Disappointed with Rapid

After 10 years using my other halves car I recently purchased my first car, a skoda rapid spaceback. Initial test drive was good & with alloys and pano roof it looks great. But after 2 weeks with it im a little disappointed.

Im comparing it to my dads 2010 octavia & my brothers 2014 golf.

Drive wise its fine & mechanically id imagine its quite similar to the other two cars. The issue i see is with the little details, where corners have been cut to save costs, making the car feel dated and a little cheap.

-The dash & console storage is not thought out at all. in the golf there is a nice centre console with cup holders, ash/coin tray and a few other compartments but on the rapid there is nothing. two small cup holders that are too small for a coffee cup and that's it. the space is not utilized effectively at all. Same in the glove box, where there are places for cups in the octavia, its just left bare in the rapid.

-in the octavia, the radio goes quiet when you engage reverse, so the parking sensors can be clearly heard. no such feature in the rapid, radio stays the same volume.

-even little touches like in the octavia, the floor of the boot has a little handle to lift it out so as to access the spare wheel. in the rapid there is no handle, just a hole cut to stick your finger through to lift the floor.

-no engine cover. i thought it was a mistake when i got it first but it seems skoda just don't put engine covers on the rapid.

-although the raido is wired for aux/usb, i can select it when i press the media button on the radio the ports are not visible on the dash, i assume this is an extra and id have to install a the cable and the little port for both. it was standard in my brothers golf. 

-road noise is much louder in the rapid than the other two cars. although not terrible, the car ceratinly feels of lower quality to the other two. 

-speakers in rear doors, again this seems standard in the other two but is an extra in the rapid, although garrage didnt seem to know if it was an extra or not, suggesting that its just not built with rear speakers in mind, even if they can be retrofitted.

-no mudflaps, again standard on the other two. i think they are about 30 quid for the full set, and i can fit them myself, but again, another corner cut.

Im now also worried about the back doors filling with water due to a fault discussed on this forum. im sure there are plenty of rapids that dont have this fault, as only people who have an issue will post and happy people rarely post about how happy they are, but there does seem to be more than a few cases of this problem,making me worry a little.

What used to make skoda great value was that you got a lot of this stuff that was in Volkswagen/Audi in a car at a lower price point but it seems they are now removing a lot of that and cutting corners to save costs. I know the rapid is a budget car, but these little touches have reduced what could have been an great value for money car into something thats priced accordingly to what you get.

I have the car now, it cant go back so its mine for the next few years, but it has  given me something to think about for when im purchasing again, that if this is the direction skoda is going, then i may well be avoiding them in future and going with the recommendations i got (but ignored) and going with a hyundai or kia, as they seem to still have excellent value for money.

This isnt to rain on anyones parade, if you enjoy the rapid im happy for you, but i just expected a little more for my money and am left feeling disappointed.

I'm sorry to hear you're disappointed with your car. Which trim level is it? I ask as my SE has rear parking sensors and the radio volume does reduce when I engage reverse. I can adjust this feature myself in the Swing head unit.

Do you have a visual display of the car pop up on the CD/radio screen when you engage reverse? If not, your reverse sensors may have been fitted by the dealer rather than the factory.

Road noise isn't the car's best point, but a lot of owners blame the tyres for this. Does your car have Dunlops fitted?

I've also posted similar things to this too, I bought it thinking Skodas were now well built reliable cars. I've had my Rapid sport 4 weeks and it's had two faults, broken air direction switch, which the garage fixed but also scratched the dash and in the morning it's going back to have the doors fixed because they fill up with water, I'm dreading finding damage after they have fixed them. The car looks lovely but that's about it.

...but clearly not in the same price bracket as the Golf the OP is comparing it with.

My buddy just bought a brand new Golf TDi.  

The money he spent bought me a brand new Toledo and a brand new Ibiza.

I can't compare either of them with a Golf - it's much bigger, more modern and aimed at a different market sector.

What model do you have?  No rear speakers and No USB / audio jacks sounds like a pretty mean spec.  The newer SE Tech and SE Sport are loaded up like a Toledo with all the toys. Mine has Climate/Nav/Park/Bluetooth/Voice control/MFSW/6 Speakers/Usb connectors/cooled glovebox etc etc

Edited by camelspyyder

I'm sorry to hear you're disappointed with your car. Which trim level is it? I ask as my SE has rear parking sensors and the radio volume does reduce when I engage reverse. I can adjust this feature myself in the Swing head unit.

