DSG7 noise when changing gears

I've been following this topic for a while now as I have the same issue. The noise appears sporadically in gearshifts between 1-2 and 2-3. 1.4TSI DSG7 Built Dec 2013 and done 24000KM.

Had the car at the dealers yesterday and they confirmed the problem and are going to change both clutches later this month. Although after following this topic I'm not too confident that this will cure the problem permanently.

Do any of you guys have an update on the status of your attempted fixes?

My status is still the same - nothing has worked (clutches replaced twice, the current ones started making the noise after two months and about 3000 km).

I got an update from the dealer who consulted with the factory. Another updated version of the clutch assembly should be available on week 22 this year. Their comment about the problem is that it is caused by dust collecting inside the clutch assembly. As a temporary fix, I was instructed to aggressively accelerate uphill a few times, both forward and reverse, to clean the clutches. So far, this has only made the sound worse until next startup.

Thanks for the update, Mardu.

My car is scheduled for the clutch replacement in the end of week 20. I will ask if this is the updated version.

Let's hope they're finally able to provide us with a permanent solution.

I had my gearbox software upgraded and clutches replaced for the second time a couple of weeks ago. Problem seems to be fixed for now, but it wouldn't really surprise me if the problem shows up again before the year is over. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

• 1 month later...

I don't think that my car makes any wrong sounds from dsg7 box.... but I have a sliding clutch problem and so do many others.... this link I to a Danish Vw/Skoda/Audi forum.

Link is Translate by Google

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=da&ie=UTF8&nv=1&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.dk&sl=da&tl=en&u=http://www.vagcars.dk/phpbb/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D73%26t%3D117621&usg=ALkJrhhwPDfi8mwEUvc1NkBg-qdSbLGUqA

Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

@Mardu, how's the new clutches?

My car is starting to have the same problem. My issue pretty much mirrors Torx's description.

The problem is very intermittent. How do you go about showing the issue to the garage? I assume they won't do a great job of diagnosing or fixing the prob if they can't reproduce it :-(

They've been fine so far.

You can film the issue when it appears and show the video to the dealer. There should be some info about new clutches from the factory available to them now, so they shouldn't be in the dark.

Skoda extended the DSG plant in CZ in 2015.. New equipment, improved efficiency and greatly increased production.

Lovely stuff.

But if any Skoda or Skoda Dealership employee says they resolved the issues, tell them they wish.

Nothing is 100% reliable, but you would think VW had time to sort out Quality control of Manufacturing and parts.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/408368-dsg-clutch-packs

If Skoda employees do not recognise the issues when first reported it is because they are Deaf, Dumb and Blind, 

and not really paying attention to what they sell.

Edited by GoneOffSKi

Thanks for replying guys!

@GoneOffSki, you replied to the other fellow in the linked post that new mechanics would also be required. Is that a fix that is required in all cases or just in his case since he was seeing more than just the whining noise problem?

I have extended warranty for 5 years (approx 4 remaining) but I'd much rather they did a proper fix first time rather than it fail again within warranty. What is the best way to persuade then to do a complete fix?

As the DSG is a very complex system with lots of different parts, there may not be a fix that works for everybody except replacing the whole gearbox. I'm pretty sure that trying to replace clutches first solves lots of problems, replacing mechatronics unit solves a lot of others and is cheaper for Škoda. There are probably some DSGs that are so bad that replacing even the mechatronics unit wouldn't solve anything. I'm not that worried about my car as there are 3 years of warranty left and previously the problem has appeared pretty quickly (1-3 months). Also, I can return the car so it wouldn't be my problem any more. It's just a bit annoying.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

My 1.2 TSI DSG had a squealing problem in 1-3-5 gears when warmed up.

Skoda accepted problem and after 2 days inspection they are going to to change the clutch pack but have to send for special tools so sometime next week???

They referred to TPI2042705/4  Does anybody know what this is and what it refers to?

PS: Have a brand new 66 plate Fabia Monte Carlo as courtesy car,, very nice and nippy but not a patch comfort wise on my Octivia.

