Wot no Adblue?

bilun777

Noticed on a long 4k coach tour back in 2013, the drivers filled up the adblue at least three times that I witnessed on a Euro V spec coach.

Just glad I've got a late Euro V motor on my return to diesel with the V40   :whew:

About time we shook off the EU shackles me thinks but seeing what's happened to the poor Greeks, its not an easy club to get out of unscathed   :S

TP

I suspect as adblue becomes the norm on diesel cars, forecourts will soon adapt with easy top up facilities. The Kwik Fits of this world may also cash in.

As for why the engine change so late in the models life. I suspect that MY16 owners are being used as testers for the new Yeti's oily bits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Noticed on a long 4k coach tour back in 2013, the drivers filled up the adblue at least three times that I witnessed on a Euro V spec coach.

Just glad I've got a late Euro V motor on my return to diesel with the V40   :whew:

About time we shook off the EU shackles me thinks but seeing what's happened to the poor Greeks, its not an easy club to get out of unscathed   :S

TP

Just to be pedantic, the coach will have been Euro V whereas the car will be Euro 5. It's a subtle but important difference, because heavy duty and light duty vehicles have different emissions requirements and they are published on different schedules. They are differentiated by Roman or Arabic numerals.

• Like 1

I don't know.... it's a small price to pay for better air quality...

True but we could do even better by taking a lead in discouraging population expansion, rather than putting sticking plasters on its result. Government's got it wrong with the current expansion message; super fast train lines, more runways, houses (which we don't have the resources to service with power and water anyway) etc.

That's getting far to political for one day mind  :D

TP

• Like 4

I think they had to change over to EU6 engines by September, and the MY16 doesn't really change anything except the engines.

So far so good, only been some 300 miles though and haven't really pushed the engine or brakes yet. I've got SE 4x4, options I went for: tow bar, spare, DAB, lumber support, folding passenger seat, off-road button. The folding seat is really useful, dramatically increasing the size of things you can move. The spare wheel does raise the boot floor, costing a lot of volume.

Suspected that may be the case with the engines as they can then be carried over to the new models.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking at sat nav, spare, parking sensors and tow-bar.

Will look at what they have in stock as previous model without Adblue will be worthy of consideration.

Will look at what they have in stock as previous model without Adblue will be worthy of consideration.

Take a look at the fuel consumption for both, for example on my MKII Superb 170CR the average mpg was around 50 mpg and cost around £145 to tax (that is what our 170CR Yeti just cost to tax)

Yet the new 190CR MKIII Superb has a claimed mpg of over 10mpg more than the older Euro5 engine yet it costs just £30 a year to tax,

in summary you will not use anywhere near £100 worth of adblue per year

(0.8L - 1.2L of adblue per 1,000kms, adblue can be bought for less than £1 per ltr... it’s 60p at a BP near us)

I think the writing's on the wall for small diesel engines in PMC's. On top of all the ongoing new and exciting "eco" legislation being imposed on such engines every year, making them more expensive and problematic to run, the local politicians are now getting in on the act with Islington council imposing a £100 per year surcharge on parking permits in their borough in addition to the normal charges.

That's been my view for sometime now and why I've been in a bit of a quandary as to what engine type to go for.

I just wish they'd use a bigger petrol in the SE L, say a 1.6 version of the tsi and I would have been swayed. As it is I'm probably sticking with my original plan of a 2.0 TDI and it will be the last diesel that I have.

Just about 30K miles done in my Yeti in 17 months ownership.

Talking to my other half about next engine, if to be petrol or diesel.

Sounds like a petrol version is on the cards, due to the hassle of filling the adblue where the filler is.

I'm used to trucks with the tanks next to each other.

Still maybe, Skoda will put the Adblue filler in a more accessible place in their future model as the present

place looks very much like an after thought or a 'Oh! just bung it there'

On the MKIII Superb they have sited the adblue filler cap right next to the fuel filler cap. 

(This is an Audi Q3... but it’s in the same place)

2015-Audi-Q3-2.0-TDI-quattro-Facelift-Ty

Just about 30K miles done in my Yeti in 17 months ownership.

Talking to my other half about next engine, if to be petrol or diesel.

Sounds like a petrol version is on the cards, due to the hassle of filling the adblue where the filler is.

I'm used to trucks with the tanks next to each other.

Still maybe, Skoda will put the Adblue filler in a more accessible place in their future model as the present

place looks very much like an after thought or a 'Oh! just bung it there'

Yeah, it actually will be an afterthought as the present model wasn't designed to accommodate it from day 1 unlike the example of the Mk III Superb. The panel would need modifying to take the extra filler and they aren't going to do that on a soon to be replaced model.

Well, I've lumbered myself with the Adblue as I've ordered an SE L 110PS FWD. At least it won't need filling often with the mileage it will be doing! 

Edited by VAGCF

If the adblue is as corrosive as they state then one little slip and a lot of damage could occur to the paintwork.

That's one of the reasons I didn't really want it.

Funny how with all the H&S nonsense (well, some of it) it's OK for the average Jo (if he decides to refill it himself) to handle that kind of stuff for the sake of the environment. At least if you ever have to fill a battery with acid (increasingly less so these days) you can do it away from the car/bike.

Having to add something separately seems like a real bodge to me and reminds me of when you had to add two-stroke oil to motorbikes and scooters.

Adblue isn't very harmful to people or the environment, if at all. It's basically watered down pigs p*ss (though the manufacturers will beg to differ!). No, it isn't a great idea to splash it on paintwork or bare metal, but then you wouldn't p*ss on your car, would you? For the very few times a year that you'd have to refill the tank, I don't think it's a major hassle. There's a lot of it used in bus depots and if it was dangerous, H&S and the unions would soon have kicked it out.

http://uk.air1.info/en/all-about-adblue/what-is-adblue/

All of that said, it is in effect increasing the cost of each litre of diesel that you buy, so that needs to be factored in when you compare running costs with a petrol alternative. It's all part of the thumbscrews that are being tightened on diesel fuel. Remember that a litre of diesel contains 11% more calories than a litre of standard unleaded (So don't have too much of it (joke :) ) and takes less effort to produce than petrol. It's a shame it's being 'beaten up'.

Edited by Citigopher