Do you have a visual display of the car pop up on the CD/radio screen when you engage reverse? If not, your reverse sensors may have been fitted by the dealer rather than the factory.

Road noise isn't the car's best point, but a lot of owners blame the tyres for this. Does your car have Dunlops fitted?

It was specified as the sport pack, not sure if thats the trim level but thats what the dealer said when i asked.

You are correct, the parking sensors were fitted by the garrage so no little display of which sensor is beeping when in reverse. i got them to throw it in to help seal the deal. its strange how a skoda garrage cant fit parking sensors the same as in the factory. i would assume that once they are plugged into the right ports in the radio it should all just work with a few config setting changes.

For the reversing and the Radio turning the sound down,

go into the settings and choose how much you want it to turn the sound down.

You can also have the sound increase as road noise does as you go faster.

Thanks, thats good to know, il give that a go and report back!

Well said OP.

These cars are a piece of **** :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldnt say that at all. What i am saying is that skoda were known for being great value because you got  a fit& finish that were in more expensive cars along with a few extras, but at a much lower price, making the cars extremely 

good value. now the finish is just not as good, the extras are not there any-more, making the cars about right for their price, but not really great value any-more.

I have the 17" alloys with low profile continental tires which probably doesnt help the road noise. Still expected it to be better for a 2014 car.

Quote camelspyyder:

I can't compare either of them with a Golf - it's much bigger, more modern and aimed at a different market sector.

I drove & rode in the back of my brothers golf, 2014 TDI model, it didnt feel any bigger in either respect ( didnt check the boot). It did feel to have an overall better fit and finish.

Regarding the water build up in the doors, does it affect all cars or just a few? if its a fault then i would assume its in all of them. if not then it would be an issue with parts sourced from a particular vendor or factory.

Edited by Guest

I was in one yesterday too.  I think it's wider inside and it is better finished than my Toledo. And it should have a better finish at 21k instead of 12k new.

As I said, I just bought a new Ibiza with the change.

Edited by camelspyyder

I know what you mean. My Octavia was of great quality build so was my previous one. On par with the Golf for build and equipment. That's where it ended with Skoda. My Rapid is a piece of **** I stand to my word about them. They are shoddily built for peanuts and expect us to pay VW money for them. Sorry but that's how I feel. I'm out of this after 9 years with Skoda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in one yesterday too.  I think it's wider inside and it is better finished than my Toledo. And it should have a better finish at 21k instead of 12k new.

As I said, I just bought a new Ibiza with the change.

In ireland the price difference between a golf and a rapid is not so much.

e.g. a 2015 rapid (2nd hand) with 4k on the clock is 23k euros ( 16.2k GBP). thats with pano roof, 17" wheels, parking sensors & air con. thats about it. 

In Ireland car prices are much higher ( across all makes/models) and spec is a lot lower for the money, thats just a fact of the country.

Edited by Guest

I think Skoda have made some mistakes with the Rapid, particularly in the UK, but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad a car as some folk are making out.

It isn't designed to compete with the Golf or even the Focus. Its competitors are the likes of the Ce'ed and the i30. Moreover, Skoda's strategy seems to be to compete not in terms of tech/kit or cabin materials, but interior space. The Rapid and the Spaceback have class-leading passenger space and similarly large boots. That's why I chose one over the i30 (that and the fact I prefered the layout of the dash amd there was more choice of petrol models).

If Skoda deserve any criticism, it's for fumbling the ball when it came to speccing the original UK trim lines. That seems to have been sorted now though, as UK cars are getting new engines with more power and all but the basic spec cars get decent 16 or 17 inch alloys and climate control. Skoda have just announced a decent price cut too. If that's not an admission that they mucked up, I don't know what is.

I think Skoda have made some mistakes with the Rapid, particularly in the UK, but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad a car as some folk are making out.

It isn't designed to compete with the Golf or even the Focus. Its competitors are the likes of the Ce'ed and the i30. Moreover, Skoda's strategy seems to be to compete not in terms of tech/kit or cabin materials, but interior space. The Rapid and the Spaceback have class-leading passenger space and similarly large boots. That's why I chose one over the i30 (that and the fact I prefered the layout of the dash amd there was more choice of petrol models).

