Rapid Family (& Specification Questions & general advice please!)

So three months and 2000 miles later after the purchase of a Spaceback 1.6TDI SE 14 Plate with 10k on the clock we are delighted with the ride, the economy and general build quality.   

I am now leaving my job to become self employer which means handing back the keys to my lease car.  With most of my available cash going to set up the company but needing a car that will of 15,000 miles a year minimum i am thinking about a TSI Rapid Hatchback to complete the set.  

The good thing about the Skoda range at the moment is the 0% and the fact my outlay up front wont be massive.  I then have a car which should so 3-4 years up to 80k very cheaply while the business is established.

With a space back and no children we don't strictly need a rapid size car and could opt for a Fabia/Polo size but for the cost it seems the Rapid is still the best value for money.  Broadspeed have a new Sport for 12.6k and an SEL at 13k.   An octavia with similar spec is going to be north of 18k although will hold its value better and is probably a slightly better car.   I see that the new 1.0TSI Golf Bluemotion can be had for 16.6k which is temptingg although 6.7% apr puts me off. 

What are peoples opinion on the options on the table?  A kid on the way in a year or so, surveying gear and football gear space needed in the boot.

Then if the Rapid is the right choice i am confused by the specification options on the ICE - I would want a DAB and Sat Nav which are both extras - £100 for the DAB, £340 for the Amundsen Sat Nav then there are further options for Smartlink, Smartgate and Bolero Head Unit).

Which of these combinations do i need to get the DAB and Sat Nav?  £440 total i assume? are the smart link and smart gate worth it (and i assume their specification clashes with the above?)

Thanks in Advance 

Edited by benbfc

Have a look at the Seat Toledo - it's the same car, but Seat often throws in the extras you are looking for as standard, where they are optional extras on the equivalent Skoda. The Seat's are also often heavily discounted on top of that as well.

• Like 2

So three months and 2000 miles later after the purchase of a Spaceback 1.6TDI SE 14 Plate with 10k on the clock we are delighted with the ride, the economy and general build quality.   

I am now leaving my job to become self employer which means handing back the keys to my lease car.  With most of my available cash going to set up the company but needing a car that will of 15,000 miles a year minimum i am thinking about a TSI Rapid Hatchback to complete the set.  

The good thing about the Skoda range at the moment is the 0% and the fact my outlay up front wont be massive.  I then have a car which should so 3-4 years up to 80k very cheaply while the business is established.

With a space back and no children we don't strictly need a rapid size car and could opt for a Fabia/Polo size but for the cost it seems the Rapid is still the best value for money.  Broadspeed have a new Sport for 12.6k and an SEL at 13k.   An octavia with similar spec is going to be north of 18k although will hold its value better and is probably a slightly better car.   I see that the new 1.0TSI Golf Bluemotion can be had for 16.6k which is temptingg although 6.7% apr puts me off. 

What are peoples opinion on the options on the table?  A kid on the way in a year or so, surveying gear and football gear space needed in the boot.

Then if the Rapid is the right choice i am confused by the specification options on the ICE - I would want a DAB and Sat Nav which are both extras - £100 for the DAB, £340 for the Amundsen Sat Nav then there are further options for Smartlink, Smartgate and Bolero Head Unit).

Which of these combinations do i need to get the DAB and Sat Nav?  £440 total i assume? are the smart link and smart gate worth it (and i assume their specification clashes with the above?)

Thanks in Advance 

First of all, decide what do you need.

Do you need boot size? Octavia > Rapid Hatch > Rapid Space > Golf > Fabia/Polo.

Do you need resale value? Golf > Octavia > Polo > Fabia > Rapid

Do you need economy? Consider getting a diesel  (although I don't know the what diesel costs in the UK compared to petrol).

Also, if I were you, I would stay away from these new super-small TSIs if I were to keep this car in the future.

Good thread I am in a similar situation myself to the thread starter.  A Seat Toledo looks like a good option a similar spec on my local Seat dealer website reads.