Edited by Bidey

• 1 year later...

In the UK Service campaign '34H5' was started late 2016.

That is a Software Update on some DQ200 produced between 2013 & 2015.

So best check in Denmark if that is something that applies to you DSG but it should not if a 2016 model.

Then there is an issue with some DQ200 from 2014 / 15 on.

I will link you the thread from the Fabia Mk3 section.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/439395-the-story-of-the-famous-dq200-clutch-slip/?page=6 

Edited by AwaoffSki

@AwaoffSki do you happen to have more details on Service Campaign 34H5 and what issues / symptoms it addresses? For over a year now my DSG box will make a squealing sound on change from 1->2 and 2->3 when the car is under sufficient load and specifically when the car is warmed up having done some 10-15plus miles of stop start town driving.

I've had a go at taking the car to the dealer to investigate and also sent them a video with sound of the issue. Due to the fact that the car has to be suitably driven around before it will exhibit the problem they weren't able to reproduce the issue (and they only try from cold start) and closed the issue. Any tips on how to get them to investigate? I'm coming to the end of the 3 year warranty this year (car built April/May'15) but I took out the extended warranty when I purchased the car so should be ok for a couple more years?

I'm also finding the car seems to hold onto 2nd gear longer than I would expect ( I drive in Eco mode all the time and I notice it holds onto second gear into 2000RPM plus). Dunno if that's normal or just me being paranoid. This was also reported when I took the car in regarding the DSG squeal.

2 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Is da Pope a Catholic ?

I sometimes wonder if @AwaoffSki knows more than Skoda themselves

Skoda UK should use these forums as a technical knowledge base in case they don't already! :D

'34H5' is the fix that came about because of leaks from DQ200 DSG after 2013 with Mineral Oil from the factory.

Overheating, pressure, cracks, leaks & DQ200 needing new Mechatronic Units.

As you will find thanks to a German Member finding the information on a Russian Forum.

Skoda UK can tell you if you ask, as should Skoda in any other country.

Various issue can show from a small leak, behaviour of shifts, a Overheating cog sign warning, or a 'White Spanner' flashing.

There are 28 different versions on the DQ200 produced.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/437937-advice-needed-faulty-gearbox-or-just-mechatronic-unit 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/425419-dsg-gearbox 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/438569-mechatronic-failure-dsg

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/422718-rapid-recall-dsg 

Edited by AwaoffSki

themanwithnoaim, says in one of the threads that he ran the same DSG with no issues, 

but then it had the service campaign done and the software update.  Maybe why no issues, the 'Update/ 'patch' was carried out in time.

It is supposed to be a preventative measure, as '34F7' was, 2009-2013 World Wide Recall, but a Service Campaign in the UK from 2014.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/424484-dsg7-software-update 

Edited by AwaoffSki

My DSG is still fine since June 2016. The third clutch pack (an updated one) seems to have fixed the issue.

My symptoms were exactly the same as @RB79 - everything had to be warmed up, hot weather and towing a trailer made it more likely to appear. And yes, the gearshifts were delayed, although not "holding on to the gear" but more like "until the gearbox has finished whining, you'll not get the next gear".

@Mardu the prolonged stay in 2nd gear is always observed, regardless of noise/warming up. The engineer at the dealership said that was normal. :o

On a separate but potentially related note, should DSG somewhat freely allow you to shift up and down gears when you put into semi automatic mode? I noticed mine won't let me shift to 2nd gear or above at low revs (below the 1750 RPM mark) which can be desirable when you're driving in snow.

Regards,

Rajiv

9 minutes ago, RB79 said:

On a separate but potentially related note, should DSG somewhat freely allow you to shift up and down gears when you put into semi automatic mode? I noticed mine won't let me shift to 2nd gear or above at low revs (below the 1750 RPM mark) which can be desirable when you're driving in snow.

DSG still protects the engine from too high or too low revs so it will upshift or downshift even in semi-automatic mode. 1750 rpm seems a bit high though.

• Like 1