If Skoda deserve any criticism, it's for fumbling the ball when it came to speccing the original UK trim lines. That seems to have been sorted now though, as UK cars are getting new engines with more power and all but the basic spec cars get decent 16 or 17 inch alloys and climate control. Skoda have just announced a decent price cut too. If that's not an admission that they mucked up, I don't know what is.

I agree, its not a bad car, I just dont think its a good value car, as skoda generally are. A price cut & increase in spec is certainly a good idea but that doesnt help anyone who bought already. thats the game i guess.

I don't think its a good value car at RRP either, and wouldn't have bought one at that price point.

In the UK with discounts on both its about 2/3 the price of a similar spec Golf.

Is it legal over there to just buy one in GB and drive it home?

Arnold Clarks have a lot of zero miles pre-reg on for £10-12k

As a taxi driver, I totally agree with OP.

I've driven both the rapid & Toledo, I was invited down to the taxi centre to test drive the Toledo which I ended up buying in the SE spec and sold it within 2 months of owning it. They are advertised and sold based on a mk1 Octavia, they say a remodeled MK1 but that's absolutely boll@cks!

I like the features a entry level Toledo comes with, BT,MFSW, start stop etc.....

Overall I hated my TOLEDO, back in a mk2 FL Octavia & it's miles ahead of both above

G

• Like 1

OP sorry to hear you are not happy with your car, just a thought for you, the USB/AUX are at the bottom of the centre console, they are easy to miss, they are above the small cup holders :)

Just for balance I have a Toledo and I love it, great car for the price and the only regret is not having the I-Tech toys :)

Edited by techie

I think that Skoda have lost their way now.  They had a reputation for building value for money cars, maybe not the best lookers (mark 2 Fabia) but value for money nevertheless.  Whilst the mark 3 Fabia is a better looker, it is far too expensive. 

If Skoda carry on this way, they will lose a fair amount of custom and reputation built up over the years.  We are seeing these types of comments on this forum already.  Hyundai and Kia have already been mentioned.  Dacia are fast filling the space once occupied by Skoda and will certainly tempt me when it comes to car change time.  

• Like 2

OP sorry to hear you are not happy with your car, just a thought for you, the USB/AUX are at the bottom of the centre console, they are easy to miss, they are above the small cup holders :)

Just for balance I have a Toledo and I love it, great car for the price and the only regret is not having the I-Tech toys :)

That was the first place i checked, as thats where i expected it to be. i then checked just under the handbrake as thats where its shown in the manual. Not in either location :( 

I know il have the car for 2 years. i cant afford to change before that, but im thinking at very least the next one will be either a Golf, or if i decided to avoid VAG il look at Honda or Hyundai/Kia.

If you don't like cheap, don't bother with Hyundai.  I went to buy an i30, and the next year an i10, and abandoned both ideas because of the cheap looking and feeling interiors.

Looking at the press reviews, they must be paying Auto Express and What Car as much as Skoda did to big up the Rapid in 2012.

Nobody should ever trust reviews from magazines and big websites. All of them get paid from the car companies and their reviews are all but trustworthy.

On the other hand, I'm sure on some Dacia forum there will be other people regretting buying their Logan or even saying Skoda is better. All car makers follow the trend "make car disposable so it will cost less and get replaced sooner".

Duster was on my short-list with the i30 and Rapid/Toledo.

Dodged a bullet there I think.

Certainly I have never heard more horror stories about used cars than from Renault buyers, so why would one risk buying their bottom-of-the-range brand.

Dacia are very popular in places like Morocco and Turkey, but how long will it take to build a solid brand reputation here?

Hyundai are, somehow, seen as good quality now in the UK, but its taken nearly 35 years to get the brand there (and I had one in '86).

Edited by camelspyyder

As a taxi driver, I totally agree with OP.

I've driven both the rapid & Toledo, I was invited down to the taxi centre to test drive the Toledo which I ended up buying in the SE spec and sold it within 2 months of owning it. They are advertised and sold based on a mk1 Octavia, they say a remodeled MK1 but that's absolutely boll@cks!

I like the features a entry level Toledo comes with, BT,MFSW, start stop etc.....

Overall I hated my TOLEDO, back in a mk2 FL Octavia & it's miles ahead of both above

G

I'd never heard that.  I thought it was a stretched-out Polo.  If its a MK1 Octy then that's a Mk4 Golf in drag.  No wonder it feels antique.