Amd, Apr, Revo, Superchips Etc

DGW

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just remember that not all VAG turbo cars have wastegates. TT engines and PD engines (130 bhp upwards) have varible vane turbos which the N75 valve controls the vane opening inside the turbo.

Difference is the N75 for VV turbos works on positive pressure not vacuum.

OK. So here's the story so far.

I got my RS 'Superchips' chipped, I didn't have a choice as it's leased and the owner is a Superchips agent. I knew I wasn't going to get the power gains you Jabba types are on about but anything extra would be nice. So initially I was suprised, no massive difference in performance other than more top end, a little smoother, a little more economical. As you all know, me and engines don't really mix so I just thought 'Well that must be what a chip is about then. Pleased but not chuffed. Shame I couldn't go to Jabba.'

After a couple of weeks driving around I noticed that occasionally the engine would 'miss' slightly when accelerating strongly in third or fourth and sometimes when I lifted off the pedal. At low speeds I experienced the occasional flat spot. So I popped back to the garage and had a word. David reckoned it was overboosting (whatever that means) and a little fine tuning was required so it went in this morning for that. On picking the car up he said the adjustment would make for a more progressive delivery and on the run over to Chesterfield to Noble Motorsport the problem seemed to have been cured.

Now for what we all want to know. A very disappointing 170 bhp @ 5654 rpm and 188.9 lb/ft @ 3326 rpm. Also from what I can make of the graph, plus what they were saying at Nobles, boost is showing a maximum of just over 13 psi at around 3000 rpm. (Does that make sense?) Unfortunately they did not have another stock 1.8T 180bhp car on their system to compare with but the general consensus was 'That ain't good'.

Basically, what the hell is going on? Apart from the tweeking this morning does this explain my lukewarm welcome into the world of performance enhancements?

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

By the way, I don't have a scanner but even I can see that the bhp/torque/psi curves are rather erratic.

I'm not going for the money back thing straight away. He's obviously not doing something right and/or something isn't right. I'll let him have a go at getting it right. The downside is that unless a correction is made that pins me into my seat while I career wildly all over the road trying to control the beast that has been unleashed, I have to keep booking into Nobles in Chesterfield to test the results :(

Plus, I know it's pathetic. Don't rub it in.

More feed back required Briskoda brothers.

Rich,

the intention was not to "Rub it in", its just that pathetic is the most suitable word for it.

However this does highlight perfectly the risks of "generic" plug & pray re-maps.

Even though REVO & APR appear to be relatively consistant, Superchips seem to be a bit hit & miss.

As for the recurring RR costs, you know where to send the bill ;)

Rich,

the "drop off" in power feeling is definately htting overboost and then dropping back to normal boost levels.

Many of us have this even with Jabba. Can be tuned out and although it doesn't effect the final figures car won't have that "rush" feeling during acceleration.

If the figures you got are at the fly wheel......not so good. At the wheels, giving transmission losses, it still only slightly better than standard.

Jon had a Superchips and was getting around 200bhp. Chris also had Superchip giving around the same although he did complain is wasn't giving as much as claimed.

Were you running Optimax or unleaded? If is was UL and the figures were taken at the wheels then it's probably about right. Using Optimax gives approx. 10bhp on average. I got this from comparing those who had Jabba remaps with UL in mind and those who had the "Optimax" programme.

So, using my very rough calculations...taking a 10% transmission loss (probably incorrect) would give you around 190bhp at flywheel plus 10bhp for Optimax would give 200bhp.

You also have to figure in the accuracy of the rolling road plus bay temp and ambient pressure.

Well that's my explanation.........anyone want to come up with a wackier one?

Seriously I'm sure one of the Jedi Masters wil lahve a definitive answer for you.

Cheers.

Adrian.

Geoff,

true enough!

Just suppositioning and trying to make Rich feel a bit better as he can't get Jabba-ed.;)

Even I got 214bhp with the temp being 39deg, low pressure and a tank of dodgy Opitmax.......sorry Rich.

Personally I have always heard uncomplimentary things about Superchips although as I said Jon was happy with his.

More info here ( might cheer you up a bit, your not the first person who didn't get expected results, and probably wont be the last )

Seat cupra thread

Unless a standard car was run on the rollers just after yours, its impossible to say yours is worse than standard, only worse than standard 'quoted' figures.

My APR chipped car is going to Well Lane on Sunday, and will be run just after my brothers Vento VR6 (standard 170ish bhp), as well as other cars ( Club GTI day ). If other cars dont make expected bhp, and neither does mine, then i wont be too bothered.

Probably not as bad as you think rich, dont be to down about the figures.

Phil.

Originally posted by SkodiRS in this post

Yep...agree with you totally.

I'd be pretty p*ssed if I had the chip changed on my car and it produced less than standard.

It does rather defeat the object of a re-map doesn't it ???

Rich, if this guy tries to question the Rolling Road you used, tell him he's welcome to take it somewhere else (with you present of course) and prove everything is OK.

I strongly suspect that will not be the case though.

Rich, I am pretty sure that everyone who has their 180bhp engines Jabba remapped has seen immediate and very noticeable improvements in performance. (And those of us with the 150bhp engine get relatively awesome performance improvements!) I would ask for your money back and think again if a check by a dealer reveals no fault codes.