Wot no Adblue?

bilun777

I've just had a good poke around a new Yeti 150 SEL diesel in my dealers showroom while mine was being serviced.

No sign of an Adblue top up  point anywhere.

" Not fitted to the Yeti", said the salesman.

No sign of Stop/Start fitted either.

Apart from a slightly different looking radio it seemed identical to the MY15 model.

"AdBlue® and its refilling" on page 164 of the Yeti owners manual...

Also in the brochure too "Diesel engines with SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) technology require AdBlue"

The 150 engine has SCR... suspect your dealer lacks knowledge or is palming off a MY15 machine...

Filling point is in the boot to the right of where the spare tyre would be.

Definitely a 150 SEL Diesel,but it had a spare wheel fitted .

I did look under the boot floor ,but the top up point could've been under the packing pieces to the right of the spare wheel.

Looks like it's taken the place of the box where the compressor and gunk or jack was, wonder where the compressor and towing eye will be now if you don't have a spare wheel. 

I've just had a good poke around a new Yeti 150 SEL diesel in my dealers showroom while mine was being serviced.

No sign of an Adblue top up point anywhere.

" Not fitted to the Yeti", said the salesman.

No sign of Stop/Start fitted either.

Apart from a slightly different looking radio it seemed identical to the MY15 model.

What makes you think there was no stop start?

I have a MY16 150 TDI, spare wheel and removable tow bar. You can see the AdBlue cap looking straight down through the tow bar without removing the bar or polystyrene box.

What makes you think there was no stop start?

There was no button to disable it fitted below the heater controls.

I'm sure my previous Greenline had one.

Perhaps a current Greenline owner could cofirm?

Forgive my ignorance but what the hell is Adblue ?

Is this something related to all diesel models ?

Had my Octy 2.0 TDi for 4 months and no mention of Adblue from the dealer  :dull:

On a similar note:-

- How much does AdBlue cost for a fill up?

- How far does it go, ie how miles?

- Would a Sevice & Maintenace contact cover the top-up required?

Colin

AdBlue is a trade name that has become a generic word used to describe the weak urea solution that is dosed into the selective catalytic reduction (SCR) unit in the exhaust to reduce the levels of NOx (nitrogen oxides, cause health problems, smog etc).

I know in trucks they talked in the region of 4-6% of fuel use for AdBlue back when Euro V was launched, but many operators found this to be optimistic and were using much more. The problem is that when the tank runs out the ECU will usually either drop the engine to a limp mode, or shut it down completely.

On a similar note:-

- How much does AdBlue cost for a fill up?

- How far does it go, ie how miles?

- Would a Sevice & Maintenace contact cover the top-up required?

Colin

If you get a dealer to do it loads, I have heard £11 for ½ ltr bottle.... buy one bottle from the dealer (they have a special non drip screw fitting) empty the bottle into the tank, cut a hole in the bottom of the bottle and fill it up from a 10ltr bottle bought from most petrol stations for around £15... or fill a bottle from the pump as its even cheaper!

Again it is speculation how long it will last, but it is estimated to be 10K miles plus between fill ups

I doubt any contract will not cover it as its a consumable item (like diesel)

If you run out of Adblue then the engine will continue to run.... BUT it will not start again until you have put some more into the tank.

Adblue is also highly corrosive so you need to pay utmost attention not to spill any (especially as the filler is inside the boot!)

The moment I saw the Adblue filler next to the fuel filler cap it said to me that it will need to be filled up fairly regularly... about 1 ½ ltrs for every tankful of fuel

£20 at halfords for a 4l "starter kit"

or £18 for a 10l bottle from Amazon

In addition, from the owners manual: The AdBlue® tank capacity is about 8.5 litres, the AdBlue® consumption

amounts to around 0.8 - 1.2 l / 1000 km. So worse case scenario refill every 4400 miles :p

Checking the level

The AdBlue® level is automatically monitored.

With too little AdBlue® in the tank the distance that can be driven with the remaining

AdBlue® amount is shown in the instrument cluster display » page 33,

AdBlue level too low.

› At least 4.5 litres of AdBlue® should be replenished, otherwise, after covering

the displayed distance no engine start is possible.

The distance, which can still be driven with the remaining AdBlue®,can be determined

using the multi-function display (MFD) » page 44.

Sounds expensive!

Last time I filled a truck up with it (mine doesn’t use it but my boss’s does) it was something like 67p per litre (at the pump) ... BUT it is usually over £1 per litre at the pump

As some may know from another thread I'm in the market for a Yeti and have started looking at them/researching in more detail. One of the things that I'm thinking is why have they bothered with a new (well slightly!) 2016 MY car given that a completely new car is in the wings?

Good news for me though as I like the current shape and it's 0% on new cars at the moment.

clv101 - how are you finding your Yeti as that's probably the one I shall go for? What spec.is it?

Chris

I think they had to change over to EU6 engines by September, and the MY16 doesn't really change anything except the engines.

So far so good, only been some 300 miles though and haven't really pushed the engine or brakes yet. I've got SE 4x4, options I went for: tow bar, spare, DAB, lumber support, folding passenger seat, off-road button. The folding seat is really useful, dramatically increasing the size of things you can move. The spare wheel does raise the boot floor, costing a lot of volume.