont need such a large car for this respect.

Nicest interior- Jaaaaaag

Build quality- Again id take a guess at the Jaaaaaaag

So, when it comes to the head the Jaaaag wins. As for theheart, well i suspect thats the same answer.

Dont get me wrong, Skodas are brilliant, and there is very little id choose over them, but they dont come close to a Jag, So, if you can get the costs to come out about equal, you really dont have a choice. It has to be the Jag.

On the question of build quality, one has to ask why the Jag's body is guaranteed for only 6 years whereas Skoda is 11 or 12?    Who has more faith in their product, and who should know their product  better than those who make them , inside out.