Toledo SE (Nav) 1.2 TSI 105PS from £16,945 OTR at 0% APR Representative with SEAT Solutions

In SE (Nav) specification, the Toledo comes with the following technology as standard:

•16” ‘Design’ alloy wheels

•Dark tinted rear windows

•Front fog lights with cornering function

•Climate control with refrigerated glovebox

•Cruise control

•Rear electric windows

•SEAT Media System 2.2

•Satellite navigation

•5” colour touch-screen

•DAB radio tuner

•SD card slot

•Bluetooth® audio streaming

or

Toledo I-TECH 1.2 TSI 105PS from £17,445 OTR 0% APR Representative with SEAT Solutions

In I-TECH specification, the Toledo comes with the following technology as standard (in addition to SE (Nav):

• 16” ‘Design’ alloy wheels with titanium finish
  • Alcantara upholstery
  • Metallic dashboard inlays

Edited by Matt_West_Mids

Looking at a Fabia which has a 330 litre boot which will get a pram etc in - They are 13k for the 1.2TSI in SEL trim and you can spec the Amundsen Sat Nav for just 300.

The toledo is a good option - there is a 64 spec for 11,995 which i am sure could be haggled down to under 11k...

Looking at a Fabia which has a 330 litre boot which will get a pram etc in - They are 13k for the 1.2TSI in SEL trim and you can spec the Amundsen Sat Nav for just 300.

The toledo is a good option - there is a 64 spec for 11,995 which i am sure could be haggled down to under 11k...

I also looked at the Fabia estate which looks slightly better than the hatch (In my opinion) but space might be overkill!

The Fabia estate is a long car and feels bigger (IMO) and more cumbersome and the rapid however it is a fantastic sized vehicle for putting all a families 'stuff' in without breaking the bank.

With the SEL Estate 1.2 TSI at 12,741 with 0% interest thats a pretty good deal for space etc. (13k with Sat Nav)

The Fabia estate is a long car and feels bigger (IMO) and more cumbersome and the rapid however it is a fantastic sized vehicle for putting all a families 'stuff' in without breaking the bank.

With the SEL Estate 1.2 TSI at 12,741 with 0% interest thats a pretty good deal for space etc. (13k with Sat Nav)

Yes that's kind of what ruled out the Octavia for me (what I originally started to look at) always fancied a VRS. :D  its only for me, my partner and one child who is currently 5 months old so comes with pram etc. So don't really need all that space.  Athough some would be nice!  the Fabia's boot sounds plenty big enough.

I have never driven anything bigger than a small 3 door hatchback so not really sure on driving a bigger car.   Need to get some test drives in I think.

Rapid / Fabia should be plenty big enough for a small family and will suite your needs.

Nice to know there is another option though with the Seat Tolado aswell while looking at the 2nd hand market.

Edited by Matt_West_Mids

Same here with the Octy VRS - would love it but with new company, money tight it is something i can't justify (for the moment!)  the fabia boot will get a pram in and should get a golf club set in.  

The rapid would swallow it all remember and the deals look pretty good on them.  But the resale is always an issue.  

p.s The space back is easy to drive and size doesn't matter esp as the fabia and space back are thin cars.

Same here with the Octy VRS - would love it but with new company, money tight it is something i can't justify (for the moment!)  the fabia boot will get a pram in and should get a golf club set in.  

The rapid would swallow it all remember and the deals look pretty good on them.  But the resale is always an issue.  

p.s The space back is easy to drive and size doesn't matter esp as the fabia and space back are thin cars.

Yes keep telling myself I'll treat myself but then can't justify the cost.  The funny thing is I didn't realise the Rapid even exsisted until last week when I spotted the sub forum on here.

I'm probably going down the PCP / PCH route so not concerned about resale if circumstances change might need to swap for a bigger car.

Listers Seat by me have a nice Toledo Special EDS 1.2 tsi 64 plate for £12,490 which looks like a good option.

Not really priced up Rapid's of similar spec so unsure how it compares.

Pre reg SEAT Toledo is probably the best buy as stated above, same price as Rapids but more toys - All old spec Toledo SE/I-tech have DAB/Satnav/Climatronic yada yada

Resale an issue? Depreciation? Don't even think of paying RRP -17k Toledo's have been out there pre-reg & zero miles for 11k.

IMHO an 18k Octavia will drop more than a Rapid/Toledo that's already been discounted to 12k and change, that's 3-5k depreciation from RRP saved already.

Buy old stock Euro 5 compliant cars now - your 16.6k / 17.4k Toledos (new model) will be more like 12-14k (or less) and the new spec upgrades are certainly not worth that difference.

Edited by camelspyyder