Timing chain

Just had my Furby serviced and mot and for a while i have had a rattling sound coming from the engine but as it is not all the time i thought nothing major. The mechanic said it's the timing chain guides which are wearing and might need changing if the noise gets more and more consistent. It's 5 years old with 32000 on the clock, i thought the chain would not need changing till around 60000, has anyone had this. 1.2 TSI 85.

When was your car built? If it was before early 2011 there's a good chance that it has a substandard chain and tensioner that really should be replaced sooner rather than later.

Edited by jim157

There would not be a 'Recall' this is Skoda UK, not even a Service Campaign,.

I think there is a TPI though.

Fair shout.

Would it be fair game to try for a goodwill gesture after just 32k miles do you think george?

After all, it should last the life of the engine really shouldnt it.

Here we go again….

Read this thread:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/344005-12tsi-cam-chain-problem/

The full price at a main dealer should be around £700 maximum. £1,300 is just ludicrous.

Price could be a lot less if you get a goodwill contribution from Skoda as it is a known issue. I got a contribution even though the car was nearly 5 years old. But you need to have low mileage and a full dealer service history.

There is a lot of disinformation floating about over this issue. It is not due to manufacturing defects in either the chain, guides or tensioner  unlike the 1.4TSI where chain defects were caused by a worn out by a die stamping machine. (I did a great deal of research on this issue).

VAG tried various fixes such as revised chain tensioner and chain, but these did not fix the issue 100%.  The latest official repair kit provides re-designed chain and both top and bottom sprockets along with new tensioner and guides. It remains to be seen if this finally fixes the problem.

The timing chain guides do not wear prematurely unless the chain itself has stretched. The mechanic needs to check the actual chain stretch – if it is over 74 mm (I think that’s the threshold but a dealer can confirm that) then the chain is shot and it will wear out the guides as it flaps about.

If you have a full service history take it to a Skoda dealer who can measure the stretch properly and make a proper diagnosis, and then possibly get you a goodwill contribution.

If the chain needs replacing I would suggest you take it to a Skoda dealer and not an independent.  As both the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets have to be removed to install the latest kit it’s a more tricky job to ensure that the timing does not slip. The mechanic needs special tools to do this job.

Make sure they fit part S03F198158B (or later revision number) and NOT an earlier repair kit (or one manufactured by a third party like Reveille) which is of doubtful value.

PS: Waiting for the noise to become more "consistent" is very bad advice in my opinion. If the chain has stretetched it can let go at any time and lunch the engine.

• Like 3

Does anyone know roughly how many 1.2 TSI's have actually had chain problems - from what I have read it seems to occur around the 30 thousand mile mark for those affected. If the problem will definitely occur then I'll get mine replaced now before problems start. On the other hand if it is a relatively small number affected I will probably wait to see what happens. The problem searching the internet for this information is that other issues, such as tappet noise on start up, HP fuel pump tapping and turbo waste gate rattle are sometimes reported as chain noise.

Webbo, I'm not an authority on the 1.2TSI engines (don't tech on VAG officially), xman is, so he can probably answer the question better than me. However, my VAG tech friend says it's not as common as you may think. Although higher than average numbers of cars do get problems with the chain from that period, it doesn't necessarily mean loads of cars get the problem, although he's done a few just this year. The later ones are ok. It's worth remembering that having a cam chain on any engine doesn't necessarily mean it's going to last the life of the engine. Many don't. They also can still break, usually due to tensioner problems or lubrication issues. Timing belts (cam belts) are pretty trouble free if serviced correctly and much simpler and often quieter.